Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to all this and looking for advice.
I have a 2014 Alfa Mito 1.4 TB MultiAir SS 135 EU5 Distinctive and I need to replace the oil.
The manufacturer's book tells me it has to be Petronas selinia but I'm struggling getting hold of it. Any good places to buy from or alternatives that won't mess up my engine?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
As long as it matches the grade and the spec precisely...then you are good to go. Alfa have a tie in with Selina products....so they always push that brand in the handbooks.....does not mean other big name brands are inferior though....or even lesser smaller brands if they meet spec.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, for multiair engines you go with Motul Xclean 5w40, Bardhal Technos C60, Castrol Magnetic or Selenia PE, oil must be C3. Bardhal is far best oil you can put in your engine and most expensive, but you can feel the difference

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Use this site to get the correct oil for your car. The Multiair unit requires the engine oil to also have hydraulic oil properties too, look up how it works and you'll see why. The unit also has a special filter that fits into the side of the head as well as the ordinary oil filter. See Alfa Workshop site for a 'how to' they do a lot of very useful guides.

See 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th photos from the bottom for micro filter. You can ignore the rest!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hi, for multiair engines you go with Motul Xclean 5w40, Bardhal Technos C60, Castrol Magnetic or Selenia PE, oil must be C3. Bardhal is far best oil you can put in your engine and most expensive, but you can feel the difference
Not if you have a MiTo with a Euro 6 Multiair engine for which the right oil is 0W30. The change came in in about mid-2014.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are there any facts or evidence to show that there is any physical differences between euro 5 and 6 multiair engines?

I have strong suspicions that that change in to the thinner oil is purely for efficiency / emissions reasons rather than the protective properties or differences in the engines themselves.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have strong suspicions that that change in to the thinner oil is purely for efficiency / emissions reasons rather than the protective properties or differences in the engines themselves.
You may well be right, but I use the oil grade which the owner's manual mandates for my engine. With all the stories of the multi air unit failures being down to failure to replace the oil regularly with the right type, to do otherwise is foolish I suggest.

Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts