Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I appreciate Alfa haven't officially made the Mito available with the Twinair 105bhp engine in the UK yet, but has anyone driven it or know anyone who has in Italy etc?

I drove the old 85bhp Twinair whilst comparing it to the 1.3 Jtdm-2 diesel and wasn't that impressed. Yes it was a lively unit but didn't seem to pull as well as the diesel. Now that there is a 105bhp version coming, i was wondering if the 20bhp increase has made a big difference?

Does anyone have any experience of this engine?

I'm waiting to place an order through my companies lease scheme, and can't wait.

Cheers

·
Registered
961 Posts
You can't really compare 85bhp gasoline to diesel for torque, I wouldn't imagine the extra 20 bhp would add many more newton metres for you to notice a big difference. Winds my son up when I go to the UK, I park the rental car and take his twinair

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a 1.3 JTDM 95bhp at the moment and I'm test driving the 105bhp twinair tomorrow. I'm a little hesitant as I don't want anything that feels slower than mine. I'm hesitant of getting another 1.3 diesel as they are only 85bhp now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a 1.3 JTDM 95bhp at the moment and I'm test driving the 105bhp twinair tomorrow. I'm a little hesitant as I don't want anything that feels slower than mine. I'm hesitant of getting another 1.3 diesel as they are only 85bhp now.
Conclusions are that overall performance is very similar. It certainly needs revving more as the power band is higher but it loves to rev. The JTDM is more relaxing to drive as the torque is so low down and 1st gear on the twinair is very short so you hit the rev limiter in no time.

Although the twinair isn't quiet, it's much quieter than the diesel!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks for the conclusions. So - would you buy one?

Can I also ask where you test drove one? My local dealer has told me they aren't getting one for a while, after September.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Order has been placed for September delivery! It's a car already built and in the system.

It was Perrys in Amersham. The demo car only came in on Friday, we test drove it Saturday on trade plates.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm going to spend a day or two in ours later this week, will put up some reviews and opinions then

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am very interested in this too. I ordered this model a few weeks ago (it's due to arrive at dealer any day soon) I currently own a 135bhp Veloce on rolling finance so wanted to stick with the Mito. I test drove the 85bhp and it seemed fine cruising along the duel carriageway, not too bad pulling away from standstill but compared to my existing car there was obvious lack of torque, it red lined the rev counter very quickly but I guess that's something I will get used to. But the only thing I didn't like was the sound of the engine when idling. Sounded like something was wrong with it! Again I guess I'll get used to that too.

So I would love to know your impressions of the slightly better 105bhp version. Not that I can change my mind now!

D

·
0 Posts
Any update on your review Dave? I had a second test drive on Friday and I was even more impressed than with the first.
Totally different world from 85, smoother, quieter, broader powerband, more torque, complete transformation of the car.

As is the centre stack/audio treatment, looks more grown up/premium in matt black and the little Alfa script is a nice touch.
No cars with DAB/Nav yet but standard U-Connect works great

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok - so here are my conclusions having driven one yesterday.

I agree with Dave from Bauer, it is smoother and quieter, although i actually prefer the sound of the 85 as it is a little more raspier. In Dynamic mode it certainly goes better than the 85 with a better spread of power. Joining the dual carriageway was easy going as it had enough umph to get up to speed quickly. Overtaking was also no problem, it does seem to have more torque, although the figures quoted for the 85 and 105 are the same? In the town it was also very impressive, it revs freely and quickly. I noticed i kept hitting the rev limiter in low gears as it gets there very quickly. I really enjoyed the drive. It sounded good, it pulled well and put a smile on my face.

However, in Normal mode i found the car very laboured. I had a couple of scary moments pulling away from roundabouts, as it was very flat, too flat in fact. This tarnished the experience for me.

I love the car in Dynamic mode, but the mpg was reporting 23mpg, and i wasn't driving it hard at all.

My intention was to go for the Twinair in Sportiva trim as it looks amazing, but i couldn't live with that fuel consumption.

I'm now swaying towards the 1.3jtdm-2 in Distinctive trim. If only Alfa put this engine in the Sportiva, i'd be one happy bunny.

Dave - i'd be interested in the mpg you guys are getting in yours, as you've had it a couple of weeks now.

Cheers

·
Registered
570 Posts
Interesting Dancam. I'm switching from the 1.3jtdm to the 105 twinair Sportiva so I do hope fuel consumption won't be too disappointing.

I've always found the 1.3 JTDM too noisy and unrefined so I'm glad to switch to a petrol. The 1.6 JTDM probably would have been ideal but it was too expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the 1.6 diesel in the Sportiva would be perfect for me but too expensive.

I have no problem with diesels, in fact the Alfa diesels are the best i've driven. I have the 1.9 M-Jet 16v diesel in my 147 and i love it. It goes like stink and returns 48+mpg but I know neither the twinair or the 1.3 diesel will compare to this.

The 105 TA drove really well, although completely differently to my 147, i still loved it. It was a cracking car to drive, and i know i'd have lots of fun it, but i don't want to buy a brand new car and it cost me more in fuel.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've had about 8 diesels in a row and the 1.3 JTDM engine is by far the worst of all of them! It is the smallest and cheapest so not surprising.

I also had a 147 1.9 M-Jet 16v diesel in our second 147 and that was great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a test drive of the Twin air at my local dealer.
I was very impressed, a lot better performance than I expected.

But I don't know what the refinement would be on a long journey.
The revs may need to be kept slightly higher.

I have a 1.3 jtd just now & I would prefer a 135 multiair or a QV (wishful thinking).
The 1.6jtd would probably be worth a look too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ouch! An Alfa with two cylinders is heresy! Having said that....they are all Fiat engines with a premium on servicing costs when transplanted to Alfas!....Rather consider an Abarth to be honest....but whatever rocks your boat I suppose!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts