Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping this would be a nice post about how straightforward it was relocating the gearbox after a clutch change. It all lined up nicely using a trolley jack, and then I used some cut down studs from a DIY store with bolts on to carefully guide the box into place by doing up the bolts a few turns at a time and checking the gaps between bellhousing and engine to ensure the box wasn't going in wonky. It all slid in perfectly with the minimum of fiddling or swearing, I did the bellhousing bolts up, and congratulated myself on a job well done.

I then went to mount the release bearing by pushing the release fork forwards, and heard a dull 'clang' with no hints of the bearing lining up with the pressure plate. It was only then I noticed the shiny new bearing lying on the floor underneath the engine.

It's all got to come out again (which is a pain since I was hoping to have the car mostly together today) and I've got to start again pretty much from scratch, all because I didn't check the bearing was in place for the fourth time before sliding the box home.

So make sure you keep on checking where the hell that damned bearing is whilst you're putting the box back in, or you could find yourself making up some new swearwords once you've got it all back together :rant:

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Remember doing this on the 2.5, and nearly making the same mistake. I did two of the (easy) bellhousing bolts up, then engaged the release bearing, bled it, and make damn sure it worked before going any further!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's a mistake you only make once, at the most. I was a lot more careful the second time round, though I think I'm going to leave re-attaching the starter until tomorrow...

Below is the pic I took of my reasonably clever alignment solution, and something not so clever (look on the floor to the left of the gearbox, just under the orange lifting strap - you'll see something I didn't notice)

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sorry to hear your misfortune. What I didn't get is if the release bearing fell out during assembly or if you forgot to put it in in the first place? If the former is the case then a piece of wood or something similar wedged between the clutch arm and slave cylinder bracket during assembly is a good way to keep the arm from moving and the bearing from falling out during the assembly process.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure how it fell out either - I'd made sure it was engaged on the release arms and pushed right back, and checked it several times whilst I was positioning the box. All I can think is I must have knocked the arm whilst I was mahandling the box around to line up the studs, and forcibly ejected it through the small gap between the pressure plate and the input shaft. I tied the release arm in place the 2nd time :)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Sorry, but having done similar things myself, I'm currently sat in the office laughing quietly to myself.

Using the studs to align the gear box is a neat trick though. Definitely going to try that next time.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, but having done similar things myself, I'm currently sat in the office laughing quietly to myself.

Using the studs to align the gear box is a neat trick though. Definitely going to try that next time.
I found it kindof funny in a frustrating, idiotic way too :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
I found it kindof funny in a frustrating, idiotic way too :)

+1!

I did similar when replacing flywheel and clutch last year - used the wrong size clutch alignment tool - got everything torqued up perfectly, then found I couldn't remove the tool as it was jammed behind the clutch plate!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have just replaced the clutch in my 3.2 GT too and also ran into all these issues.

If you move the clutch arm with the box off then the release bearing will fall out so keep it still.

Also had the same issue with the clutch alignment tool so had to work out a substitute with a 12mm hex socket and extention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts