Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone, I'm currently looking for a small automatic car for the wife, she is driving my mini clubman s at the minute but desperately wants an auto - but she did mention it way back in October !

Anyhow, her main car is a mk1 TT roadster which in 6 years has covered 6000 miles. So the search that started in October when we went around lots of dealers and just jumping in cars to find out if the driving position was good got us a shortlist of

Fiesta, Suzuki swift, Hyundai i10 and vw up. One stipulation is that her car must be quicker than the other runaround, that being a 1.2 Vauxhall corsa ..... The up was ruled out by its poor gearbox based on reviews and knowing what the robotised manual is like in the R8. The i10 on the account that it's slow leaving us with swift and fiesta, neither of which we have driven yet.

Having searched autotrader two more suggestions popped up, the new skoda Fabia and the Mito, these will both have to pass the seating position test, I feel the Fabia will get eliminated on the account that it's similar to the polo and Ibiza which were both dismissed. The wild card at present is a sub 3k Mercedes a class, but most of these are low powered or diesel, neither of which I want.

So that brings me to the purpose of this post, the Mito. I've watched a couple of road test videos on YouTube and read some of the magazine reviews some which like the Mito others not so complimentary on the tct box.

What's the general consensus on here regarding the box ? The main things I seem to have picked up on are the stop start system on early cars and the fact in low speed situations it holds gears too long, bogs down and generally isn't nice. In manual mode and driven with enthusiasm it's supposedly good.

I'm ideally looking at cars around the 8k mark so this puts me in one of the early ones so one of the last things I want to do is buy one that needs a cam belt and then gearbox fluid change (do these need them every 2 years or mileage based ? ) because if that's the case I might as well buy a newer one.

The target for me is to get something with a small deposit and around £100 per month, I'd rather not pcp one but over 4 years it works out slightly cheaper than buying a 3k car and its associated running costs. I know I can pick up a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost powershift and get very close to £100 per month and at the moment subject to driving one it's the favourite.

But the Mito looks good, has enough performance and the fuel economy is good enough and it can be used for trips too and from work and the occasional long run.

What are people's thoughts on the Mito txt, any good, would you buy another, anything to avoid and look out for ?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got a 2010 MiTo 1.3MA TCT(to give it its full name), done approx. 46,500miles with it. Been great. Multiair failed at about 25,000miles but fixed under the warranty. Other than that been a great car. Average around 40-42mpg. Done M/way trip from oop north down to cambridge with out any worry. Even managed 47mpg out of that journey.
If i read it right, the TCT is a "dry clutch", not sat in an oil bath therefore no oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts