Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been coming on for long now. This is what happens when people get too busy for their own good- They take 2 weeks to buy a car because of focussing on too many things and not completing any of it within reasonable time frames. But anyway...

...so yesterday MP wasn't the only one that collected a new Fiat. My mom did as well! Brand new Fiat 500 Lounge 1.2 Dual-Logic (massive name for such a tiny car!) :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/20140813_143938.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/20140825_165107_HDR_1.jpg

The pics speak for themselves but my mom is happy, the car is very nice, everything that one might need in a car of this size and doesn't feel like a baby car inside. Despite the size, it feels like a luxury car sprung a little firmer than most but still compliant and drives very nicely. It took my mom (who is 74) all of 15mins to learn the gearbox and now she's out driving on her own all day, enjoying her new car and between yesterday and today she probably has over 50km on it which is a lot in her language. Hopefully this car will see long service with my mother behind the wheel. A nice thing about the Dual Logic is that the car will tell you what to do when you confuse yourself and don't know how to go from reverse to first, or first to neutral. It beeps then gives you instructions on the MFD. Also, I really like the economy mode. It really works, with a 4L/100km difference over a 5km test route through residential areas near home. In normal mode it managed 12L/100km on the stop-start route with many speed bumps and maximum 3rd gear. In E mode it easily managed 8L/100km on the same route. The consumption will improve if the route was mixed and over a longer distance and the engine has a few more km under the belt.

I have to mention once again the service received from Imperial Fiat in Kuils River (Previously Schus R300) was special. They all know my mom very well as "Tannie Robinson" and you know they took really good care of her Panda when the service manager himself takes the traded-in car home for his wife.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/20140826_134910_HDR.jpg

This little Panda served us well. It proved serious offroad capabilities provided you didn't get the rear axle stranded on top of a mole hill as I did on one occasion. It was great fun especially in sand where it handled like a rear wheel drive and you could kick the tail out and go sideways in a 42kW vehicle :eek: It could crawl up gradients where Land Rovers with their fancy toggles and switches and low range and computers struggled to go. It remember a particular 48 degree incline in the worst muddy conditions with the little Panda climbing through ruts and mud and wet gravel and reaching the top and the owners of the Land Cruiser bakkie, Jeep Wrangle Rubicon and two Range Rovers were completely stunned out of their minds to see the Panda join their elite club. But yes, sadly, time to go since it is not an automatic...

The familiarity between the 500 and the Panda inside had my mom feeling comfy in a jiffy. This is a bonus. And she was so excited, she spent last night reading through the owners manuals! And taught me a thing or two this morning! :cheese: :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Your mom is going to love this car more and more every day. My wife went from a Merc ML to a little 1.2 convertable and threatens to divorce me if I sell it.

Regarding fuel economy, she gets about 6.5 for 100% town driving, but thats after doubling the drag co with fitting eye lashes.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
:) girlfriend have the 1.2 too, fuel consumption sitting at 6,5!

·
Registered
454 Posts
VERY NICE!!!

hey, do you live nearby?

I spotted a few 159's around here

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Congrats to mom! I love the iconic 500! Wouldn't mind one as a run-about.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
This little Panda served us well. It proved serious offroad capabilities provided you didn't get the rear axle stranded on top of a mole hill as I did on one occasion. It was great fun especially in sand where it handled like a rear wheel drive and you could kick the tail out and go sideways in a 42kW vehicle :eek: It could crawl up gradients where Land Rovers with their fancy toggles and switches and low range and computers struggled to go. It remember a particular 48 degree incline in the worst muddy conditions with the little Panda climbing through ruts and mud and wet gravel and reaching the top and the owners of the Land Cruiser bakkie, Jeep Wrangle Rubicon and two Range Rovers were completely stunned out of their minds to see the Panda join their elite club.
I wish they had taken the Panda underpinnings and 4WD system, and stuck the Strada body on it - I reckon there are plenty guys who would have liked a little half ton bakkie with some added off road ability...

·
Registered
454 Posts
ja it you i spotted

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish they had taken the Panda underpinnings and 4WD system, and stuck the Strada body on it - I reckon there are plenty guys who would have liked a little half ton bakkie with some added off road ability...
I always had the idea of fitting the 4x4 system to a Panda 100HP with a T-Jet engine and tuning the nuts off it... 170kW, 300Nm... Imagine the fun! :wow: :cheese: :inlove:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm surprised. Usually all people see is a silver flash and red tail lights... :cheese:
i have a white MQV, wanted to give you a go one day but decided to be a good boy and cruuuuuz, LOL

·
Registered
454 Posts
stock 3.2 vs MQV sport.... :D

half a second difference to 100... ;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
i can be quiiite long :D

shouldnt have sold my racechip :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts