Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at driving down to Monza for the GP in early Sept.

Are any of you lot going/driving down? If so what are your suggestions on route/plan, etc.

I have looked at the following agenda, but am open to any ideas (and would welcome extra stops on the journey, as well as non-motorway roads... such as the mountain passes).

Day 1 (Thursday): Early Chunnel to Calais, then break the back of journey on the first day, by getting to Geneva for c.8pm (in time for dinner)
Day 2 (Friday): Swiss breakfast, followed by a leisurely drive (around the big lake) down over the hills and into Monza for late afternoon (for an espresso)
Day 3 (Saturday): Qualifying, Porsche Supercup, then hit the town for pizza!
Day 4 (Sunday): The 58th Gran Premio D'Italia at the Autodromo di Monza (Monza formula 1 circuit info, 2012 formula one gp racing timetable)
Day 5 (Monday): Depart Italy (with some more espresso) and head for Champagne country. Arrive c.7pm for glass of bubbles, followed by dinner in Épernay.
Day 6 (Tuesday): Spend the morning stocking up on Champers, visit one of the caves, have some lunch, and then head back to the Chunnel for c.7pm. Home by 9pm.

Cheers
JR

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Interesting - i may look into this

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom,

I've booked my hotels now and instead of rushing to Geneva, I'm doing the first night in Champagne region (Epernay), then onto Geneva for second night.
Have also decided to do 3 nights in Antibes after the GP as well! May as well make a holiday out of it !

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I've done Monza before and its one of the best, are you camping at the park? Monza itself is a small village and Milan is the place to visit and eat. I have never driven there always flown though. Be sure to have a good walk around as the old banked track is blended with the new and when you get onto it you wonder how Fangio et al raced on it.:cool: Ascari chicane is one of the best places if you want to see the white of drivers eyes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi EauRouge,

Not camping unfortunately... as going with the girlfriend... so we're in a hotel in Milan, close to the station.

We've got grandstand tickets for the Rettifilo chicane at the end of the start/finish straight... but will hopefully get around the whole circuit over the weekend!

Any other tips are welcome...will be my first GP (as long as the Alfa gets me there!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts