Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been trying to ignore this in for a while now but its something that I just have to get off my chest!

Ive been forced to get myself a new car as my boss felt it was inappropriate for me to be turning up to site meetings in a car that can be heard for miles and that pops and bangs on the over-run.
So I got myself a car that was only a couple of years old and looks a bit more professional only to find that its very hard to live with by comparison.

Everything beeps:rant:

It beeps when its low on fuel, when the windscreen washer is low, when it needs a service, when the radio is left on after turning off the engine, when the boot is opened, when the doors are opened, when the seat belts arent on but there is someone in the seat PLUS, i cant turn the traction control off fully so if i want to go looning about I cant.

Is it just me or have cars become too clever for their own good? I have eyes, I can look at the gauge to see when the fuel is low. Do I really need a beep aswell?

Its gotten to the point where I find myself waiting for the weekend so that I can swop back to the 33 and start enjoying driving again.

Is it really so bad to have to wind down a window by hand?

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
So what car did you have to get that beeps and buzzes at you fluffy?? :( :confused:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Fuffyduff said:
Ive been forced to get myself a new car as my boss felt it was inappropriate for me to be turning up to site meetings in a car that can be heard for miles and that pops and bangs on the over-run.
I hope your boss is paying for this new car!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
What's wrong with turning up in the 33? Shows a lot more class ;) :D

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alfaholic said:
What's wrong with turning up in the 33? Shows a lot more class ;) :D
Id like to think so too! (I think it shows a bit of originality aswell)

Instead I arrive,silently, in a 3 series that could belong to anyone.

Unfortunatly Ive only got the one parking space too so have to keep it during the week and leave the 33 under wraps.

"Living for the Weekend!!" :rolleyes:

E

·
0 Posts
Nev said:
You can turn the beeps down/off on modern Alfas!

;)

(Even the seatbelt beeper! :) )

Yeah thank God for that, my Dads Mitsubishi you had no control. It was bleeping annoying to say the least!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Can't you unplug the beeper?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The devils hide their beeper(s) somewhere it takes you hours to get at, usually. I've driven some medium Hondas that seem to be one of the worst culprits for beepers. They have a different chime for every crime, so if you're too bad the car will start ringing like a music box. It's a form of torture, along with cars that won't give you the keys until you've completed a series of tasks, each more fiendish than the last.
One of the guys at my work used to sit in his car at lunchtimes, smoking, with the radio on and the door open for ventilation. Then he upgraded to a newer Japanese car, which meant that the whole lunchtime he had to endure "bong, bong, bong, bong.." from the car reminding him not to lock the keys in...

Alfa could never have implemented such a system on the 33. The car doesn't know whether the keys are in the ignition - keys can fall out any time (and they do!), car keeps going. It doesn't really know whether the doors are open, because the courtesy light switches are rubbish. It doesn't know whether the boot is open, so they had to wire the boot light to run constantly whenever the headlights are switched on.
I ran my car for a few days with no instruments at all, just a hole in the dash, because my speedo needed repair. The engine doesn't know the difference. I'm free to drive with the handbrake on, leave the headlights going, accidentally shift into reverse, do whatever I want with the keys at any time etc and the car will never beep at me. It's my responsibility not to screw up and that's the way I like it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It beeps when its low on fuel, when the windscreen washer is low, when it needs a service, when the radio is left on after turning off the engine, when the boot is opened, when the doors are opened, when the seat belts arent on but there is someone in the seat PLUS, i cant turn the traction control off fully so if i want to go looning about I cant.
I think Alfas are very restrained with their beeping, I dont think my GT even beeps for when I haven't got my seatbelt on! It def doesnt beep when my washer fluid is low, something I learnt as I hit the M3 in all that snow! :eek:

Glad for the low petrol warning tho....its hard to keep track of that fuel guage all the time :lol:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
theres only 2 beeps on my 166, one to tell me ive just put it in reverse, i know i put it in reverse i dont need the car to confirm it to me:D , and the one when i exceed the preset speed limit:cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Heh heh...I can sympathize with you saying there to clever. I have a new Passat as my company car, it has an electronic parking brake which automatically releases as you pull away. I found out today that if one of the doors isn't quite shut properly it won't let you move off.....this is also true if I'm not belted up:rant: .....bloody technology........On an even more ludacriss tip, the wipers, after being used, come to a rest on a different side of the blade, alternating after each use, so as not to prematurely ware out the blades. Talk about over engineering:lol:

And thats just a few of the crazy gizzmos on the car. To be honest with you though.....I love it:lol:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
crit71 said:
I have a new Passat as my company car, it has an electronic parking brake which automatically releases as you pull away.
Isn't there some glitch with these handbrakes? Ive heard of a spate of runaway passats cos the handbrake didn't engage properly and the owners didn't leave them in gear:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts