Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to this forum - my wife and I have just purchased a second-hand Alfa Mito 1.4 MultiAir TCT and we both love it :) ! Only 15000 miles on the clock, so it's not been heavily used.

Only one thing about it - we've had it now for 2 months and I've not heard the start&stop cut in at all. I read some of the other forum posts and they suggest the battery may be the cause. I'm not that anxious to find out what's wrong by the sounds of some of the posts - they say that the S&S is more trouble than it's worth.

Is there any way I can find out why it's not cutting in though?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
it's almost always down to the battery, esp if you can't find anything it could be in the list below (from a giulietta but similar for all makes)

- version with tct transmission

Engine stopping mode

With the vehicle almost at a standstill (speed lower than 3 km/h for more than 0.5 seconds and accelerator pedal released), the engine stops if the following manoeuvres are carried out:
- gear lever is in a position other than R
- brake pedal pressed.

The engine stopping is signalled by the dedicated warning light on the instrument panel.

Engine restarting mode

The engine is restarted automatically when:
- The brake pedal is released and the lever is not in N or P;
- the lever is shifted to an unstable position, +, - or R;
– the lever is moved from D to the left in sequential mode or vice versa;
- the levers + or − on the steering wheel are operated;

The display shows the passage:
- D, N, D: if the engine was switched off with lever in position D (automatic mode)
- 1, N, 1: if the engine was switched off with lever in sequential mode.

Engine stopping failure conditions

When the device is active the engine does not stop if:
- engine still cold (signal from the engine temperature sensor lower than about 40°C);
- battery not sufficiently charged (state of charge lower than 75%) or battery charge sensor malfunction detected;
- reduced braking system vacuum, detected by the dedicated sensor, e.g. if the brake pedal is pressed repeatedly;
- particulate filter regeneration in progress (diesel engines with DPF only);
- voltage stabilizer malfunction
- heated rear window activated (assuming that the driver wishes to demist the windows, it is appropriate for the engine to remain running to have hot air and/or air conditioning available)
- windscreen wiper operating at maximum speed for more than 4 seconds (in this condition it is assumed that the weather conditions are adverse and so it is preferable to have maximum driving comfort);
- driver's door not shut;
- driver's seat belt not fastened;
- reverse gear engaged (in this way the driveability during parking manoeuvres is not compromised);
- with automatic climate control system, if an adequate level of thermal comfort has not been reached (difference between the climate control temperature set by the customer and the temperature inside the passenger compartment greater than 4°C) or MAX-DEF activation;
- malfunction of some sensors or systems
- during the first period of use, to initialise the system.
- particularly cold external temperatures, if the corresponding indication is provided.

In the above cases there is an information message in the display and, where provided, the warning light will flash on the instrument panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's almost always down to the battery, esp if you can't find anything it could be in the list below (from a giulietta but similar for all makes)

- version with tct transmission

Engine stopping mode

With the vehicle almost at a standstill (speed lower than 3 km/h for more than 0.5 seconds and accelerator pedal released), the engine stops if the following manoeuvres are carried out:
- gear lever is in a position other than R
- brake pedal pressed.

The engine stopping is signalled by the dedicated warning light on the instrument panel.

Engine restarting mode

The engine is restarted automatically when:
- The brake pedal is released and the lever is not in N or P;
- the lever is shifted to an unstable position, +, - or R;
– the lever is moved from D to the left in sequential mode or vice versa;
- the levers + or − on the steering wheel are operated;

The display shows the passage:
- D, N, D: if the engine was switched off with lever in position D (automatic mode)
- 1, N, 1: if the engine was switched off with lever in sequential mode.

Engine stopping failure conditions

When the device is active the engine does not stop if:
- engine still cold (signal from the engine temperature sensor lower than about 40°C);
- battery not sufficiently charged (state of charge lower than 75%) or battery charge sensor malfunction detected;
- reduced braking system vacuum, detected by the dedicated sensor, e.g. if the brake pedal is pressed repeatedly;
- particulate filter regeneration in progress (diesel engines with DPF only);
- voltage stabilizer malfunction
- heated rear window activated (assuming that the driver wishes to demist the windows, it is appropriate for the engine to remain running to have hot air and/or air conditioning available)
- windscreen wiper operating at maximum speed for more than 4 seconds (in this condition it is assumed that the weather conditions are adverse and so it is preferable to have maximum driving comfort);
- driver's door not shut;
- driver's seat belt not fastened;
- reverse gear engaged (in this way the driveability during parking manoeuvres is not compromised);
- with automatic climate control system, if an adequate level of thermal comfort has not been reached (difference between the climate control temperature set by the customer and the temperature inside the passenger compartment greater than 4°C) or MAX-DEF activation;
- malfunction of some sensors or systems
- during the first period of use, to initialise the system.
- particularly cold external temperatures, if the corresponding indication is provided.

In the above cases there is an information message in the display and, where provided, the warning light will flash on the instrument panel.
Hi, Appreciate the quick response, many thanks. As far as I can see there are no warnings at all being displayed, so I can only assume that all sensors are working fine. I'm not sure about the battery charge - is there a way I can find out on the MiTo how much charge the battery has in it?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
affraid not. only way is to get the battery checked with a Midtronics or equivalent battery tester.

The Giulietta takes an AGM battery, is the one in your Mito an original Alfa/Fiat branded one and if not does it say AGM or VRLA on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
affraid not. only way is to get the battery checked with a Midtronics or equivalent battery tester.

The Giulietta takes an AGM battery, is the one in your Mito an original Alfa/Fiat branded one and if not does it say AGM or VRLA on it?
It's an RAC 64Ah 640A battery, not sure how old it is or what happened to the original one. The capacity seems to be suitable for Start&Stop system, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be enough (looks like it anyway), but if the original one is AGM or VRLA it's important the current one is aswell.
My wife said she's not too bothered at the moment about the S&S not working. I'll remember the useful tip about any new battery being AGM or VRLA though.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you have a smartphone plugged in to the USB socket ?

My Mito QV will enable the start stop much more often if nothing is plugged in to the USB socket. Suggesting drain on the battery as opposed to battery condition is the factor .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have just raised this issue with dealer at first service. They said that battery was not faulty but was low on power. It is booked in for an overnight battery charge to see if this rectifies the start stop not working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a smartphone plugged in to the USB socket ?

My Mito QV will enable the start stop much more often if nothing is plugged in to the USB socket. Suggesting drain on the battery as opposed to battery condition is the factor .
We don't have anything plugged into the USB, but I'm a bit suspicious of the RAC battery - it doesn't sound like it's exactly the right one for the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have just raised this issue with dealer at first service. They said that battery was not faulty but was low on power. It is booked in for an overnight battery charge to see if this rectifies the start stop not working.
That's quite likely here - the car was on a forecourt for some time before we bought it, so it might be that the battery is less than 100% operational.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is the car still in Alfa Warranty? If so raise it with an Alfa dealer. Start/stop is a function that should work. I suspect it is your battery. My car was preordered by someone and cancelled. I bought it new, two months after the pre-delivery inspection so it had been stored for two months without use hence why battery is low.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts