Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 0.9 twinair mito which I got about 6 months ago. Since it started to get colder a few months ago I started to have problems with it starting. Sometimes it turns over slightly making a sort of coughing noise (don’t know how else to explain it:ROFLMAO:) and other times when I turn the key it literally makes no noise at all. All the lights come on on the dashboard as well as the radio. I have since replaced my battery and starter motor, having no luck with either in fixing the problem. It was serviced last week and had new spark plugs etc. I suggested my alternator but the garage said that my alternator is fine. I am replacing my ignition switch next week as another way of trying to solve the problem but don’t know if this will work?? Does anyone have any suggestions on what else it could be as its getting really tiring paying to fit all these new things without anything actually fixing the problem?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check the engine earth strap.

Do you have any jump leads?

Next time it plays up connect one lead to the negative terminal on the battery and the other end to a chunky metal bolt or bracket on the engine.

If it then starts fine you know you have a problem with the engine earth strap. Copper wire work hardens with movement so over time engine vibrations can damage the wire and increase resistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the engine earth strap.

Do you have any jump leads?

Next time it plays up connect one lead to the negative terminal on the battery and the other end to a chunky metal bolt or bracket on the engine.

If it then starts fine you know you have a problem with the engine earth strap. Copper wire work hardens with movement so over time engine vibrations can damage the wire and increase resistance.
Thank you!! I’ll give this a go?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts