Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been to my local Alfa dealer today fit a test drive in the new mito QV TCT. Amazing gearbox and engine. I really can't believe the poor reviews the motoring press give the car. We are looking at ordering one when we get a good deal from someone. I've been offered £267 for my 156! Got to be joking. It's only got 36500 miles on it and in great nic. Let me know if you've found any good deals please

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Driven in isolation the MiTo is a good car but if you drive it back to back with its competitors you'll realise its not quite there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's raw fun, which dynamics gave no score against. I've driven my friends Audi A1 1.4 TSI DSG and it's no where near as much fun as QV. I owned numerous Renaultsports and recently Brera prodrive S. Brakes have the feel of my old prodrive, which is a huge complement.

·
Registered
36,829 Posts
That's the cliche response. What I'm saying is that many of the qualities you mention are about the rawness or lack of development. I drove an Abarth GrandePunto , which is related to the Mito QV , and without the visual appeal of the Mito it felt like a car that had done tens of thousands of miles. Don't get a Golf!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Someone takes a new Mito QV TCT for a drive and says he enjoys it and then basically gets told he only liked it because he doesn't know any better? Very odd!

I've not driven a new Mito QV TCT so have no idea what they're like from experience, but great to hear you enjoyed it WADEY :).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I get your argument now and realise you aren't trolling the thread.
I do really like the rawness of a classic hot hatch, so that's probably why I liked it so much. I don't want every bump ironed out and I can counter the handling deficit using techniques I enjoy when driving on quiet back roads. Give me a challenge any day. But, I do get your argument.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What cars have you driven in the last year besides your Mito?

It is likeable by the heart but you can't help listening to your head when it comes to dynamics and interior harmony of materials,finish and forms.

Fiesta ST
Golf
Polo
M 135i
VW transporter
Focus
DB9 (track day)
911 turbo (track day)
Black taxi :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Driven in isolation the MiTo is a good car but if you drive it back to back with its competitors you'll realise its not quite there.
I'm not knocking your opinion, but here is a list of cars I've owned to compare it to:

Alfa Brera S prodrive
Toyota MR2 turbo
BMW 740i
Renaultsport Clio 172
Ford Focus mk3
VW Golf GT
Lancia Delta Integrale 16v
And 4 Alfa 156! Got to love a 156!!

·
Registered
36,829 Posts
Someone takes a new Mito QV TCT for a drive and says he enjoys it and then basically gets told he only liked it because he doesn't know any better? Very odd!

I've not driven a new Mito QV TCT so have no idea what they're like from experience, but great to hear you enjoyed it WADEY :).
Pretty good summary. I just needs to feel right; the theory may be fine but in practice .....

I drove a Kia Proceed back to back with the equivalent Focus. The Kia had a certain showroom appeal if you like that sort of appeal but didn't feel good compared to the Focus.

·
Registered
344 Posts
From my time on Lotus forums - over the years I've seen quite a few Lotus owners switch to the world of Porsche, find them very technically accomplished, quicker (model dependent, of course), but often dull and not engaging (and often return to the Lotus fold). Not all though, some like the refinement from the Porsches and have stayed with 'em :). Different people have different tastes!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Been to my local Alfa dealer today fit a test drive in the new mito QV TCT. Amazing gearbox and engine. I really can't believe the poor reviews the motoring press give the car. We are looking at ordering one when we get a good deal from someone. I've been offered £267 for my 156! Got to be joking. It's only got 36500 miles on it and in great nic. Let me know if you've found any good deals please
I'd sell the 156 privately - sounds far too good to be p/x'd for a paltry sum like you've been offered.

With regards to the MiTo, i've not driven a QV but have owned my Distinctive JTDm for over 2 years now & had a go in a MiTo TwinAir Live and MiTo MultiAir 140 TCT Distinctive. I do enjoy driving it and the engines and gearboxes (except the 6 speed M32 box) are good, but when i get in other cars i do realise the MiTo is nowhere near top of the game, particularly for ride & refinement. The ride might be better on the QV because of the adaptive dampers, but mine is on the standard suspension & the ride's pretty awful to be honest. I can't fault the brakes, gearbox, running costs or reliability/build quality, but the ride's harsh, there's too much road noise on most UK roads & whilst the interior is solidly screwed together (and I'm not obsessed with soft touch dashboards), the door cards and lower dash area use very cheap-feeling/looking plastic.

As people have said, driven in isolation it's fine and if you like how it drives then I'm sure you'll love it, but Alfa should've developed it and not left it to languish like they have. Unlike many reviews of Italian cars where i shout at the 3 stars out of 5 result, i really can't argue in the case of the MiTo. It does some things really well, but a few things pretty badly.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I wouldn't listen to Que. He you'll try and convince you that his car is the only car on the market worth having, and that your a fool if you even consider another car.

You are clearly a well seasoned driver, if you like a car you like a car, you are entitled to make up your own mind.

A few good points were made though, the earlier models without the koni or QV with the adaptive had terrible rides. Won't be a problem in QV.

A suggestion would be to test driver the new abarth 500 too. I drove one recently and loved it. It's either one of those or m140 for me next.

Check car wow for a deal,
https://www.carwow.co.uk/#make-model-menu

·
Registered
36,829 Posts
Thanks Towney. If you look at what I've written I haven't mentioned my car at all. It is not the size of car he's looking at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a Mito QV and its a great little car, we also have an old 1999 Audi S4 B5, yes a real one and as it came out of the factory not messed with in anyway. I know the Mito is not as fast or as well put together, but its a hell of a lot more fun, the Audi is a great bit of kit, but the Mito is a fun bit of kit.

·
Registered
36,829 Posts
I had a succession of new Audis and they were pretty inert and when I test drove a new 147 Ducati Corse the feeling made me trade the Audi in ASAP.
The Audis are evolutionary and they take years to fine tune the perceived quality of the visible bits. The guy who designed the Mito interior at Bertone described to me how the Mito was the complete opposite. No chance to hone it just get the thing on the market.This spontaneity gives a different feeling of fun!

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
If you like the car then go ahead and buy it, other people are always going to have different opinions.

I can say that the Fiesta ST is a cracking car as well though (My dad has one)

Stick a for sale advert on here for your 156, I am sure someone will be interested. Other than that there is always ebay.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts