Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When thinking about buying a 147 GTA I tend to look at them in 2 categories. The ones that are in great condition, appear to have been loved and have decent mileage, then those that are a bit higher mileage, need a bit of work, but would make for a cracking weekend car without worry of keeping it pristine.

But at what point does a 147 GTA lose desirability as a Modern Classic? Is it mileage related, if so then at what mileage, 50k, 80k, 100k, 120k?

I know condition can be a major factor, but mechanical and cosmetics can be addressed. Or are there any mechanical issues that would deem it beyond desirable, eg excessive rust?

What are people’s thoughts?

Cheers Jules

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
A modern classic is a car that is locked away for most of the time and occasionally brought out into the world?

I would think if a car is a modern classic, then it is no matter if it is in very good condition living in a garage for most of the time, or if it is in poorer condition (but still tidy) and used a couple of times a week. There are the usable modern classics, and the keep it safe for the future modern classics I think.

If I wanted to have one, I would want to use it. So I would tend to go for the cheaper, higher mileage ones in slightly poorer condition. Rather than driving a garage queen and almost ruining all the hard work that previous owners have done to keep the mileage low and condition good. In saying that I would only do 2,000 miles a year at the most.

If a car gets fully restored is mileage then irrelevant?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A modern classic is a car that is locked away for most of the time and occasionally brought out into the world?

I would think if a car is a modern classic, then it is no matter if it is in very good condition living in a garage for most of the time, or if it is in poorer condition (but still tidy) and used a couple of times a week. There are the usable modern classics, and the keep it safe for the future modern classics I think.

If I wanted to have one, I would want to use it. So I would tend to go for the cheaper, higher mileage ones in slightly poorer condition. Rather than driving a garage queen and almost ruining all the hard work that previous owners have done to keep the mileage low and condition good. In saying that I would only do 2,000 miles a year at the most.

If a car gets fully restored is mileage then irrelevant?
I don’t disagree, you have some valid points and good questions. I already have one garage queen that I have had fully restored, but do drive it on occasion. I’d really like to add an 147 GTA but not sure whether to buy at the lower end and restore, or buy higher end and maintain. I think mileage is important for future value, but as certain cars get rarer then even a 100k miler well restored could be desirable, would that be the case with a 147 GTA?

·
Registered
389 Posts
If your are planning to keep your modern classic as some sort of future investment / toy for shows etc doing about 4 miles a year, then i can see the higher milage ones being snubbed. It wont be a hard mileage cutoff, it'll just be a rolling one for peoples budgets.

but in the real world, condition and history are everything. Who cares if its got 150k on it if its been fully rebuilt and repainted etc etc etc

I'd be tempted to buy the cheapest one you can, with the intention of doing everything. Then you'll know what you have.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'd be tempted to buy the cheapest one you can, with the intention of doing everything. Then you'll know what you have.
The cheapest one with a floor IMHO :cool:

Reactions: Cyclone1

·
Registered
4 Posts
The cheapest one with a floor IMHO :cool:
This is a concern. Many are starting to go underneath and whilst on the outside they may look great and have all the right upgrades, they could be a restoration mega financial drain / challenge underneath.

It’s had me considering imports. As whilst they have the semi auto box, structurally they will be short term much better. Plus they tend to be lower miles albeit cosmetically many are a bit on the rough side.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm not sure, building a GTA from a sound basis is the right way to go, it will be so expensive. Better to buy with the correct provenance and get the very very best you can with what you have available. Spending £25k on a low miles GTA that can show it's life from the day it entered this world sound like lots of money.... but to buy and rebuild won't take much to go beyond that, unless you can do it all yourself. And by doing it yourself I mean have the skills and ability to literally do it yourself. It also might take a very long time to do as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn’t do it all myself if this was route taken, for that money it can be done properly. I’ve recently had a Fiat Coupé restored but that was from a decent starting point, but still costs a bit.

Still on the fence with what GTA to buy, UK, import, but either way it’ll need to be decent to start with. Not many about at the moment though so we’ll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts