Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have just been for a spin in my friends cooperS and omg that little thing was fast as hell and was sooooo tight round corners, even more so than my alfa, power(torque) was exactly the same as the alfa though. What mods can I do to my 147 to get it upto cooperS performance, without fitting forced induction mods (turbos and SCs), its just that that car was so fast i bliped throttle and was at 100 in no time, dont get me wrong my 2L 147 is no slouch but it does not more anywhere near as fast of the cooperS, also the ride round corners on british roads in the std 147 is appauling, the car jumps as it goes over our very sh*t road. I am lookking to spend around 2k all in I figure I can get cams does, but I dont know what else, cos after the cooperS experience I am now craving that thrill from my alfa. But bear in mind I dont want straight line madness hence no turbos and SC (not to mention insurance implications of a 2L turboed car with a 20 yr olds insurance) I want something that holds like the cooperS and can keep up with the cooperS I could barely keep my friends gap between me and him at 20 metres, we didnt do over a ton as dont want to lose licence.

One thing my alfa excels over his cooperS is the interior he has the leather option but it has nothing on my momo and the rear is quite frankly inadmisable there is no rear perhaps a bread stick can sit on the back seat but I CANT! plus 147 has dedicated rear AC, the mini doesnt althogh air does get around quite well.

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
Basically you want the performance of an engine with a supercharger, like the Cooper S has, without having to fit a supercharger :rolleyes:

The Cooper S has more power and weighs less then a 147 2.0 TS, so you have a lot of catching up to do. The mini has a power to weight ratio of 6.99 kg / 1 bhp and the 147 has 8.17 kg / 1 bhp. You need an extra 25 bhp to achieve the same ratio. A performance kit from Autodelta (camshafts plus remap) gives 22 bhp.

See our on line shop for more details.

G

·
What about spending £700-800 on Eibach springs, dampers and uprated anti-roll bars? That should sort the handling out :)

Might want to consider £200 on Powerflex bushes too...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi qui,

A few months ago i raced a Mini Cooper S on the highway in Italy and with my mods (shown in the signature) i was faster than him.

Maybe a Cooper S is still faster than me from 0-100km/h, but above that speed i was quicker :cool:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well, my 147 1.6 is faster than a Cooper S, but it has an Autodelta supercharger ;) :cool: ...
As Selespeed already said it's difficult to have the supercharger effect without a supercharger... But I see you have the 2L 147 so with the Autodelta camshafts, Re-mapped ECU and maybe a better exhaust you'll get somewhere round 175 Hp and better torque. The Mini will still be lighter than you, but at least with these mods you'll have a chance ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Everybody has turbos and superchargers except Alfa Romeos :rant: Sports cars my arse. Here even Hyundai has a turbo version at the Coupe :rant: When the italians are gonna wake up ! Beauty is not enough !!!

·
Administrator
47,023 Posts
I think it's a bit one-dimensional to say 'to be a sportscar it must have a super or turbo charger'
And Alfa never claimed to be sports cars.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
bazza said:
I think it's a bit one-dimensional to say 'to be a sportscar it must have a super or turbo charger'
And Alfa never claimed to be sports cars.
156 is not supposed to be a sprorts sedan? 147 is not supposed to be a sprorts hatchback ? Then which brand is, Audi? Now that i mention it, the VAG group has sold thousands of cars with the turboed engine, that should say something to the narrow minded smart arses who decide to put a 3.2 lt engine in their cars, spending much money on making a car with real heavy engine in front to have neutral handling on the road, and loosing buyers at many countries that have huge taxes and insurances on engines with many liters. And a 1.8TS at the 147 would have sold a lot of cars too.

·
Registered
567 Posts
qui said:
What mods can I do to my 147 to get it upto cooperS performance, without fitting forced induction mods (turbos and SCs), its just that that car was so fast i bliped throttle and was at 100 in no time,
It's simple: GTA.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Yesterday I followed a smart looking new Cooper (light blue metallic with all the trimmings) and all of a sudden I drove into a dense blue haze from the exhaust of the Cooper .... engine completely blew up !!!
I reckon that the Turbo blew a gasket... it shows that Turbo aspirated engines are a liability when pushed hard ! I know, because I drove a Fiat Croma Turbo i.e. for years, never had a problem (except the fuel bills !) but the guy who bought my car when I went for the Alfa 155, blew the turbo after a month ! repair costs 3000 UK pounds !!!
So if you want a Turbo, go for it... and weep :confused:

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Was chatting to a customer of mine who runs a Cooper S as a company car.He had his Supercharger blow up,then the Heater matrix,then ecu problems.Fortunately,he says that aftersales and service in rectifying these faults have been superb.
But it has made him think twice buying another one.
Having been for a ride in another mate`s Cooper I think you will be going some to match the handling.It really is like a go kart.

·
Registered
466 Posts
jomor said:
Everybody has turbos and superchargers except Alfa Romeos :rant: Sports cars my arse. Here even Hyundai has a turbo version at the Coupe :rant: When the italians are gonna wake up ! Beauty is not enough !!!
Yanni you're right, I agree 100%...
If Alfa Romeo want's to keep up with the others, has to do something.
Either upgrade the good -too- old Twin spark with a more powerful engine, or put a turbocharger - supercharger on their cars.
The way things (and prices) are, they can't keep up with the competition.
A Seat Leon 1.8 turbo with 180 Hp & 235Nm @2000 ( :eek: ) is cheaper than the 2L 147! The Leon Cupra R with 225 Hp & 280Nm @2200 is only 33000 here in Greece and (I think) even cheaper in the UK! Their fuel consumption is slightly above the 147 1.6!

Don't get me wrong, I know that the 147 1.6 is not supposed to be a performance car, but other companies offer the complete package (Quality, Sporty image, great performance, decent price) at the price of the uncomplete (Quality, Sporty image, average performance, high price) Alfa one. Either that, or buy a 44000 (priced in Greece) GTA which few can afford not to mention the huge running-insurance costs of the 3.2 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
qui said:
also the ride round corners on british roads in the std 147 is appauling, the car jumps as it goes over our very sh*t road.
Get used to how it handles, and you'll find it's a very competent car - the reason it jumps is because of the firm suspension. Learn how it handles and you'll get to know that you can push it harder.

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Alfa's don't have turbos? So what's my intercooler connected to? :confused:

·
Administrator
47,023 Posts
If speed really is the only thing that matters to you then get yourself a MAXI or whatever, personally I'm more bothered about how it FEELS to drive, that it's got style and grace.
There's a difference between a sporty car and a performance car.
And I wouldn't use Hyundai as a benchmark either way, with their 2.7 V6 which develops a heady 165bhp. How pathetic is that?

·
Registered
734 Posts
wot bazza said plus......

And as for no turbos...

Er.. the GTV and the Spider were both available 1.6 Turbo engines.
Also available was a 2ltr twin turbo engine.

There's more to an alfa than speed.
Besides who needs special editions? you get a good car, well set up that can out drive any standard offering from the others, straight off the shelf.

If Seat, VAG etc could do that they wouldn't need to sell "hot versions".

Just my HO.

JaB

·
Registered
734 Posts
bazza said:
with their 2.7 V6 which develops a heady 165bhp. How pathetic is that?

But Hang on.....

Don't Alfa get that out of their 2.0Ltr JTS....

Ah yes Hyundai the guy's to beat alright ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
What we need IMO is a proper Alfa Sprint, e.g. the same power (OK, mabe a little more power), but alot less weight - I wouldn't take too much effort to lose 50KG of weight - lightweight wheels, battery, front seats, aluminium or GRP bonnet & boot. You then end up with a car that is pretty quick, OK on fuel and handles well

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Some thoughts about speed ! I love speed... even at my ripe age, but just yesterday after pushing that poor Mini Cooper to an early death , I just thought how stupid I was, I was doing 200+ ( in Holland that is a worse crime than raping children !) and could have lost both my license and car... boy I will never do that again !!
a good sailplane can do 300 + without an engine and there still are no
radar equipped policemen in the sky , so better do that than on the road !

1 - 20 of 52 Posts