Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mrs has a mk4 golf and it needs the brakes changing. I hate spending money on it and I hate working on it. So my dilemma is:

Do I buy the full set for £60 cheap eBay ones?

Or

Spend a little more and get the full mintex set for £90?

I am dubious about the cheap eBay set as are they any good and will they last? I don't want to put crap brakes on just to save £30. No matter how much the Mrs irritates me :lol:

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
What are Euro car parts' prices like?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
£50 for front discs
£60 for rear discs
£15 for rear pads
£25 for front pads
£150 for a full set of pagid discs and pads :wow:

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
£72 for a full set. :thumbs:

What I don't understand is that it shows three brands and says one of these brands will be supplied. Are they all the same quality?

Brake engineering
Bremtech
Brembo
I would have thought so. I've used them for years because they are local. The guys who work there also know their stuff. Give them a ring. As long as you understand Lancastrian they'll be very helpful.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a bit of research they are all oem equivalent. Cheers keithyboy :thumbs: so for the sake of £12 I'll go for them.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
If you are diy-ing it, it is easy enough. Just try not to dislocate your thumb on the caliper sliding bolts like i did.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done brakes before but knowing this car it will be a ball ache for some reason. Every job I've done on it has been a pain.

Intake manifold off to do the spark plugs

Dipstick tube disintegrated when topping the oil up.

Window regulator was a nightmare.

I hate working on it. :rant:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Cheap ones. The Mintex will double the worth of the car though I'd guess. :D

Seriously, my GT seems to wear tyres out quickly. It could probably do with a four wheel alignment. Anyway I've just put ditch finders on it until I stop Mavising around. They actually seem better than the Falkens I had previous and the F1's!!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it was my piece of crap I'd put cheap ones on but it's hers and believe me she needs decent brakes. :lol:

Oem ones will be good enough from the website kb posted. :thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts