Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Time is coming round for my Bella's lube change.Is it worth spending the beer vouchers on Mobil 1. Anyone any other recomendations?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which grade of Mobil 1 were you thinking about using if it the 0W40 I think the general consensus is that its a bit thin I tend to go for the Selenia 20k for winter and the 10/60 racing during the summer or the Agip equivalent

G

·
I would recomend Castrol Magnatec 10w/40, as the Mobil 1 is too thin and when using the Magnatec my 155 tends to use less oil than when I've used Selinia 20k oil.
p.s. if you know someone with a Makro wholesalers card borrow it as I got Castrol Magnatec 10w/40 for £11.99 + VAT instead of £21.99 inc. VAT

G

·
I wouldn't use anything thinner than 10w in your V6. As said above it's too thin, especially for the "older" design of the engine. Also depends on your mileage, more miles usually means a slightly thicker oil is better.

wrinx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guy's. My bella only has 52k on her. Thanks for the Makro tip Diablack :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
I used Mobil 1 0-40w from new at the expense of over £10/litre every 1-2k. I'll let my dealer put whatever he likes in it this time. It didn't seem to do me much good (new engine required at 25k) frown

·
Registered
518 Posts
New engine arrived yesterday. Should be getting it back this week laughing Apparently the big end bearings on two of the cylinders were knackered. eek!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I would sincerely recommend anyone not to use any oil Ben has used in his car! wink :D

So Mobil 1 is out of the question! laughing

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nup. They just gave me a Renault Megane as punishment. I think they are putting Castrol Fully Synthetic in it this time. Not sure what grade though. Don't really care. Suppose I will have to run it in and I'm going to Windermere this weekend. naughty

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yeah they are covering it under warranty. I think it was pistons 2&3.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yeah I'm glad too. My car is ready so I am going to pick it up in an hour. :D Nice pics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes it gives it quite a complex look shame I couldn't get the alternator belt in there as well. It gives you idea where all the bits go. Or were you meaning the old alfa gtv box that's at the left of the picture?

Grant

·
Registered
518 Posts
What caused you to have your engine in bits then? Is that a 2.0 TS out of your 145?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes the engine is a 2 litre lump out of my 145, I've actually dropped a new unit in there as the 4th piston big end bearing has gone and there was a knocking on the overun so wanted to get it sorted sharpish.

The old engine is out and stripped just to see the condition and exactly what had gone on it. The engine is actually up for sale now to the highest bidder.

Sadly I had to pay for my work so its made rather a large dent in my bank balance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts