Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a Mito Turismo before Xmas, but for various reasons decided to put it on hold until the New Year. However when I went to check the price today expecting an increase of a few hundred because of the VAT increase I was a bit annoyed to find its gone up by about a grand!

August 2009 Mito 1.4 16v 95 bhp Turismo price: £11495 Total OTR

January 2010 Mito 1.4 16v 95 bhp Turismo price: £12455 Total OTR

Now this has thrown the sale in doubt as my wife doesn't think its worth it. Why has Alfa done this especially when new cars are apparently not selling at the moment?!

Actually checking the price lists all of the Mito's have gone up by around £1000!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I agree the price increases have seriously made the car a worse deal, I got a 120bhp veloce for £12500 with scrappage scheme (would have been 2k more without scrap), which made the car good value for money, but with the price increases some people will be forced to get a lower spec, meaning less value for money...
However, for me the mito has been a perfect car, had no problems at all with it, so maybe this is why they are increasing the price

M

·
0 Posts
I was going to buy a Mito Turismo before Xmas, but for various reasons decided to put it on hold until the New Year. However when I went to check the price today expecting an increase of a few hundred because of the VAT increase I was a bit annoyed to find its gone up by about a grand!

August 2009 Mito 1.4 16v 95 bhp Turismo price: £11495 Total OTR

January 2010 Mito 1.4 16v 95 bhp Turismo price: £12455 Total OTR

Now this has thrown the sale in doubt as my wife doesn't think its worth it. Why has Alfa done this especially when new cars are apparently not selling at the moment?!

Actually checking the price lists all of the Mito's have gone up by around £1000!
Pretty much all small cars are increasing in price. The Corsa starts from 10,500 now and the fiesta from 11,500 - which is rubbish compared to a mito junior at 11,900 in that its alot slower and has no equipment to speak of. Even the new punto evo will start at £10,995!!!! Considering the original GP started at 3,500 less than that, its huge jump.

So if you want a relatively popular small car, you have to be prepared to pay alot more money than just over a year ago. Dont think that the recession has decreased small car prices - because it most certainly hasn't. It'l be interesting to see how much of these price rises are to absorb the cost of the scrappage scheme - and whether there will be any difference to car prices when it ends.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Cheap..here in OZ the Cheapest is a good UK £16.000 OTR and comes with a 88 BHP motor.

And we have only 5% import duty and 10% (VAT) GST

Alfa Romeo..... when you have more money than sense

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 155 Turbo Sport is about £20000 UK in OZ. Comes with Leather for those with a leather fetish ;)

Used Cars - 2009 ALFA ROMEO MITO SPORT - $39,440 - Alfa Romeo Australia
Sweet thats nice :) I just got another look at it..
http://www.demades.com/docs/AlfaMiTo.pdf

The distintive model is at the 19800 Euro range with another 1100 Euro for the sport pack 2 which has everything in.

Whats the difference between competizione upholstery and sport upholstery though o_O As far as i can see the difference with the OZ model is leather seats? (unless thats upholstery too)

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
The VAT increase only accounts for £300 I'm not sure how Afla can justify the other £700.
Devaluation of Currency due to the Country being Well run By British Nuovo Labour... The British pound has collapsed against many Currencies including the Australian Dollar which appreciated over 50%against the Pound in the last 2 years .

·
Registered
508 Posts
Maybe the Euro exchange rate's gone down? That would make UK prices go up.
You have hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately the pound isn't far off being only worth about 1 Euro compared to around 1.4 in 2008 which is a big negative shift, as a result, prices have had to increase to allow for this, unfortunately our pound doesn't get us anywhere near as much as it used to. As you can see for some of the other posts from our friends in other countries, by comparison, the UK gets a very good deal! Alfa are not alone, the New Fiesta started at £8695 when launched in Nov 2008 and now starts at £11536 so nearly £3000 increase in 14 months so by comparison, the MiTo price increases have been quite conservative thankfully

David

B

·
0 Posts
But no other new cars are going up this much in value.
Maybe not at exactly the same time, but just look how many significant price rises Ford had for instance last year due to the Sterling / Euro rate.

The Mito has also had several rises since it came out, for instance I bought mine early on and now the same car would cost nearly £2.5k more with the same spec / extras. I certainly wouldn't buy the same car again at that price...

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Compare the Turismo spec to the competition and you will see they are still better value for money. I spent a month looking at other cars and the MiTo even in Turismo spec comes out top every time. The safety equipment is higher than most, you have climate control, the electric windows can be operated from the key fob, the DNA system does seem to work (the past few weeks put the A setting to the test), and in general the equipment levels are higher.

I looked at the Fiesta ... and apart from the much higher price (Fords went up SIX times after the scrappage scheme was announced), the dash board just looked like a massive mobile phone even on the lower spec cars.

The Seat Ibiza wasn't bad but didn't look as good as the MiTo.

The Mazda 2 (a Fiesta in disguise) sounded tinny and light weight.

We also looked at the Astra, and many others ... in all cases I'd pay the extra and get the much better MiTo.

And yes, VAT and the useless Euro exchange rate is hurting. But the government won't care ... the more the base price, the more tax they get.

And hopefully they will be out by May 6th ... according to Bob Hainsworth that is apparently when we "will rue our decision to vote Tory" ... somehow I don't think so ....

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
You can buy a Focus XR5 Turbo for less than the price of a 155 Mito Sport...A$35K Vs A$40KOTR here in Australia.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
In the next 12 -18 months VAT will probably be increased to 20% by whoever wins the next general election. Another price hike for cars and petrol :rant:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel glad that I got mine back in March. I paid £11600 for my 95bhp lusso back then, including the extra for red paint! Some thought it was silly and that it would be easy to get at least a grand off book price once they had been out 10 months or so!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
As gazza82 said it's rendered a bit irrelevant with how much more you get for your money compared to everything else in the same segment.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts