Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening guys

Today my QV couldn't start. Everything else is working fine (central lockout, radio, display, buttons). I guess it is not the battery that is the problem. I've tried with jump cables from another car and it did not work either.

When I turn the ignition I can hear some clicking - maybe just 2 or 3 clicks.

Any suggestions? :)

Regards,
Jonas

·
Registered
296 Posts
As I understand it, the starter does not turn the engine at all ?
You just get some clicks, when the key is turned to the position, where the starter motor should turn the engine ?

My guess is a dead starter. You should be able to push start it if it's just the starter that fails

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Give the battery a proper inspection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I understand it, the starter does not turn the engine at all ?
You just get some clicks, when the key is turned to the position, where the starter motor should turn the engine ?

My guess is a dead starter. You should be able to push start it if it's just the starter that fails
Yes, exactly as you describe it.

I live in the centre of Copenhagen and my car is parked next to Nørreport Station. It is going to be difficult to push start it, budt I give it a try.

God aften :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Check the mass cable of the ignition, it should be somewhere attached to the chassis. Mine was broken after only 5 years, had exactly the same problems like you.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Check the mass cable of the ignition, it should be somewhere attached to the chassis. Mine was broken after only 5 years, had exactly the same problems like you.
The gearbox earth strap?

Check this too, almost forgot my sisters punto had exactly the same problem and this cable had gone brittle and crumbled into nothing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not yet, unfortunately :) I'm in Portugal for the holidays with the missus and all I'm thinking about is my real love back home in Denmark ;)

But I'll look into it when I get back home and let you know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. As ransoman and JnL mentioned above it was the earth strap going fra the battery to the gearbox. Where it was attached to the gearbox the cable was corroded. I could actually pull it off the bracket using almost no force. Instead of buying a new one I fitted the old earth cable to the old bracket.

Again; thanks for all the helpful replies! :)

Regards,
Jonas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts