Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt so smug today I had to tell you all,
I work in the Historic Restoration sector, (English Heritage and the like) and spend alot of time at stately homes and country manor houses, today I was at a rather large estate in Ripon, now I must be discreet for obvious reasons but I am sure if by any chance the 'wedged up' gent subscribes to AO he will know who he is, anyway I digress... the Spider needed some motion lotion so Mrs SpiderMonkey kindly allowed me to take it work which today was a site visit to a contract I finished over 12 months ago (defects period incase anything needs looking at) so as I pulled into the long gravel drive I parked at the intercom and announced myself, one of the butlers opened the remote gate and I parked at the rear of the wing which houses the swimming pool!!! I met the contractor at the damaged door to the garage and swung open the double doors to reveal a wonderful pristine pair of classic motors, one is a green E type open top and the other a fantastic Pre war Bentley, the Lord of the Manor came over to question what we were upto? so I introduced myself again, as I had done every time I had been to the estate (stuck up a**eh**e) then he said "I think you've been here before but we have so many workers around here I simply loose track" simply loose your grip on reality I thought.
"I can see your admiring the cars, you would probably have to work a lifetime to own even one of those I suppose?, I have another 3 in the main garage but my butler has not found the time to give them a good polishing today", thats a pity I thought but just smiled and nodded, when the contractor had finished the measure up I asked for the main gate to be opened to allow me to drive out and then walked round to the Spider, the Lord of the Manor had not seen me park up and therefore didn't realise I had come in the Alfa, as I pulled around to the front of the house he came skipping over to the passenger side window and not recognising me smiled waved like I was along lost friend, as I lowered the window the smile dropped from his face and you could see the green eyed monster welling up, I said the first thing that came to mind "I ONLY HAD TO WORK FOR 6 MONTHS TO GET THIS!!!"

·
Registered
112 Posts
I must say ,in my personal experiences, the landed gentry have never been stuck up as they have no need to impress.Its the ones who think they are when their not that are the snooty ones, the Harry Enfield "My house is considerably bigger than yours" type.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
My boss was a financial wizard. A multi-multi millionaire.
Bought the company I work for as a tax write off.

Has at least 30 cars all put into storage less than a week after buying them. Some real tasty classics.

So down to earth, a lovely kind bloke and as scruffy as a mongrel.:D

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah, but looking forward to Newby NAD as I haven't worked there yet.:cool:

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Busted!! :lol: :cheese:

·
Registered
833 Posts
I must say ,in my personal experiences, the landed gentry have never been stuck up as they have no need to impress.Its the ones who think they are when their not that are the snooty ones, the Harry Enfield "My house is considerably bigger than yours" type.
Fully agree. Just hope for your sake your "wedged up" gent isn't an AO subscriber. Never bite the hand that feeds you - its a small world!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts