Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just started up my sons Mito after 4 weeks sitting as he is away at the moment. Cabin filled up with smoke almost immediately, on inspection after opening the bonnet the fan belt started to crackle and then snapped!

Can anyone advise if this is an easy repair, as I can't seem to see where to release tension on the alternator to enable replacement. I would be grateful if anyone can advise,

Thx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone please help!!

All I need to know is what I loosen or as ever will have to pay alfa further money with all that's went wrong with his car, from suspension probs, to seized callipers etc

Anyone help please;)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
There will be a tensioner somewhere that you just pull back and put belt on then release the tensioner.

You haven't said what engine you have so can't offer much more help than that..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for replying the engine is a 1.4 95bhp veloce, I can't seem to see any way the alternator can be released to enable the new belt to be replaced.

I seen on ebay a small pully wheel which refers to this as a tensioner, possibly require to remove and re attach once the new belt is in situ, although its only a guess.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
In the centre of the tensioner pulley there will be a bolt turn this, can't remember if its anti-clockwise or clockwise but you will know because it will turn one way and not the other. Keep it pulled all the way and put belt on then release the tensioner and this keeps belt in place there is nothing you need to take off to put belt on.

View attachment 182273

Should look something like picture.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Petrol MiTo's did have a problem not long after launch where the alternator belts would freeze up in cold weather and snap, causing (in some cases) the cabin to fill with smoke.

Obviously it's not gonna freeze in our current weather, but if the relevant modification hasn't been carried out then it's possible the alternator or something may have been damaged by water/ice, causing the belt to fail now.

Have a read here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito/201767-beware-mito-owners-freezing-weather-causing-belt-failures.html and see if your sons car could be affected. If it's beyond 59 plate then it's highly likely this won't apply as cars leaving the factory from early 2010 were modified.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx very much for the diagram and the help! I assume the part no SGR55301 is the alternator (not being mechanically minded). The wheel on this does not move! All other wheels move freely, so I'm assuming that this has seized, if so does the whole unit need replaced?

I thank you again for your help, the car has only done 22k in an 09 plate and I think the amount of probs is unacceptable! With a low mileage car!!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
That's not the part number just where to look in Eper to find it and yes that's the alternator if that's not turning then its seized will require new alternator.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for your help! I'm going to try and free it using a pipe wrench and some lubricant, which was a solution for another person who managed to free theirs! Apparently because it has sat for 4 weeks without being used the wheel has seized against the unit, failing that, yes your right a new alternator!

Will let you know if successful in case anyone else has the same problem, which I'm sure they will at some point!! Cheers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Due to the location of the pulley wheel it was difficult to access with a pipe wrench, for full removal of the pulley would I need a removal tool? Anyone know the size if required. As I'm confident that removing the pulley and a clean up will sort the problem! As there was no issue prior to the car sitting for an extended period of time.

I appreciate your ongoing advice with this!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Don't quote me but I would surmise that it would be better to remove the alternator and do it that way. Not sure what you would need to remove pulley never took one off yet only changed alternators. If its the same as most alt pulleys, clutch type pully then it will need a splined tool to hold with a torx bit goes through to the alt.

Sorry not much help but I would still say remove alternator is your best shot.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The wheel on this does not move! All other wheels move freely, so I'm assuming that this has seized, if so does the whole unit need replaced?

I thank you again for your help, the car has only done 22k in an 09 plate and I think the amount of probs is unacceptable! With a low mileage car!!
U say the car has been sitting for months?! Assuming its been left outside unprotected from the elements. Just like what happens when u leave a car in the rain for a week the brakes seiz on.
The alternator has done the same. This is due to a know problem which has now been modified on newer cars.
Basiclly where the Rain runs off the windscreen on to the scuttle panel there are two pipes which allows the water to drain off the panel on to the floor/road one of these pipes is directed straight on top of the alternator this part has now been modified (to a 'S' shape) to avoid it running on alternator and seizing it in cold conditions. You can get this pipe from you local alfa dealer. you will also need a new compelte alternator and auxilary belt. Hope this helps

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone who has helped me with this, I am going to attempt to take the pulley off insitu as I think this would be the best initial option! Been quoted £136 for a replacement alternator, not sure if this is competitive, although I'm sure considerably cheaper than alfa though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts