Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have had a GT Blackline for a year now and have had a change of job that cuts down my mileage from 14k a year to 7K a year so having a diesel does not make sence. i nearly got a mito diesel but could only road test the petrol car and don't remember which size engine it was but the steering lacked feel.

i love the GT but have never got on with the seats or the 18" wheel that ruin the ride , certainly wifey's 147 lusso jtdm is a better handling and quicker car .

So

i need a petrol car and it think its a mito 155( or 135MA if i can afford it) or grande punto abarth .

what to look out for and has anyone here have both?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
i have had a GT Blackline for a year now and have dad a change of job that cuts down my mileage from 14k a year to 7K a year so having a diesel does not make sence. i nearly got a mito diesel but could only road test the petrol car and dont remember which size engine it was but the steering lacked feel.

i love the GT but have never got on with the seats or the 18" wheel that ruin the ride , certainly wifey's 147 lusso jtdm is a better handling and quicker car .

So

i need a petrol car and it think its a mito 155( or 135MA if i can afford it) or grande punto abarth .

what to look out for and has anyone here have both?
Well, from what you've said about the ride of your GT, you'll probably want to consider the 2011 135MA with the new Koni suspension or the QV with adaptive suspension, because the Mito's ride, especially with 17"'s, is not soft, but the upgraded suspension apparently makes a big difference. I've not experienced a abarth punto, but i would like to before i purchase my next car. The Mito's a great car! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
You want to consider the Abarth Punto Evo, ride is pretty good out of the box, it has the QV multiair engine, I've been enjoying it as shown in the image attached, I'm sure the QV is just as good but for me the Punto had more of a classic hot hatch look to it, skirts and spoliers, stripes, nice stuff, also preferred the interior, seats etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Well a guy I know has the punto arbarth. Nice car!

However we both prefer the mito. He tried to trade in for a QV but would have cost him too much. The arbarth has weak residuals, where as the mito was ranked 9th best, beating the mini.

Oh, and my QV wins in a drag race every time :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The interior on the Abarth is lovely & it looks better in my eyes.

It's got a young persons racy image though & the newer generation MiTi drive better on account of better (but still woeful) ePAS.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Abarth alllllll the way :)
What she said :thumbs:

Sorry but MiTo's just don't interest me for whatever reason, leaves me cold whenever I see one...even though they ain't too bad to drive :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I must say i do quite like the abarth punto (Dirty secret) even though im a Mito driver. It just reminds me of what a hot hatch should be, over the top styling that really has no place on a hatch but somehow it works:confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The interior on the Abarth is lovely & it looks better in my eyes.

It's got a young persons racy image though & the newer generation MiTi drive better on account of better (but still woeful) ePAS.

this is the point !

i haven't driven an abarth but i did the mito and having had a fiat stilo before hand i was a bit put off by the feel.

i would be get feed up by always flipping tke DNA swith to Dynamic every time i start the car but it get the MPG you have to use Normal setting.

i want a button that makes it GO!!!!! just like the abarth.lol

Seriously , like i said Electric PAS is lifeless so if anyone can honestly say which steers better?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Doesn't the abarth just have DN? (essentially as opposed to DNA)

So if you find a switch annoying I wouldn't get an abarth. No offence but I find it odd how people get annoyed by being given a choice? Not many cars in this price range that you get to select drive mode -especially useful if you want a remap but spend a lot of time commuting for example.

Anyway, abarth is great looking and an even rarer choice.interior is grand too. That said Mito shades it a bit in my view as seems a bit more refined.

M

·
0 Posts
this is the point !

i haven't driven an abarth but i did the mito and having had a fiat stilo before hand i was a bit put off by the feel.

i would be get feed up by always flipping tke DNA swith to Dynamic every time i start the car but it get the MPG you have to use Normal setting.

i want a button that makes it GO!!!!! just like the abarth.lol

Seriously , like i said Electric PAS is lifeless so if anyone can honestly say which steers better?
In my experience the fuel econ. is the same in normal and Dynamic if your driving style is the same in both modes (I.e. unless you thrash the car when its in D).

Normal makes the car feel flat so I wouldn't bother with that mode at all, putting it in D upon start-up becomes second nature.

As for the steering, it may feel alittle odd to you at first if your new to the car but its nothing you cant get used to.

Having owned Grande Punto Sporting as my previous car, I have nothing but fond memories of it. I seriously considered the abarth GP over my current car but choose not to, mostly because it wasn't different enough from what I already owned, but also partly because the Mito has a classier image and feel to it IMO.

Both are good though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
will be interested to see if N mode has better econ on the QV - it has an eco shift indicator in N which might be helpful, but to be honest it's easy to work out which gear you should be in to drive economically.

i found with a 95 i had as a courtesy that i had worse MPG in general because i had to thrash it a bit more to get up to motorway speed, whereas the 120 cruises up to that with less effort. maybe with more power on tap the engine has to work less hard to get the required speed?

as you suggest - naturally in D mode most people actively drive a bit more energetically as you have made a concerted effort to pick a mode that is more fun to drive in - but it is interesting to hear that matt

i assume this is for the 155? as the 120 has no engine difference in D or N

personally i prefer the N mode for just driving around town - D mode steering is firmer but more numb

in short i think how you drive affects the MPG far far more than driving mode

·
Registered
760 Posts
Came from the grande punto sporting 1.9mjet to the mito 155. Again seriously consider the AGP and A500 test drive quite a few but they felt to much and looked likr my GPS, the AGP that is. The A500 was just too small.

I think most of above comments has given an good overall opinion. I just saw the mito to be slightly less boyracer! Thought the AGP and TB155 is practically the same car, with different cosmetic's

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Came from the grande punto sporting 1.9mjet to the mito 155. Again seriously consider the AGP and A500 test drive quite a few but they felt to much and looked likr my GPS, the AGP that is. The A500 was just too small.

I think most of above comments has given an good overall opinion. I just saw the mito to be slightly less boyracer! Thought the AGP and TB155 is practically the same car, with different cosmetic's
must dig out the article from autoitalia . i think they ran the mito 155 v GPA.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Doesn't the abarth just have DN? (essentially as opposed to DNA)

So if you find a switch annoying I wouldn't get an abarth. No offence but I find it odd how people get annoyed by being given a choice? Not many cars in this price range that you get to select drive mode -especially useful if you want a remap but spend a lot of time commuting for example.

Anyway, abarth is great looking and an even rarer choice.interior is grand too. That said Mito shades it a bit in my view as seems a bit more refined.
In the Abarth you set the switch to what you like, it never reverts back to Normal mode, personally I do find the car easier to drive in Normal economically, so it works for me, in sport mode it just want to go looney, not conducive to economical progress.

regarding steering its fine, tyre pressure and toe setting will determine the feel and response I don't find it odd.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I find it's much more economical in N mode. In D mode the turbo spools up much faster, and even a slight bit of acceleration in d mode gives boost, which uses fuel.

Also if you are doing 40mph in N mode, switch to D mode doing the same speed, the mpg drops. I guess because less of the turbo is being used. An observation I have noticed is that in d mode my turbo spools, you can even hear it when the windows are up. In n mode you can't hear it at all.

I do like the arbarth. But I also found when next to each other, the mito was just more classy. After owning for a year I'm happy with the choice I made by comparing the residuals.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I suppose since mechanically and engine wise they are the same car, it's down to styling, equipment and if / how you want to mod. B16 kit and the same engine mods on both and there would be nothing between them in performance. I like them both tbh, just a shame they never did the MiTo GTA as i'd be up for that - the Cloverleaf just isn't quick enough for me really, would need 250bhp+. Wonder how hard it would be to drop the 1750TB in a MiTo / PGA / 500A?? ;)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Understand what your saying James, however personally one of the major reasons I chose the mito is the cheap running costs. I didn't buy it to be a really fast car, although it's quick enough to have fun. What I would have if I could afford would be a impreza rb320 :) insurance on one of them for me was 3 grand...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts