Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Series 4 Spider ... oil recommendations? Previous owner says he's been using Mobil 1 but may have just said that to impress me! I've always thought it to be the best but is it right for this engine?

·
Registered
630 Posts
would have thought that far too thin.

I used to run magnatec in mine, or selina 10/40.

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Which until recently was 15W50.
And also a 5W50 in some markets.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You can use any good quality oil but definitely keep the viscosity up - it was designed for 20W/50 so try to keep to that. I did once put thin synthetic in my spider. Oil pressure light would stay on till about 2000RPM! Rapidly switched back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just discovered another likely one ... Morris Oils Golden Film Classic Oil 20W/50 ... this is handy because the guy who looks after my cars stocks Morris Oils!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I agree, M1 might be too thin for our old-fashioned (& possibly high mileage) engines.

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
I agree, M1 might be too thin for our old-fashioned (& possibly high mileage) engines.
You need to be careful making generalisations like that.
"Mobil 1" is available in several different viscosities.
Some will be suitable, but the thinner ones won't be.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I used to get the Mobil Super S from Halfords I think it was 10W40 but I think they chaged it to Mobil Super 2000 X1 10W/40 now

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
only ever used 20/50 mineral oil in all classics we have had/have still in the family - Alfas, Jensen, RR, Corvette, TRs, Lotus Cortina....whatever it has been.
Used lovely green Duckhams oil for decades, but since that has gone out of production I now use Valvoline VR1 20W/50.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I'm using Selenia HPX in my S4.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
my giulia super is put to work in the generally hot climate of Cyprus. never gave much notice tilll now regarding oil,, so can someone please advise me too, on what viscosity oil would be best. tired engine + hot climate = --W/ --???

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thick...

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Good old 20W50 will be fine.

The main thing you want to avoid is the latest high profile stuff, which is aimed at modern engines with post combustion filters/cats/etc as those oils have to loose products that were there to prevent wear in the first place, so modern engines are designed to cope.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Used to run the Mobil 1 15W50 in mine but far too expensive at circa £80 an oil change.

The handbook for my 81 Giulietta (1.8 Nord) states either 10W50 or 15W50 API SE as the ideal grade.

I've just bought two 5 litre bottles of Fuchs Titan Superma 15W-50 API SJ/SL from Opie oils. Only cost £39.99 delivered to the door.

Seems like excellent value to me, and should suit the engine perfectly.

As stated earlier, avoid super thin modern synthetics.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Does someone mind confirming the oil capacity of a Nord? My book says 11 pints / 7 litres or so. My car has been off the road for a year and I've forgotten what I did last oil change. This quantity seems so much!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Does someone mind confirming the oil capacity of a Nord? My book says 11 pints / 7 litres or so. My car has been off the road for a year and I've forgotten what I did last oil change. This quantity seems so much!
My handbook indicates 6.1 litres for oil and filter and 6.55 litres for every drop of oil throughout the engine.
Normal oil and filter change should be round about 6 litres.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It seemingly differs from model to model, my Spider 1750 Veloce 1970 its stated in the handbook at 5.95 qts (Imp) or 6 kg for sump and filter.
However, I have found that an oil change incl. filter requires approx 6,25 liters to reach the max mark on the dipstick.
As can be seen on all the above entries, which oil brand and type to choose is different to each Alfisti. Its in fact a religious matter to most.
I have found that my relatively newly rebuild engine leaks a little oil unless I use 20W-50. I therefore use that and have sticked to mineral oils, mostly Castrol GTX Classic; but as it retails quite expensively I've once had Duckhams (now unavailable in Denmark) and now Millers Classic (half price of Castrol). I haven't noticed any differences in how these oils have performed or change in oil consumption, nearly nil for all.
All tree brands have a high contents of Zinc sulfate which the North engines (and most other of that era) was designed to need. But this is no good in engines with CATs as it will spoil the CAT.

Erik

·
Registered
345 Posts
thanks! I best go buy another bottle then. Im about to use 20w50 based on above advice, of German brand "Liqimoly", not because I know it, but there is almost nothing else available in this spec that I can find on the shelf..... Im sure it will be fine for normal road use....
cheers
andy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts