Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago while washing the wifes Mito (2009) I noticed the paint was bubbling around the boot badge. I took the car to my local dealership and they took photos of it and sent it of to Alfa. A week or so later I got a call from the dealer telling me that Alfa would be prepared only to give me a goodwill gesture towards the repainting of the boot lid because of other previous problems I had had with the paintwork, ie horrendous stone chipping on the bonnet and rear arches (they only repainted the arches and stated the bonnets hundreds of stone chips were classed as fair wear and tear despite only having around 16000 mile on it). Alfa's reason for only giving a goodwill gesture was that the perforation warranty was exactly that and unless the rust had perforated right through the body work leaving a hole then it wasn't covered!!! So, cost to paint the boot lid was £256 and Alfa contributed £150 leaving me £106 out of pocket on a 4 year old car due to rust, this combined with, suspension top mounts failing, door handle mechanism failing, electric window motor and bits of trim falling of, all in the first 2 years, guess who has bought there last Alfa!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
ignoring the corrosion warranty, I would have thought that the paint warranty would have covered it as it must be due to some sort of factory fault. Maybe the paint was chipped when fitting the badge assembly.
Alfa are struggling with only 2 models, so you would think they would try really hard to retain the small number customers that they have, but I guess it all comes down to money.
I have read ( thread somewhere on this forum ) that there are rumours that the Mito and Guilietta will not be replaced and that Alfa in future will only make rear wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
33,217 Posts
If only Alfa were prepared to lose 500 euros a car like PSA . Then they could spend it on avoiding these issues!
Seriously though, looking at the Mito it has the door lower edges pretty flush with the body and apparently none of the stone chip protection "edges" found on other cars. I'm assuming for some reason the mito in question is the Alfa red prior to its rework for the Giulietta . It's not good for the owner or the reputation of Alfa when people see rust on such a new car.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Alfa are really living up to their reputation warranty wise :(.

I'm still waiting for my court date with regards to the Alfa red stone chipping. It was laughable really - they said they got an external company to do a report, but they wouldn't let me either watch (not insured, apparently) or see the report - meaning I had to take their word for it!

Rather oddly, they haven't responded to any of the court stuff I've sent to them - wondering if they'll bother showing up at all.

·
Registered
33,217 Posts
I've never had a problem with warranty issues , once I gave up trying to use the dealer I where I bought my Giulietta new. Even down to new headlamps due to lens discolouration around the internal vents and a new tailgate badge. However we had to wait for the launch of AlfaRed until it had been reformulated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts