Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while ago i had to take off my steering wheel and replace the clock spring which was broken. After replacing it the car started feeling a bit awkward steering to the right while driving. At first i thought it was because of the overused tires but after replacing them with brand new pirelli i am pretty sure something other is wrong. The steering wheel seems like it wants to go right all the time and i have to force it to the center when driving.

I read somewhere that after taking of the wheel you must reset-calibrate the steering angle sensor (which obviously wasn't done when the clock spring was replaced). Could that be the problem?

thanx

·
Registered
975 Posts
It sounds as if you would need to reset the steering angle sensor.

What I believe is happening is this, the steering angle sensor is out of alignment so when your steering wheel is straight, the steering angle sensor thinks the wheels are turned to the left, so it tries to correct this by steering the wheels to the right via the electronic power steering.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Yes, it should have been recalibrated around the dead ahead as the car has electric power assisted steering.

The workshop probably wasn't aware of this, more used to hydraulic PAS, which doesn't show up if not calibrated as it only uses it for the ESP.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nothing to do with electric steering torque postion angle sensor. You would only have to reset that if you change the electric steering system. all I can think of is you have some how forced the steering wheel on out of line. However it should only fit on one way.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Nothing to do with electric steering torque postion angle sensor. You would only have to reset that if you change the electric steering system.
that's on the column, the clock spring is behind the steering wheel.

If the wheel is on squint, the car won't pull, it just won't be pointing straight when the car is dead ahead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bit confused from your replies:) so what do you think might be the problem? I ame currently located in greece and most workshops and dealerships haven't work with many cars like this! (my qv was the first turbo one seen by the official alfa romeo service in my area..)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i remember that i had to take it back to the workshop because it was fitted wrong and not in the center. could that be the source of all my problems? The official alfa romeo service suggested to repair the angle sensor for 300 euros which "might" fix the problem..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts