Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I'm new to all this, but have been using the site for some time to learn new things about my G, I have to start by saying the expertise/wisdom of some of you on here has taught me a lot!

I currently have a single exit stock pipe (1.4 MA TB) and, after loads of thinking and comparing, I think I've decided to go for a UlterSport back box along with a Novitec diffuser. I was wandering whether or not they will fit together properly as I am not using the Novitec exhaust itself...

Also, just a side question if anyone can answer, a friend of mine told me that if the spare tire compartment is in the way of where the new twin back box will be placed, the compartment will have to be removed ('cut off') in order to make place for the exhaust. Has anyone had experience with this at all? I'm pretty sure its okay as i've never read such a thing on AO previously when reading exhaust threads, but i just want my heart at rest before I buy the parts :big laugh:

Really sorry if I haven't put this thread in the right place, or if my question is stupid or long, still trying to get used to using the posting feature of the site :paranoid:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ive got the ulter twin exit on my 1.4.

Very easy to put on. and no it doesn't come close to anything on the under side.

Stick your head under and you'll see a heat shield covering the spare tire well too. So its all safe.
And the bolt for the right hand side hanger is in the rear sub frame so just a hanger is needed.

Good luck.
it really sets off the car looks wise. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive got the ulter twin exit on my 1.4.

Very easy to put on. and no it doesn't come close to anything on the under side.

Stick your head under and you'll see a heat shield covering the spare tire well too. So its all safe.
And the bolt for the right hand side hanger is in the rear sub frame so just a hanger is needed.

Good luck.
it really sets off the car looks wise. :thumbup:
Thanks for the reply! Even the bolt is already under the car, the G was always destined for twins :biglaugh: I've watched a couple youtube videos and sound looks to be great, you liking it so far in terms of sound?

Cheers once again!

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
I cannot understand why they didn't fit twin exhaust to the normal Petrol versions, makes no sense to me as it looks much better.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
it's the badging replacement... before people had badges to show they had the big engines, but then people started removing badges. This way makes more money for alfa though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cannot understand why they didn't fit twin exhaust to the normal Petrol versions, makes no sense to me as it looks much better.
I find myself asking that more and more each time I look at the rear. Seriously, the single exhaust IMO looks cheap compared to the rest of the car, definitely looking to change it soon! Have you changed your exhaust at all? (also whats your opinion on the Ulter back box fitting Novitec diffuser??)

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
Mine is the standard twin exhaust.

It is as quiet as a mouse.

·
Registered
36,851 Posts
The MA as a 1.4 ,admittedly with 170 hp, hardly needs to look like a 4.2 V8 that pollutes in a big way. And the front of the car is asymmetric so why not the rear?
In my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MA as a 1.4 ,admittedly with 170 hp, hardly needs to look like a 4.2 V8 that pollutes in a big way. And the front of the car is asymmetric so why not the rear?
In my opinion.
With one mod alone the car produces 210 horses, making it quicker than a few GTIs out there (which VW have blessed with twins), faster than the A3 1.4TFSI, a couple focus STs (with a funky centre exhaust) and a Corsa VXR (pretty sure vauxhall gave that a twin exit too :depressed:) It's definitely not as absurd as you make it sound :yes:

Asymmetric from the front?? Enlighten me if you don't mind :biglaugh:

(BTW I know you don't like the idea, but please advise me as you seem pretty clued up with the G, the novitec diffuser would definitely fit the ulter exhaust right?)

·
Registered
36,851 Posts
Asymmetric from the front?
1. The number plate.
2. Unless I'm mistaken, only the driver gets a steering wheel.

Enlightened?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Asymmetric from the front?
1. The number plate.
2. Unless I'm mistaken, only the driver gets a steering wheel.

Enlightened?
Good answer! Apart from the steering wheel part; had that been relevant symmetry would be an irrelevant factor of aesthetics with regards to 99.99% of cars (in case there are one or two out there with a passenger steering wheel). Nevertheless, we'll agree to disagree, I feel that, from what I've read, everyone is for the idea of a twin exit exhaust and cost/ carelessness is the only reason single exhaust G's are around.

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Even the bolt is already under the car, the G was always destined for twins :biglaugh: I've watched a couple youtube videos and sound looks to be great, you liking it so far in terms of sound?

Cheers once again!
The sound is a little bit more than standard but not massively so.
i just watched a few videos the other night and though....."my car doesn't sound that loud"

but it definitely has a deeper note with more "grumble" about it.
the butt dyno feels a little bit nippier or more free revving. Cant explain it properly but i know the feeling from various part swapping on my bikes.

I say do go for it! to me the car deserves it and it really dose look alot better on the rear end, which is 99% why i got it.

Also worth mentioning is after a salty winter there is a little bit of browning/surface rust on the paint.
so i have it off for a strip down and spray up with some proper VHT etching primer and paint which should last a lifetime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sound is a little bit more than standard but not massively so.
i just watched a few videos the other night and though....."my car doesn't sound that loud"

but it definitely has a deeper note with more "grumble" about it.
the butt dyno feels a little bit nippier or more free revving. Cant explain it properly but i know the feeling from various part swapping on my bikes.

I say do go for it! to me the car deserves it and it really dose look alot better on the rear end, which is 99% why i got it.

Also worth mentioning is after a salty winter there is a little bit of browning/surface rust on the paint.
so i have it off for a strip down and spray up with some proper VHT etching primer and paint which should last a lifetime.
I'm pretty sure its louder than a Ragazzon back box from what I've seen/ heard, but not too loud which is what I like, don't think the G suits a 2005 decat type-r kind of sound personally :biglaugh: Also it's always a possibility that cars in the video have been modded in other ways so you can never really tell 100%, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot after my exams... Thanks for all the info you've been really informative mate! Noise and performance aside it will look amazing so I can't wait!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts