Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden I have this message on my ICS telling me I have a "Momentary aircon fault" :eek: but forget the momentarty bit...It doesn't work at all. I go to CLIMA and its all gone dead. I will press any of the ECON, temperture etc. and nothing. Has anybody had this issue and resolved it?

·
Registered
Giulia Super Sprint, GTV V6
638 Posts
I have a similar problem. It displays "Air condition system failure. Please contact workshop".
I just press the CLIMA button and everything works ok. :confused:

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have the same problem. The climate control does work sometimes. If it's the air con main control unit then alfa quoted me £1080 + VAT for a new one - Have a word! Am just going to try and source one from a scrappy. I have to drive around witht he windows down to stop the windscreen misting up when it decides not to work at the minute. A cold way to start the day at present!

·
Registered
Giulia Super Sprint, GTV V6
638 Posts
Do you know if the LHD and RHD versions of the ICS are different?
I'm planning to get a silver one (mine's wood) and would be selling mine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:confused: Well, got up this morning and the "momentary" message has gone and the complete CLIMA system is all working . It obviously was momentary. I wonder what caused it. I had the car idling outside for about 15 mins as I tried to jump start friends dead Clio.
I wonder if it will happen again though. Obviously nothing has blown or else it wouldn't come back on again...would it???
How could it be my aircon main unit. I haven't used mine since I have had my Alfa Autumn/Winter. Did anyone get the "momentary" message?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mine started off by showing the "fault screen" once a month and now it's very common. Seems to be bad on cold days. When it's milder the system kicks in.

I initially thought it was the fan motor seazing in the cold. But the dealer says it's the main unit and that it's over heating. Don't understand why it over heats in the cold and not hot. Perhaps it's trying to compensate somewhere with heat and it shuts down. Who knows? I just hope the spring comes early and then having the windows down wont be such a problem. Cant afford to spend more on the motor at the minute especially when it doesn't actually stop me physically driving. Sorting the suspension bushes has to take priority!!!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
could be low perssure in the a/c system causing a fault? Might be worth popping a pressure gauge on the filler and see if it's still in the "green" zone.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I had this once last summer.

Just switched aircon off for a couple of mins and then back on.

It never did it again.

Sound like you're less luccky than I was.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Black with red leather,quad exhausts looks pretty menacing!
Afraid cant' help with the aircon,had 4 166s' and not had this problem.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
The usual fault I got was "Aircon Faulty.Please contact workshop"
At your age of car the fan is likely to go if not already gone.

My fan eventualy caught fire not badly but lots of smoke..
Fan doesnt work but the controls on the ICS works as does the flaps.Mine works fine except for the fan,
What I do is in the winter selct Full heat and direct to the vents.Put a window down slightly and the hot air comes thro the cabin.I do the reverse in summer.Mine works except for the fan.Still to source one but not top priority.

Like your inbuilt phone.Thats not ftted to mine.

Are your exhausts standard?

P:lol: me:lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the help and comments about the car! The quad pipes are factory on this one. Word says it was a show car for Zender in its youth.

If any one has some more about my problem, please help.

Cheers //Seb

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been meaning to post an update on the "momentary air con fault" for a while. The system is siemens and so momentary is better translated as "current". This message is telling you that there is a wiring fault somewhere in your heating and ventilation system.

I had a burnt out connection going down to the main fan unit which meant that I had nothing no air con or even manual heating controls (for six months!). It took JCS in Kegworth a couple of days to track the fault down and repair it. Once they did it worked fine but all this cost £350. What you need is an auto-electrician to go over your wiring with a fine toothcomb.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
211 Posts
All of a sudden I have this message on my ICS telling me I have a "Momentary aircon fault" :eek: but forget the momentarty bit...It doesn't work at all. I go to CLIMA and its all gone dead. I will press any of the ECON, temperture etc. and nothing. Has anybody had this issue and resolved it?
I get the same fault every couple of weeks or so. Like with your car, the entire climate control system goes dead. I usually end up driving the car for a bit with the fault, then stop and restart the engine. More often than not, the climate control system starts working again. This has never happened from a cold start though. Sounds like a job for an auto electrician like someone mentioned before, but since the problem resolves itself, I am in no hurry yet to spend the necessary cash on finding a permanent fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the input fnkmcr! Mine does not ever work, even if I restart the engine. :(

Anyone els have anything on this? I´ll take anything I can get at this moment.

Cheers //Seb

·
Registered
46 Posts
For info in trying to resolve the problem I replaced both the ICS and the Air-con ECU and did an ECU re-set none of which had any effect :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
most of the time it is a bad main fan , or going bad. i think the ecu measures the resistance of the fan motor or something like that , and stops it even if it is still working . i ve seen air conditioning ecu go bad as well. Best thing to do is eleminate possibilities, find a good aircon ecu, swap them , then try. Replacing the main fan is a bit of a pita

1 - 20 of 29 Posts