Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought my first Alfa (MiTo Quadrifoglio) and I love it in every way, apart from the incessant squeaking noise the windows make when being wound down or up.

Has anyone had this problem before and how can I make it stop?!

I've read that putting silicon spray or Vaseline down the channels at the side can help but because my doors are without pillars, there isn't a way of doing this on the outside.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've just bought my first Alfa (MiTo Quadrifoglio) and I love it in every way, apart from the incessant squeaking noise the windows make when being wound down or up.

Has anyone had this problem before and how can I make it stop?!

I've read that putting silicon spray or Vaseline down the channels at the side can help but because my doors are without pillars, there isn't a way of doing this on the outside.
Hi and welcome to AO. The window channels that you have read about are down inside the doors. You have to remove the door trim completely from the door to stand a chance of feeling where to spray the silicone spray. The longest tube going helps enormously, and then it needs bending into a U shape! Search on here for Squeeling windows. Allow 1 - 2 hours for first timer.
Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try to throw a lot of water to the windows first. You dont have to wash the car properly. Just pour plenty of water on the windows. Dust & mud tends to accumulate inside the mechanism and makes them noisy when the weather gets dry during spring/summer. I used to have that problem on spring. The last 2-3 years it never happened again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. I'll try the water method first and if that doesn't fix it I'll attempt to use some lubricant ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have literally just finished doing this for the drivers side on my Mito QV, really easy job, give it a go!

My window was screeching like crazy, it would turn peoples heads when driving by.

Used a PTFE lube (gt85 'cos it smells nice) but squirting it down the sides wont make any difference as there's nothing there to lube, first i tried lube on the runners but when i connected the switch to move the glass to work it in it was still noisy, turned out to be the "wheels" that were causing it.

If you look at this pic you can see the part i mean, its the white plastic circles with the cables going into it, And i did lose a straw from my oil can trying to get to it.
http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/51983415-4974-1-800.jpg
it was the one down by the speaker on my door that was causing the problems.

And it's now silent, no longer sounds like a dying bagpipe!

Door panels come off and go on easy.

If you peel the foam membrane back carefully it will still be sticky enough to not need gluing back on.

Use a plastic bicycle tyre lever to pop one clip off then you can use your fingers for the rest, I went side, bottom, side then lifted it off from the window.

Took over an hour for me but i live on a narrow street and was constantly closing the door to let people by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts