Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just got my new 156, she got a few snags but all is good just wanted to test the 156 owners views..as follows

When AFM is attached drives really flat hard has large flat spots, disconnect AFM no problems high revering but struggles to idel...partly i think as it has a cone flilter ..so no air box.

I think the soloution is new AFM, and air box???:confused:

Only other possible issue is when driving around town, goes to 90 on the temp goes back down goes 90 then back down again..should I be worried? its not over heating as such.....but my v6 gtv does not do this??? sits at about 70 only in traffic goes to 90???

Just would like some of your view on the issues???

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Only other possible issue is when driving around town, goes to 90 on the temp goes back down goes 90 then back down again..should I be worried? its not over heating as such.....but my v6 gtv does not do this??? sits at about 70 only in traffic goes to 90???

Just would like some of your view on the issues???

Thanks in advance :thumbs:[/QUOTE]

The temperature fluctuations are not a problem.Its just the thermostat doing its job. It only becomes an issue if it does not get warm or it keeps climbing above 90 and does not drop.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
The temperature fluctuations are not a problem.Its just the thermostat doing its job. It only becomes an issue if it does not get warm or it keeps climbing above 90 and does not drop.
Temperature fluctuations mean the thermostat IS NOT doing its job properly and is sticking open.
It should be stable close to 90 all the time once warm.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The temperature fluctuations are not a problem.Its just the thermostat doing its job. It only becomes an issue if it does not get warm or it keeps climbing above 90 and does not drop.[/QUOTE]

Thanks am always super sensative to possible issues when its an Alfa just wanted to make sure:)

Any ideas on the afm?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Temperature fluctuations mean the thermostat IS NOT doing its job properly and is sticking open.
It should be stable close to 90 all the time once warm.
:cry: ..:lol: mee think i better get a new thermostat then..if you think thats the problem, better to catch it soon rather than later :(, i should add it goes between 80-90 when its going up and down

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone got any ideas on AFM?, particular jerky when cold and AFM connected? could there be a possible lambra sensor issue as when warm not as bad?

So to be on the blag for info not that clued up on the Ts engine? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I believe that with an AFM (MAF) disconnected the car will idle roughly and you may have problems pulling away.
Prob best to replace the meter then If you need to troubleshoot further have a look at how dirty the throttlebody is and have a DELICATE clean up without moving the butterfly valve (or you risk damaging it).

As for the thermostat have a look at this:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engines-ts-jts-jtd-and-v6/112935-how-to-change-a-thermostat-on-a-twinspark.html

Not really a tough job and could save you a few quid.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the thermostat. Movements between 80-90 are totally normal so why change it?
Because the thermostat is on its way out as dictated by the fluctuations. Should sit at 90 at all times when warm.

Also you should be able to confirm the MAF is up the spout by using a diagnostic examiner. Should bring up a related error code.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The thermostat should not sit at a steady 90 , read the other threads on here which explain why. There is no damper in ECU for the thermostat which in other makes of car give the steady readings.
Temperatures are never constant in a car they fluctuate. Put your car on Alfa diag and see the true readings.If the thermostat is closed all the time how does the cooling take place?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The thermostat should not sit at a steady 90 , read the other threads on here which explain why. There is no damper in ECU for the thermostat which in other makes of car give the steady readings.
Temperatures are never constant in a car they fluctuate. Put your car on Alfa diag and see the true readings.If the thermostat is closed all the time how does the cooling take place?
Was in 147 mode (which stay at 90). All the 156's I have ever drove have been rock solid on 90. :confused:
I agree that the actual temp may fluctuate (as seen by the ECU).
I personally would keep an eye on the temp. If it runs any lower than 80 I would warrant a new thermostat(more apparent on a cold day and takes a long time to get up to temp).
I would hedge my bet on the thermostat being a bit tired.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Was in 147 mode (which stay at 90). All the 156's I have ever drove have been rock solid on 90. :confused:
Mine stays stable at 90 too.
And so do most others with a correctly working thermostat, rad & fans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts