Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i'd start a thread on this topic as I can't seem to find an old one.
I am restoring a series 1 Ti as you know.
The car still has its original 1200cc Engine & box in it
I also have a 1500 engine from a sprint & an 8v 1700cc unit from a 33 and numerous gearboxes.
I have for some time been thinking about what to do, which engine to fit. whatever happens I will keep the original engine & box as its original to the car from new & the numbers match old paperwork & MOT's etc.
I have also been offered a 16v 1700cc unit this week, i'm unsure if I can to go down that route as I was led to believe that it wasn't possible with inboard brakes. But having looked at the 1200 motor today which is still in the car I notice that the rear of the heads are well forward of the discs... So is it just an access problem or is it a physical impossibility to fit a 16v motor to an early car with inboard brakes? Also the front crossmember does this need changing, looks like it does. All info and advice welcome

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
car

i know you have to change the front crossmember for a 16v one as they dip down at either end also not sure about the issues with the inboard brakes but my brother has a 16v in his sud and just changed all the running gear to 33 stuff .
maybe ask that ahm company he would be able to tell you .

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know you have to change the front crossmember for a 16v one as they dip down at either end also not sure about the issues with the inboard brakes but my brother has a 16v in his sud and just changed all the running gear to 33 stuff .
maybe ask that ahm company he would be able to tell you .
Thanks pat :) I wana keep the inboards so don't wana go to 33 running gear, just as its an early car and try to keep it as original as possible

·
Registered
263 Posts
rsfruitbat is running inboard brakes and a 16v motor in his 33.

He has all sud suspension with just the 16v crossmember. I think the only issue is that the standard 16v manifold is not compatible with the inboard brakes, so you'll need a custom made one which will clear them.

Another job for shrew maybe? :rolleyes:

Changing the spark plugs might be a bit of a pig though..

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rsfruitbat is running inboard brakes and a 16v motor in his 33.

He has all sud suspension with just the 16v crossmember. I think the only issue is that the standard 16v manifold is not compatible with the inboard brakes, so you'll need a custom made one which will clear them.

Another job for shrew maybe? :rolleyes:

Changing the spark plugs might be a bit of a pig though..
mmm..... sounds like it might be possible.....

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there isn't too much to change if you want to run a sud box (inboards) on a 16V, did look at that when researching mine.

x-member as has been said to clear the deeper heads, exhaust also needs changing as it runs where the discs go.

you will also need to machine a notch into the gearbox bellhousing to clear the crank position sensor so i was told by bls which looking at my 16V engine in the shed appears to be correct (not that i ever doubt what they tell me ;)) but other than that it's pretty easy.

can't remember if there was any issue with the clutch spigot shaft bush?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds not too bad kev, so presumably it could be run on carbs from my 8v motor? (don't want to run any high tech injection / ecu stuff!! as I would want to keep the original wiring loom and keep the rest of the car as original as possible might upgrade the wheels from 5j to 5.5j wide ones though!! :cheese:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds not too bad kev, so presumably it could be run on carbs from my 8v motor? (don't want to run any high tech injection / ecu stuff!! as I would want to keep the original wiring loom and keep the rest of the car as original as possible might upgrade the wheels from 5j to 5.5j wide ones though!! :cheese:
running on carbs is the easiest solution. kammatic has done that with his.

steady on the wide wheels though! :lol:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
running on carbs is the easiest solution. kammatic has done that with his.

steady on the wide wheels though! :lol:
Everyone knows 175 firestones were the best tyre ever!! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts