Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work wensday morning, travelling behind another car as i came over the brow of a hill the car in front slammed brakes on so i braked as well, it became apparant that hed spotted the 10 or so police further down the road with a mobile speed camera.

What im not sure on is whether or not because i was behind another car hes the one been caught and im ok. I wasnt pulled over by any of the waiting police cars or bikes.

Can anyone put my mind at rest, having trouble sleeping!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
It sounds more likely that they had an ANPR setup and were checking for untaxed/uninsured cars ... which is why they had sure a large support (so they could get the cars off the road immediately), if it was for speeding then they wouldn't bother with the support and just send you a letter through the post (fingers crossed for you)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Defo ANPR

·
Registered
913 Posts
What does an ANPR unit look like? Saw a white van today parked up on the Worcester ringroad with a huge great camera sticking up out of its roof (about eight feet high above the roof of a transit) - not subtle! Just down the road were two police motorbikes waiting in the wings.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
What does an ANPR unit look like? Saw a white van today parked up on the Worcester ringroad with a huge great camera sticking up out of its roof (about eight feet high above the roof of a transit) - not subtle! Just down the road were two police motorbikes waiting in the wings.
ANPR ... automatic number plate recognition ... doesn't describe the camera but the software in the back end that interprates the images, on road wars they have ANPR fitting to their un-marked police cars ...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Aubrey's description is correct. The bike units are there to hunt down cars with no MOT, tax or insurance shown against them. Fair enough I say. When our plates were blocked due to my work we used to get very suspicious looks from the bike teams!

A

·
0 Posts
Around here the ANPR van is Transit with special rear door windows that open and you can see the equipment. Speed vans/cameras have the windows closed and operate alone. Agree with SR, ANPR.

·
Registered
38,250 Posts
I drove past one of the speed detction vans the other day on a dual carriageway. I drove past it at the 50mph limit, but I was doing a lot more than that when I first spotted it, as I had just burned off a Merc.

This was 5 weeks ago and I haven't had a letter yet. I was very worried for the 14 days after the "offence" mind. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Yep this will be an ANPR camera, I see then all the time at Catthorpe Interchange at A14/M1/M6 will loades of rozzas parked up. I went tanking past them and nothing ever happened so IMO its all good :D

H

·
0 Posts
ANPR can be fitted anywhere I believe. Our local traffic cars (New-ish Subaru Imprezas) are all loaded up with the gear.

IMO it's a good thing, can't stand tax/insurance evaders

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
ANPR can be fitted anywhere I believe.

IMO it's a good thing, can't stand tax/insurance evaders
True and yes definatly a good thing. Long as there are signs telling you what there are so you dont have to crap your pants for two weeks waiting for a speeding ticket:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
When I thought I'd been flashed by a mobile speed camera (it could have been lightning, because there were thunderstorms that day) I turned round and went through the trap again, at the same speed, to see if it flashed again or not.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not sure if I got caught on a dual carriageway last week in the company pool car.
Went past a mobile, it was a tripod and the officer was stood up not looking through it (not sure if he needs to be looking through it once set up), when I looked at the speedo I was doing 53 in a 40.
I went past again 10 miinutes later and he was gone.

Have to wait and see.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
It's fun sometimes to dress up in a white shirt, dayglo vest and dark troos.. stand at the side of the road with a hairdryer and nearly cause a heap of accidents as speeding motorists jam their brakes on! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Not sure if I got caught on a dual carriageway last week in the company pool car.
Went past a mobile, it was a tripod and the officer was stood up not looking through it (not sure if he needs to be looking through it once set up), when I looked at the speedo I was doing 53 in a 40.
I went past again 10 miinutes later and he was gone.

Have to wait and see.
I think you are ok, I have had this before. He was probally thinking about what he was having for tea and how proud his family and freiend were of him:mad:

It's fun sometimes to dress up in a white shirt, dayglo vest and dark troos.. stand at the side of the road with a hairdryer and nearly cause a heap of accidents as speeding motorists jam their brakes on! :D

Ralf S.
:tut:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

Ralf S.
You may laugh ... but did you know those LED style speed limit signs (the ones that switch on when they detect a car approaching) cost 33k!!!! it would be far more cost effective to pay some oik to stand beside the road dressed up in that paraphernalia!!!

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

Ralf S.
Actually, I sort of did that back when I worked with the Roads Service over here :lol:

We had to wear the dayglo jackets when working near the road. One of the guys had a dark Omega estate and when we were parked up at the side of the road we had a good laugh watching everyone frantically braking and looking to see if it actually was the cops.:lol: :eek:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
You may laugh ... but did you know those LED style speed limit signs (the ones that switch on when they detect a car approaching) cost 33k!!!! it would be far more cost effective to pay some oik to stand beside the road dressed up in that paraphernalia!!!
I know, thats ridiculous! I never take notice of them anyway (because I never speed:rolleyes: :lol: ) but there are some of them that are on constantly as soon you go past even if you are under the limit (only due to traffic;) They are totally pointless and just another waste of our money by jobsworths who also never speed:mad:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Have loads of these solar/wind powered signs on the island but only 7 permanent speed cameras and 1 maninavanwithacam :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts