Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm planning on a Brodit Proclip for my Brera when I get around to the interior. They can be fitted either above or to the side of the centre console.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The brodit mounts are fantastic!! I have 2 in the 159 one for the TomTom and the other for the phone/ tablet - both hardwired. I'll take a few pics later :)

Regards BT

·
Registered
97 Posts
So as you can see the TomTom is on the top mount, its got live traffic and speed cameras so makes driving much nicer especially as you don't have anything stuck on your windows. This would be a great location if you Phone, Phablet Or tablet doubles up as your navigation etc.

24318684889_55d64acd33_z (1).jpg

The Lower one is what I use for my phone along with a Scosche-Magnetic-Flush-Mount This holds my tablet or phone no problems :) I am not happy how I have the power supply for the lower phone mount hooked up at the moment thinking of having it come out just below the air con controls, where the dash meets the gear surround.
24686359165_1c1ce71d9d_z.jpg
24318696039_68152612ed_z.jpg

The above mounts can get a little pricey as each Brodit mount is about 15- 20 GBP plus the adapter for what ever mount you want ie tom-tom or magnetic. So really your looking at 30 - 40 GBP in total for a solution. Its probably the best solution and if you spend long abouts of time in your car its well worth it! I drive 3 hours a day minimum and it makes the drives so much nicer!

Alternatively you can get one of these : Scosche Magnetic Dash Mount for Smartphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics The downside is you must stick it to the car... and really in the 159 you can only stick it to the metal as the soft plastic is a bit too spongy and will leave a mark over time. My dad got one for his 166 and he is happy with it.

For the hardwire I would fuse tap the fusebox this means that your new power feed is fused and removable without cutting anything, now you can power what you want with a switched ignition.
23786938289_9a1be001ef_z (1).jpg

I chose a 40W USB hub, you can power as many USB devices as you want and it registers an an AC wall charger so no slow charges with power hungry devices, I have charged my phone, tomtom, tablet and dash camera and still have a spare slot or 2.
24132604771_320050d064_z (2).jpg

Any question just ask :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Never hard wired one but I did have the tidiest mount ever, from Halfords it was a small metal disk that stuck on the back of my phone and a small magnet stuck on the console next to the radio.
When I changed to the latest iPhone I didnt want the disk on the back so bought one of those CD slot mounts often advertised on Facebook, they are really good, can hold two phones or a phone and a sat nav if you wanted, when not in use just pop in glove box, so easy so simple

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
+1 for the magnet.

"Tetrax Fixway"

Italian design. Have used it in the last 3 cars.

When I tried to install a Brodit in the Brera it damaged the edge of the soft aluminium console piece.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have one of those tiny Tetrax magnets on the centre console and the iPhone case with the magnet built into the back. Never shaken the phone off and it's barely noticeable on the console.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
So as you can see the TomTom is on the top mount, its got live traffic and speed cameras so makes driving much nicer especially as you don't have anything stuck on your windows. This would be a great location if you Phone, Phablet Or tablet doubles up as your navigation etc.

View attachment 603729

The Lower one is what I use for my phone along with a Scosche-Magnetic-Flush-Mount This holds my tablet or phone no problems :) I am not happy how I have the power supply for the lower phone mount hooked up at the moment thinking of having it come out just below the air con controls, where the dash meets the gear surround.
View attachment 603721
View attachment 603737

The above mounts can get a little pricey as each Brodit mount is about 15- 20 GBP plus the adapter for what ever mount you want ie tom-tom or magnetic. So really your looking at 30 - 40 GBP in total for a solution. Its probably the best solution and if you spend long abouts of time in your car its well worth it! I drive 3 hours a day minimum and it makes the drives so much nicer!

Alternatively you can get one of these : Scosche Magnetic Dash Mount for Smartphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics The downside is you must stick it to the car... and really in the 159 you can only stick it to the metal as the soft plastic is a bit too spongy and will leave a mark over time. My dad got one for his 166 and he is happy with it.

For the hardwire I would fuse tap the fusebox this means that your new power feed is fused and removable without cutting anything, now you can power what you want with a switched ignition.
View attachment 603841

I chose a 40W USB hub, you can power as many USB devices as you want and it registers an an AC wall charger so no slow charges with power hungry devices, I have charged my phone, tomtom, tablet and dash camera and still have a spare slot or 2.
View attachment 603849

Any question just ask :)

Hi, How is the piggy back fuse wiring run behind the dash? All the piggy back fuse connectors on ebay have a very short live wire which means I will have to extend this with a pretty long piece of wire upto the glove box where I want to install the usb ports. What do you do with the earth wire on the usb ? I am thinking of installing the item below but not sure if it will be suitable or how the wires are connected.

Any help will be most appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-USB-Dual-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Power-Adapter-60cm-Cable-Fuse/252250761855?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=d07e9b7c10e6450382054f578cd94c2a&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=281891955352#ht_611wt_1161

Cheers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, How is the piggy back fuse wiring run behind the dash? All the piggy back fuse connectors on ebay have a very short live wire which means I will have to extend this with a pretty long piece of wire upto the glove box where I want to install the usb ports. What do you do with the earth wire on the usb ? I am thinking of installing the item below but not sure if it will be suitable or how the wires are connected.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-USB-Dual-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Power-Adapter-60cm-Cable-Fuse/252250761855?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=d07e9b7c10e6450382054f578cd94c2a&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=281891955352#ht_611wt_1161

Cheers.
Remove the glovebox first (as thats where you are mounting the USB socket) to do that you must also remove the trim along the passenger side transmission tunnel, then unclip the carpet (it has a single plastic press stud holding it to the tunnel. Then you can see through to the other side (driver side) You may have to remove the carpet stud from the drivers side also, it just makes it easier.

Be careful fiddling around near any of the airbags and so not remove those wires. Including the passenger side isolator switch.

I hope this helps. :teacher:

·
Registered
97 Posts

Cheers.
Question 1. The Fuse tap / piggy back connector is about 10 cm long, all you need to-do is add the amount of wire that you need (about 2 Meter) if you have too much you can either leave it or shorten it later. Now just add a bullet connector onto the new cable and it will plug straight into the fuse tap. To run the cable I ran ran it to the left of the fuse box then there is a gap where you can run it behind the radio through to the top of the glove box then you just need to remove the panel in the glove box that covers the pollen filter. Bare in mind you will have to remove the radio, I was installing Bluetooth at the time so it was not an issue. - I am sure there are also other ways todo this but it seemed the most discreet at the time.

I then put a 12V cig lighter plugon behund the glovebox, so that the USB hub can be easily swapped out, (If needed say the hub becomes faulty and I still want my satnav), without cutting it and then secured the plug with tape in 50,000 Miles its not come loose.

To get the hub located in the Glovebox you first need to remove the hard carpet under the glovebox held on by 3 plastic nuts. Then just pass the usb hub cable, in between the glovebox and the draw (its a little fiddly) the up and into the back of the glovebox where you remove the plastic to get to the pollen filter. Then replace the carpet and close off the pollen filter.

Question 2. The earth wire I used the bolt that secures the fusebox and ran it together with the live from the fuse tap.

No need to remove the trim but its another way to do things :)

Hope this helps :)

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Great. Thanks for the detailed reply sir. Much appreciated. Cheers. I am planning to remove the dash trim anyway as am going to wrap it hopefully next weekend, once I decide what wrap using that is !! There are so many choices. 3M Dinoc, 3M Scotch 1080, Others makes brushed finish etc.. Confused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts