Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all. Been a while since I posted.

Looking at getting a Mito sport tct 17"s. (slightly used).

Had 2 test drives recently. The suspension on one was supple, smooth, handled all the suburban duties (wildly variable road surfaces) with aplomb.

The other was brittle and intrusive.

The difference. Supple was a bare bones trim (don't know what Alfa UK call it), basic seats, no sunroof, no faux carbon fibre dash. Had 10k on odo. (dealer demo). It has multi air. My2010.

The HARSH one, totally specced up with full leather, sun roof, climate control - the works. Another dealer demo, 1k on odo. My 2011. Also multi air.

I suspect tyre pressure as the main "culprit".

But was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on the issue? Do some Mito's come off the assembly line with "softer" suspension tune? Or slightly lowered?

Does the weight "penalty" of the sun roof etc make a marked difference to suspension? Does having a passenger make a difference too?

Is there a way to return a HARSHLY tuned Mito back to SOFTER?

I ask, cause the fully specced up is only 2k dearer then the poverty spec version, and has nearly the full 3 years warranty, but FEELS like it would be much easier to live with day to day. If I can confidently find out why the "better" spec is harsh and can return it to supple, then I'll buy it in a heart beat.

Thanks in advance, apologies if this is covered in other threads, I did a search before asking.

Yes, I tried both in "N" and "D". Over the same roads (many times).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Don't know how it works over there, but here there is an option of "Sports suspension" that is supposed to be much better than the standard fittment

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know how it works over there, but here there is an option of "Sports suspension" that is supposed to be much better than the standard fittment
If you're referring to the magnetic adaptive dampers, they've only just been released, and only on the QV.

But.

If were talking 2 different type of "analog" tune/set-up? It probably would follow that the tct "sport" also has the "sports suspension"? It's not mentioned in ANY of the alfa-aussie-specs though?

But this is speculation on my part. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The harsh one had 1k on the odo as you say. Suspensions need time to 'break in.'
I think the sunroof isn't to blame- I've got one on my 1.3JTDM-2 and have found the
ride quality (on the standard 16" wheels and Bridgestone tyres) perfectly acceptable :)
Though I realise these are totally different models...

Note that sunroof-equipped Mitos come with height adjustment on both front seats-
mine's also got lumbar adjustability on both, a nice bonus :thumbs:
(though strangely, only one seat-back storage pocket :rolleyes:)

Chris

M

·
0 Posts
A Mito 135 Discintive in the UK (I.e. the highest model before the cloverleaf) now comes with different 'Koni' suspension set-up which is supposed to be smoother than the original set up.

Could explain some of the difference you experienced along with some other factors maybe.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
As well as all the perfectly sound reasons listed above, most Alfas and Fiats travel on the boat from Italy with over 40 psi in the tyres - presumably to minimise flatspotting when in storage. During the PDI the pressures should be reduced to the correct figure but I know of many owners who have been amazed (myself included) at the high pressures in the tyres when you first check them - and the subsequent softer ride when they are correctly set.
Worth checking before committing yourself

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As well as all the perfectly sound reasons listed above, most Alfas and Fiats travel on the boat from Italy with over 40 psi in the tyres - presumably to minimise flatspotting when in storage. During the PDI the pressures should be reduced to the correct figure but I know of many owners who have been amazed (myself included) at the high pressures in the tyres when you first check them - and the subsequent softer ride when they are correctly set.
Worth checking before committing yourself
Thanks to everyone for the clarity of your responses. That 40 psi answer seesm to be the most probable cause. Yeah, I'll check the psi on the one I REALLY want, before committing.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
One other aspect is the tyres. I've had a couple of courtesy cars with the same size tyres but different brands and the Pirellis have definitely given a better ride: Michelins and Bridgestones seemed to give a much harder ride. Fortunately ours came with Pirellis!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other aspect is the tyres. I've had a couple of courtesy cars with the same size tyres but different brands and the Pirellis have definitely given a better ride: Michelins and Bridgestones seemed to give a much harder ride. Fortunately ours came with Pirellis!
So, the mechanical (suspension) set-up/tune is the same for all TCT multi-air, regardless of trim.

Ride quality variable (seems to be) is tyre pressure and/or brand of tyre.

Thanks for the additional insights AndyPJ.

·
Registered
573 Posts
seems to be a recurring theme atm with tyres etc

put simplistically:

Soft tyre compounds = quieter road noise, softer ride, better grip in general (heat up faster) - BUT - poor tread life (wear out faster)

Hard tyre compounds = slightly noisier, harsher ride, worse general grip - BUT - good tyre wear

i think you have to balance out the costs between the more expensive option of getting tyres with good grip (softer, quieter), but therefore having to replace them often (eg pirellis), and getting harder wearing tyres for worse general grip etc but ones that wont wear out for a long time (eg bridgestones)

££££s at the end of the day

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I've just changed my tyres from 215/45/17's to 205/45/17's and that has definitely made the ride more compliant. Both sizes are recommended/approved/authorised by Alfa on 17" rims but size definitely does matter!

·
Administrator
87,045 Posts
I've just changed my tyres from 215/45/17's to 205/45/17's and that has definitely made the ride more compliant. Both sizes are recommended/approved/authorised by Alfa on 17" rims but size definitely does matter!

Assuming identical tyres the 215s should surely be more compliant as they have larger profile than the 205s :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Sidewall Marking Explanation: (205/50R 15 91V)

205 Width of the tyre in millimetres

50 Height of the tyre sidewall as a percentage of the width. In this case 50% of 205mm. Also know as the aspect ratio.

R Radial Construction
15 The diameter of the tyre's inner rim in inches

91 Load Capacity of Tyre (See Load Table). In this case its 615kg

V Speed Symbol. Indicates the max. speed for the tyre at full load. In this case 149.1mph.

E4 ECE type approval mark, which demonstrates the tyre has been tested as high quality by the European Regulatory Authorities.

copied from Blackcircles site
David P: the load index on the 215's is 615kg (91Y), the load index on the 205's is 560kg (88Y). Whilst the sidewall of the 205's is slightly smaller, the load index is 10% less which means it will flex more easily for the Mito's mass than the 215's - Maximum permissable weight of a Mito (from V5)? 1560kg. How would the car ride with 10% stiffer suspension? The problem is Alfa specify 87/88/89 Load Index tyres for the Mito and it's difficult to get that load index in a 215 - most now are XL/reinforced. I know it's only a minimum value, but if the ride quality is important to you it does make a difference. In the Handbook on 17" rims it says 205/45R17 88W XL or 215/45R17 87W. I couldn't get the 215's in that spec (Even though Alfa fit 215/45R17 91Y XL's which are readily available!!).

·
Administrator
87,045 Posts
A quick lesson on diff between "215"s and "205's" wouldn't go astray. Things I've been too embarrassed to ask :)
Actually it would, I've been explaining that 45 / 50 etc is a % not a measurement for years to others on here :thumbs:

Larger profile as in higher side wall ;)

·
Administrator
87,045 Posts
In the Handbook on 17" rims it says 205/45R17 88W XL or 215/45R17 87W. I couldn't get the 215's in that spec

Did you look online ? Not Pirelli I know ( had a quick look & only saw the 91Y XL ones ) but these Bridgestone Potenza RE050A are an excellent tyre & one of the options fitted to the Giulietta in 17" & 18"
( RE050 are the directional version & were an OEM tyre for the 147 in 17" )

Details: Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A 215/45 R17 87W LZ - eiretyres.com

Details: Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 215/45 R17 87W EZ - eiretyres.com

BRIDGESTONE TYRES / CAR / BRIDGESTONE RE050 POTENZA BRIDGESTONE RE 050 - 215/45R17 87W TL Alfa Romeo 147 & 156 Coupe £108.90 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 17" R17" - 215/45/17, 215/45 R 17

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Hmmm..... Did you notice that the first are specifically designed for Lexus and the second for Audi?? Not that it matters I suppose, but Bridgestones are notoriously hard tyres....and some of the heaviest. When I had my 159's I swapped from Bridgestone to Pirelli and that definitely improved the ride quality, both on 17" and 18", so I think that might make the ride worse?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts