Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
87,331 Posts

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Brian Hayes is a little bit late to this one! It was discussed at great length in the UK last year, but it seems to have gone very quiet for a year or so, which may be good news or not. I've read nothing recently in any MSA publication.

As I understand European law (i.e. hardly at all!) a directive only becomes law when it is implemented by member countries. It does appear that Ireland, the UK & Germany were working together to have motor sport exempted from this one.

One thing's for sure: the day my reports become evidence in a claim for car damage by one driver against another is the day I'll stop acting as a Post Chief (observer)!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Not just Ireland, and that's why in the end it most likely there'd be a special dispensation for race cars/bikes, trackdays and in general vehicles that aren't road registered anyway.

Some bits of the ruling are actually interesting:

Writing in this week’s NLJ, solicitor Nicholas Bevan says that last month’s ruling in Damijan Vnuk v Zavarovalnica Triglav C-162/13 extends third party motor insurance (TPMI) to cover “any motor vehicle, and any use made of such vehicles, provided it is a normal function of that vehicle, anywhere on land”.

Bevan says the decision has immediate, obvious and far-reaching implications for our statutory and extra-statutory provision for TPMI in the UK and affects millions of motor insurance policies that all contain unlawful restrictions and exclusions of liability.
It could easily be argued that a road car's/bike "normal function" is transport and doesn't include racing on a track (the Vnuk case revolves around a tractor doing...tractory stuff in a farm). This assertion can be based on the fact the car/bike doesn't have racing tires and equipment, so a trackday would be seen as an "improper use" and under the driver's responsibility. It remains to be seen what will be done with track-specific vehicles...and lawnmowers, or your kid's battery toy car (it is a "motor vehicle").

For road vehicles, the rule might have a good effect - if you read the third party policy exclusions, they tend to be very specific; technically speaking, If somebody drove through your garden and into your living room, an insurer could attempt to wiggle out of paying because the final "incident" effectively happened on private land and outside of the public road :D

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Is this the same directive that theoretically requires me to have insurance for a ride on lawn mower? They can whistle for that....

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
This is the case law derived directive that means I couldn't go around killing and maiming people on private land
with any motorised contraption I so choose and my insurance company then refuse to pay out?
What is the EU coming to?!?!?! :tut:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts