Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Mito Twinair 105 bhp

7060 Views 19 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  YorkieSud
Hi,

I appreciate Alfa haven't officially made the Mito available with the Twinair 105bhp engine in the UK yet, but has anyone driven it or know anyone who has in Italy etc?

I drove the old 85bhp Twinair whilst comparing it to the 1.3 Jtdm-2 diesel and wasn't that impressed. Yes it was a lively unit but didn't seem to pull as well as the diesel. Now that there is a 105bhp version coming, i was wondering if the 20bhp increase has made a big difference?

Does anyone have any experience of this engine?

I'm waiting to place an order through my companies lease scheme, and can't wait.

Cheers
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok - so here are my conclusions having driven one yesterday.

I agree with Dave from Bauer, it is smoother and quieter, although i actually prefer the sound of the 85 as it is a little more raspier. In Dynamic mode it certainly goes better than the 85 with a better spread of power. Joining the dual carriageway was easy going as it had enough umph to get up to speed quickly. Overtaking was also no problem, it does seem to have more torque, although the figures quoted for the 85 and 105 are the same? In the town it was also very impressive, it revs freely and quickly. I noticed i kept hitting the rev limiter in low gears as it gets there very quickly. I really enjoyed the drive. It sounded good, it pulled well and put a smile on my face.

However, in Normal mode i found the car very laboured. I had a couple of scary moments pulling away from roundabouts, as it was very flat, too flat in fact. This tarnished the experience for me.

I love the car in Dynamic mode, but the mpg was reporting 23mpg, and i wasn't driving it hard at all.

My intention was to go for the Twinair in Sportiva trim as it looks amazing, but i couldn't live with that fuel consumption.

I'm now swaying towards the 1.3jtdm-2 in Distinctive trim. If only Alfa put this engine in the Sportiva, i'd be one happy bunny.

Dave - i'd be interested in the mpg you guys are getting in yours, as you've had it a couple of weeks now.

Cheers

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the 1.6 diesel in the Sportiva would be perfect for me but too expensive.

I have no problem with diesels, in fact the Alfa diesels are the best i've driven. I have the 1.9 M-Jet 16v diesel in my 147 and i love it. It goes like stink and returns 48+mpg but I know neither the twinair or the 1.3 diesel will compare to this.

The 105 TA drove really well, although completely differently to my 147, i still loved it. It was a cracking car to drive, and i know i'd have lots of fun it, but i don't want to buy a brand new car and it cost me more in fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.