Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just sharing incase anyone is thinking of buying/renewing.

I was following the "How To: Infotainment Updates" topic and checked on Home to see if my car had any map downloads last month. You have to create an account and enter your VIN. Now 1 month later im being emailed a reduced price for a 3yr plan. So there are savings to be had if you dont mind waiting:

·
Registered
416 Posts
With many navigation apps available for iPhone and Android for next to nothing, I'm not bothered about updating mine for that sort of money! The likes of maps.me work very well and use offline maps so they don't eat your mobile data quota either.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I really fail to understand why Alfa have not enabled a facility to simply renew this online.

If they did I'm sure many more people would do so.

It requires no intervention by a dealer as far as the vehicle is concerned & is simply linked to the VIN.

Personally I use Waze these days and almost never use the car sat nav.

Reactions: jwq

·
Registered
693 Posts
I saw that offer and was interested until I saw somebody post that they had to have the car stationary and running for an hour and half whilst the 10gb file was installed.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
I saw that offer and was interested until I saw somebody post that they had to have the car stationary and running for an hour and half whilst the 10gb file was installed.

Not true, the update can be done whilst driving.

Reactions: Pearse and jwq

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I had the same email for my Guilia that I sold last month. I'd been badgering the dealer network for this for months but got nowhere. I know there are many apps etc availabe for smartphones but the early cars don't have Apple carplay etc so its a nice way of upgrading the inbuilt satnav imho and still only having the cars Satnav to rely on. I like the TOMTOM interface and it does seem to be the best supported in my experience. As JWQ says plug in the USB and go for a drive it takes about 40-50minutes, just don't turn off the ignition till it completes, it doesn't restart from where you left off!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ok that's good. I just read the screen and it's says update while car is not in motion so assumed it had to be stationary. I do like that standard satnav with the arrowed summary in-between rev and Speedo dials. It seems to show slow traffic as well so just be able to gather traffic info. somehow.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I thought the traffic reports etc where pretty good, despite it not being the latest tech on a 2017 car. Traffic reports and jams used some other technology I don't really know about but is pretty good, offering alternative routes etc.

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
I thought the traffic reports etc where pretty good, despite it not being the latest tech on a 2017 car. Traffic reports and jams used some other technology I don't really know about but is pretty good, offering alternative routes etc.
It uses the RDS-TMC channel via the radio for traffic info

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
Ok that's good. I just read the screen and it's says update while car is not in motion so assumed it had to be stationary. I do like that standard satnav with the arrowed summary in-between rev and Speedo dials. It seems to show slow traffic as well so just be able to gather traffic info. somehow.

you just need to START the update while stationairy, once started you can just drive.....

·
Registered
576 Posts
For Info if anyone is interested in renewing this offer it is still current.

Gianni at LC Motors has just sorted me out with a 3 year subscription for £99. (y)

Reactions: SarGara and jwq

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Am I alone in never having used the inbuilt sat nav? Waze on Apple Carplay is my app of choice. I still have nearly two years of free updates but no way am I paying when something better, imo, is available at no charge

·
Registered
693 Posts
Waze is very good, but it's not strictly free to use as it uses mobile phone data, but I do get what you mean as it's always up to date, especially with reported potholes, obstacles etc. I've just got back from a 500 mile tour around South Wales and the inbuilt system didn't miss a bit. There were a couple of occasions however where it was quicker to search for a location on my phone and get directions in Google maps from that rather than finding the postcode and then entering it into the car system. As I don't have Android auto or a phone holder I only do this as a backup really.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I was very loyal to the inbuilt TOMTOM Satnav, but using Apple Carplay and that Waze app looks good and a very good way of getting the in car display to look like an integrated system. I'm going to try the Calimoto app on the car but it's for motorbikes so might not work too well for a car on a congested road? Who knows?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Another plus for Waze is that it often shows you the mobile speed traps as these are inputted by other Waze users.
I for one also put them up if I see one that has not been reported.
Even if not using it for navigation I always have it running for that reason alone. (y)

Reactions: m&ms and Muz

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Another plus for Waze is that it often shows you the mobile speed traps as these are inputted by other Waze users.
I for one also put them up if I see one that has not been reported.
Even if not using it for navigation I always have it running for that reason alone. (y)
I have often wondered how you put up warnings for other users, especially if driving alone. Please educate me :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have often wondered how you put up warnings for other users, especially if driving alone. Please educate me :)
There is s small orange icon bottom right hand corner.
Tap on that then a number of report options come up.

Reactions: Muz

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There is s small orange icon bottom right hand corner.
Tap on that then a number of report options come up.
Thanks, so easy when you know how. I will use it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts