Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Apologies up front if there is already a forum that might have an answer. I have spent hours searching, but didn't find one.

I have a beautiful little 2010 Mito Sport 1.4 turbo petrol. It has the TCT transmission. I have two issues:

1. When the car is idling, there is a whining noise coming from the transmission (to give you an idea, on an older car, it sounds like a worn bearing). I think it could be the flywheel, but I am unsure. However, as soon as the car is put in motion (underload), the noise goes away. Thoughts?

2. The bigger of my problems though is that when the transmission changes from fifth to sixth gear, it throws the 'çheck transmission light' and puts the car into limp mode. It does this without fail - every single time the gear box changes from fifth to sixth. I have tried several diagnostic tools, but every one of them says the car has no fault codes stored. Currently I can only drive the car up to fifth gear, which as you can appreciate, is a relatively unrewarding experience and very frustrating. Any ideas on what might be wrong? One of the shift solenoids perhaps?

I have searched high and low for documentation and/or workshop and transmission manuals in an attempt to educate myself, but cannot find anything.

Any help would be most appreciative. I love the car and would really like to solve the problem without having to spend a fortune.

Thanks in advance, and happy to take further questions if points of clarification are required.

Warm Regards,

Muzz

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the code reader you used can't read the tct codes. What you need is MultiEcuScan. It's a free download but with limited capability. Perhaps it requires you to get a 50 euro license to read the tct codes and/or live data.

I suspect the issue is not a solenoid as a not working solenoid is often detectable without using, but rather a position switch to say the car is in 6th gear and out of 5th gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cuore_Sportivo_155, much appreciated. I am in the process of having the car diagnostics read by a proper Alfa Romeo dealership at the moment. Will keep everyone posted. Warm regards, and thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I also have the same issue when hitting 6th gear - the 'check transmission' message comes up and it goes in to limp mode. My mechanic and an auto-electrician have assessed and they reckon its a 6th gear solenoid that is faulty. I cant find anything on the net about where this is even located, or when I can get one from. Any ideas out there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts