Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Come on then, who in their youth used to own a moped and what was it?

When I was very much younger I had a Yamaha DT50MX with a 60cc Big bore kit, and racing reeds, 50mph was easy... :p

I am actually thinking of buying another DT50 or TS50 just to relive my youth, but some of them are pretty expensive now. The older pre-restricted ones with pedals are serious cash for a good one now.

I had a few 125's as well as an RXS100 but I would need to do my CBT again if I wanted one of those where as I have a full Moped licence with my car licence...

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate, I shall have a look for that.

Don't suppose you have a link? :D

G

·
It was on Top Gear mag a few months ago, it was well worth a read kinda funny too. I prefer reading his stuff than the other lads now.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I didn't ride a bike until i got my full license then went for a 500. My dad though (who wasn't allowed a bike in his youth) wanted a Moto Rumi - apparently they used to race them. I tried to find one to buy as a pressie but they're rare as hens teeth. The only one i found was over £4k. I have to say they look hideous as well but each to their own! We used to go to a farm in Wales actually and i remember hooning across the fields on a C90 - i would have been 12 or so. Great fun and have a smashing photo taken by a frend of my folks. My mum freaked when she saw it!

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
I had a Suzuki AP 50 in 78 or 79, the first of 32 bikes before I realised I was not indestructible..:)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Symon, I too had a DT50 MX in June 1982 , standard except for a replacement rear can, don't think it made any difference to the speed but it sounded faster LOL.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pretty sure it was the first section of the exhaust that was restrictive on the DT.

I had a go on one with a proper expansion shaped pipe on it (Gianelli I think?) and it gave the bike a much more defined powerband, but less torque at the bottom.

That one would do 50mph with just the standard 49cc

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I am pretty sure it was the first section of the exhaust that was restrictive on the DT.

I had a go on one with a proper expansion shaped pipe on it (Gianelli I think?) and it gave the bike a much more defined powerband, but less torque at the bottom.

That one would do 50mph with just the standard 49cc
Your right, mine just sounded better, it did coke up pretty quickly which blunted the speed even more, only other mod was to adjust the suspension to the maximum giving it even more ground clearance.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
My son had a Kawasaki AR50 when he was sixteen. I used to hear him take off ,change gear about 4 times, then I'd look out of the window and he was only fifty yards up the street:lol:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I was given a James Comet by a relative when I was sixteen. 98cc Villiers engine with a 2 speed box, flat out at 40. I always had a fancy for a Garelli Monza Special. 50cc, 4 speed box and good for about 60. Looked like a miniature cafe racer. I think they sold for about £150, but I couldn't afford it.

Garelli Monza Special

·
Registered
666 Posts
Had a FS1E when I were a lad, then discovered that girls preferred cars so I bought a beige metro:eek:

Finally did my bike test about 10 years ago and have recently found out that I'm not indestructible either. However, I will persuade my old dad that it really is time he sold his 1961 bonnie to his first born, as she has not been ridden in 8 years:cheese:

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I am still toying with the idea of buying one.

Part of the reason is that with most of them you can do them up and add value, where as if you spend money on the car it is rare you get it back.
I reckon I could buy one, mess about till the end of the summer, stick it in the shed over winter then sell it on in the spring and hopefully make a few quid.

Going to look at an Aprilia RS50 tomorrow, although it is more expensive than I really wanted to spend.

Had a look at a Suzuki TS50X at the weekend and it needed loads doing to it. That would have been fine but it was also too expensive considering it needed the work.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Yamaha FS1-M (restricted) with a Jama exhaust and carburetor jets from the FS1-E... managed 48mph.. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after having a ride on a de-restricted 50cc 4 stroke scooter I have decided that I need something with a bit more poke.

40-45mph isn't enough, unless you fancy cars overtaking you in dangerous places, cutting you up etc.

I have agreed to buy an RXS100. In fact it is actually 2 RXS100's, as it comes with another complete bike in bits.

I will have to do my CBT again though.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,447 Posts
I had a Honda SS50 when I was 16. I polished the lettering off it :D

I recently bought an FS1M, the 80s version of the E, but sold it without really using it. I'm looking at getting something else though, just a moped so I can ride it on my car licence without L plates and a CBT :)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The one my dad has just bought is a Chinese Scooter.

Not my thing, but it is pretty good considering it cost £600 brand new on the road.

A few bad things are written about them, and it is true the quality isn't up to japanese standards but they cost about half the price. The engine is a Honda unit anyway.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just collected this.

She is in really nice condition for a 26 year old, but there are still a few bits that can be improved cosmetically.

Now I have to do my CBT again (For the third time) :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts