Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

With the recent cold spell, the rear washer stopped working.

On inspection washer fluid was spilling on the floor.

The local stealer indicated that it was "probably not covered by warranty" and could cost £42 to fix!

On further inspection i found that a tube had popped off, the tube is located under the wiper area / windscreen cover.

Couple of screws need removed to get enough access as you dont need to remove the whole panel. (on passenger side)

Pic attached shows the detached tube.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
This has happened to mine, have you got a wider photo to show exactly where this is relative to the battery?

N

·
0 Posts
The local stealer indicated that it was "probably not covered by warranty" and could cost £42 to fix!
Ahh, those lovely Alfa.uk dealers at it again. :rolleyes:

Rear washer tube popped off twice on the Brera.
Appeared like it needed access through the wheel-arch.
Dealer fixed with no issue or payment involved.

S

·
0 Posts
Just fixed mine. Thanks for the photo. That saved me a lot of time. Fixed in less than 5 mins :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem also, I took it to the local Western Alfa garage and they fixed it within 10mins! The problem with this fault apparently occurs when the connector from tube to tube freezes and the pressure pops the connection off! However in some instances this falls off completely and Alfa apparently are overdue orders on this part some people may just have to wait.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just bumping this with a longer explanation.

Firstly, to check if it has indeed disconnected itself in the easy-to-get-to place:
Lift the bonnet and have someone watch behind the battery while you activate the rear washer jet, if they can see running water coming out of a drainage pipe behind the battery (the passenger side version of the one that's causing the alternator belt freezing problem) then the connector has popped off at the front of the car.
Yours may look different to the pipe pictured, as mine has had the drainage pipes swapped over, but it'll be in the same place.

IMG_WaterLocation.jpg

On the plastic panel that runs under the windscreen there's a grill on the passenger side that's usually mostly covered by the bonnet, the pipe is under that grill and it's easy to get at.

There's a foam block near the grill with a black plastic circle on top of it which is a popper, pull that popper up and out.
Next to the foam block is a foam strip, follow along the strip towards the middle of the car and you'll find the first screw to undo.

IMG_Stage1.jpg

Pull the foam block toward the front of the car to reveal the second screw that needs to be undone.
Pull the foam strip forward until you're about half way across the car and you'll be able to see where the plastic panel meets the metal bodywork. You might be able to get into this gap now but you can make life much easier by undoing another clip.

There's a plastic clip on the passenger side of the plastic panel which holds a pipe and stops you lifting the plastic panel very far, it's clipped onto a metal piece that's attached to the plastic panel. You'll need to lift the top of it and then pull the bottom of it down (or vice versa) to get it to release.

IMG_Stage2.jpg

You can now lift the plastic panel on the passenger side and get at the area under the grill where you'll find a bundle of wires strapped together - there'll also be a narrow ribbed pipe with a nozzle piece on the end and another piece of the same pipe with a flat end that need pushing back together. The rear washer jet should now work again (provided it's not still frozen, in which case it'll probably pop off again).

The plastic panel will probably have slipped out from under the windscreen on the passenger side, you'll need to make sure it slots back into place before putting everything else back.
Reattach the plastic clip, put the two screws back in, push the foam pieces back into place, push the plastic popper back into its hole and you're done.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Mines happend twice now, both times they have done it under warrenty....

Im not paying for poor design, I work on the basis of you either fix it or I will withhold the monthly payment, and let the finance company screw....

It works very well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't think it's worth taking a car in for this. If it was going in anyway then yeah - but losing the car for most of a day, if not more, for the sake of lifting a panel doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I don't think it's worth taking a car in for this. If it was going in anyway then yeah - but losing the car for most of a day, if not more, for the sake of lifting a panel doesn't make any sense to me.
Does to me...As mine has now been modified so it wont happen again...

·
Registered
525 Posts
DazJW - brilliant post mate, thanks very much for taking the time to explain that so well. Much appreciated :thumbs:

mrobins, I agree with what you say, but some people would prefer to fix these little issue themselves. EG: My dealer is a 100 mile round trip, so to me this post is very useful. Each to his/her own, yes?

Peace and love.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem but with the pipe on the bottom of the washer bottle. Thought the bottle was empty but when I filled it washer fluid was pouring out the bottom of the bottle. First thought was that the cold weather had burst the washer bottle but after parking the car on a pavement so I could get underneath the bumper could see that the washer pipe had disconnected - phew - had visions of an expensive trip to the dealer.

So it seems to be a problem with the washer hoses in general not just the rear.

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
Thanks to this very helpful post my rear wash now washes again. I am though having right old bother with my drivers side front jet even though they are heated the drivers one seems to only half defrost. today I popped the under bonnet liner off then warmed all the pipes with a hot air gun I am using 100% wash fluid but it's driving me mad never had this much pipe freezing on a car before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks to this very helpful post my rear wash now washes again. I am though having right old bother with my drivers side front jet even though they are heated the drivers one seems to only half defrost. today I popped the under bonnet liner off then warmed all the pipes with a hot air gun I am using 100% wash fluid but it's driving me mad never had this much pipe freezing on a car before

It's not just Mito's. Last sunday at Leigh Delamere services on the M4 loads of people
were induced to buy fresh screenwash due to the freezing conditions :rolleyes:

I saw another Alfa red Mito heading west :)

Not yet convinced that A mode is a great benefit, though I'm on Bridgestones
which are reputedly fairly pants in snow :confused:

I'm off to the Lake District in a couple of days which may be a proper test :eek:

Merry Christmas to all Alfisti :D

Chris

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
not being funny but that is covered by warranty- are they trying to rip u off or something?
I just have not had chance to go in and see the dealer as its a few miles from me but I will be as soon as I get a chance and will be asking for them to look at the lagging and replace the heated jet

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine was fixed free by my local dealer, they filled it up with screenwash too.

But now the blasted pipe has blown off again even though I tried not to use the rear wash until it had been well above zero for a couple of days. This is getting very silly and really annoying. It hasn't happened before on any other car I owned and obviously a pipe connector is too loose.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for those pics/info regarding rear washer. Mine had been in to dealers and was fixed? temp only, 2 days later it was off again. Had a look today and noticed it had a plastic pull tie[so as to grip pipe], but pipe still not connected! Tried to re'connect but no good kept popping off.:mad:
Now booked in for New Year, wished i had gone for the winter washer option now. At least i had a go.

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
I have the what they did call heated front screen and jets and while the heated bit of screen where the blades park works fine the heated jets were next to rubbish especially the drivers one, I feel mine needs a heated bottle and some much better pipe lagging or better still heated pipes

1 - 20 of 39 Posts