Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Mito or Giulietta?

Tags
giulietta
37K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  Alfitoo 
#1 ·
I've got that new car bug again - endless hours of agonising when and what to buy :)

Here's my dilemma - I like both the mito and the giulietta but probably leaning towards the giulietta. I could afford to go for a mito now but would have to wait until about May 2011 for the giulietta. :cry:

My only gripe about the Mito is the reports of a poor ride, plus will the boot take my golf clubs?

Is it worth waiting for the giulietta?

Now I've just read that both can come with the TCT option - aagh! I think my head is going to explode. :eek:

Wonder if the doc can give me valium?

Cheers,

JMG

#3 ·
Hi Richard,

My thoughts at the moment are:

giulietta - lusso 120TB plus heated seats and parking sensors
mito - lusso 135TCT plus heated seats and parking sensors

With my trade in plus cash I can get the mito for around £185 on a pcp, the giulietta is coming out at £289

TBH We don't really need a family sized car any more, but I'm still reluctant to go down to a smaller one - but I do prefer the rear of the mito compared to the giulietta!

#9 ·
I've put my name down for a test drive with Western Alfa Glasgow but they haven't got back to me yet - but TBH I was only looking at the giulietta at the time and did say it wouldn't be until early next year before I was looking to buy. That was before I came back to the forums and started reading the positive threads on the Mito - your right, time for a phone call :)

#5 ·
The MiTo isn't much smaller than the 147 in all honesty.. We measured my MiTo up to our 156 and its ~ the same length, width and is taller.. Deceptive, yes! :) and I reckon you'd find the 135 tct mito to be a much more enjoyable and fun drive than the 120 Giulietta - have you test driven either or both yet? If not, try and do so and see the difference for yourself :)

#16 ·
Coming from a 156 i don't notice much difference in the internal size, perhaps a bit less room in the back but the 156 was hardly class leading in that department. The Mito is big for a supermini. (hmm bit of an oxymoron that :rolleyes:) As for golf clubs. I can put two large suitcases in the boot with a little room to spare. Width may get you but the boot is deep. The 135 is a cracking engine, it accelerated faster than the 1.8 tspark and the ride is pretty good over the vast majority of road surfaces. As others have said drive both, either way you will be a winner.

#6 ·
will the boot take my golf clubs?
Most of 'em. I have a medium sized golf bag which fits comfortably in the boot with the irons in it. But have to take out the longer woods and put them in the foot well of the rear seats. Which is less fuss than lowering the rear seats, when it would all fit in comfortably.

Take your kit along to the dealers and try it out. That's what I did with an oversize cricket bag. It fitted, I bought one. :thumbs:

I have been extremely impressed with this car after 1 year and 9.5K.

#10 ·
Have to say I didn't notice much appreciable improvement in quality when I sat in the Giulietta and thought the layout of the Mito was much more aesthetically pleasing but that's each to their own on that one.

My impressions of the 135 after driving for a few days over the cruddy Cardiff roads is that the ride is far better then I thought it was going to be from reading reviews. It is firm but never jarring so very impressed, not driven the Giulietta to be able to compare.

If you don't need the space (other than for golf clubs) then the extra expense of the Giulietta seems wasteful to me, plus you get to drive a new car now rather than next year!

Peter

#11 ·
I've got that new car bug again - endless hours of agonising when and what to buy :)
I know what you mean... I can't begin to think how many hours I spent looking for the perfect car.. I guess it's a good investment of your time though in terms of what value you get for your money :lol:
I would be scrutinising every specification like the weight of the car, obviously the performance and insurance groups, etc.. In the end you're left with 2 or 3 choices which are all so good you can't decide which one to get, so once you've narrowed it down you follow your heart and chose which one appeals to you most :)

#13 ·
I have just gone from the comfort of a volvo v50 to a mito 1.6Diesel lusso. Yes the rides abit firm and the handling is "different" but i really enjoy it. Hundreds of miles away for the weekend and still comfortable, boot space was more than adequate for 2 for a long weekend.
I was worried about reliability, but i can honestly say this is the first new car i have ever bought which i haven't taken back to the garage for warranty work in the first few weeks. (had it 5 wk now and nothing is wrong).
Overall very pleased with the mito.
rob

#15 ·
Definitely, that's what I was gonna say. +1 :thumbs:

You'll get a harder ride in a MiTo with larger wheels (17"-18"), but TBH it's just fine with the standard 16"s. Giulietta is a different car entirely, it depends up one your needs and wants but all I know is you won't be disappointed with a MiTo (plus you'll get it sooner!) :D

G
#17 ·
....My only gripe about the Mito is the reports of a poor ride, plus will the boot take my golf clubs?
Best way to know is a test drive both. Worth while considering that the CL Mito is meant to have a better ride thanks to the different suspension.

The Giulietta is probably easier to live with over longer journeys though.

But this all depends on how much you want to spend. I'd imagine a Lusso/Veloce 135 TCT Mito to be a very good car. To my mind I'd have to spend around the £20k mark to get the Giulietta I wanted.

#20 ·
iv had booth and the only difference is size. both are fantastic.is size important to you....bigger is not always better, as i tell the misses, the mito is just much more cheeky. a real "up yours" to every thing else. get a red qv. i did. you wont regret it. just give up golf.....and stick to the 19th....

#22 ·
I own a Mito but in my opinion the Giulietta is a better car. New chassis, multilink rear suspension, generally a bigger car. It all depends on what you need. Bigger or smaller. The Giulietta is more expensive. However I think it is more composed as a car and will definitely handle better. And furthermore the Giulietta can cover any future (or present) needs you might have (eg if you have children or you are thinking of having). The way the cars are styled in the interior is indicative as to what target group each car refers to. The Mito is more sporty inside and the Giulietta is more serious. The Giulietta is the car that someone who is above 30-32 is going to buy. The Mito is the car for all ages, but usually is bought by people that are either in the age 27-30 (it is not the cheapest car). Both cars are gorgeous. As I see it there is only one way to decide. Go to a dealer and see both cars side by side. Drive both of them and then get the one that clicks more. But in the end buy the car that makes you want to take it out for a drive and when you get back you will want to drive it some more. Buy the car that you will want to park it outside your house just to look at it. Buy the car that you want to look out of the window in the morning when you wake up and see parked outside your house.

#23 ·
I must say I've been baffled by the 'harsh ride' comments aimed at the MITO since I've owned one. It's a small sporty hatch-back. Do not expect Jaguar levels of comfort, because you're not going to get it. But the ride is certainly not what I'd call 'harsh'. The MITO can experience quite a bit of road noise (depending on the road surface) but that's the only thing I have a gripe about.

The MITO Cloverleaf does have a better ride, but the 'standard' MITO isn't poor either.

Also, the MITO and Giulietta are two different kinds of cars aimed at two different consumers. If you need four doors and a bit more practicality then I'd go for the Giulietta. The MITO is better looking though.

#26 ·
The MITO Cloverleaf does have a better ride, but the 'standard' MITO isn't poor either.
Got to say, i don't agree with this. :tut:

The mito, certainly does not have a very good ride quality, IMHO. Maybe it's the poor roads where i live, but my mito crashes about all over the place. I've read quite a few comments that agree in various reviews. :thumbs:

#24 · (Edited)
IMHO - Gulietta's bum looks abit nasty. The Car inside is much better than the MITO, but i do feel that alot of the optional extras for a guiletta are not proportional in terms of cost to the mito (basically its a rippp off)..if you look at the cost to have leather seats you will faint. Whereas, on a mito - its not too bad.

Alsoooo, the ride is not that soft on the Mito - but who gives a monkies!!! If i wanted comfort and safety id buy a volvo!

Anyway id suggest you drive a Guiletta, i just cant imagine somebody pull up in a sexy Mito. Step out in some grampa uniform and pull a bunch of golfclubs out the back..

#28 ·
MiTo's too small, Giulietta is a 5-door.
So sadly neither are up to snuff for me. :(

Now a 3-door Giulietta.......
Same thoughts here but unfortunately I don't see them making a 3Dr or Coupe version of the Giulietta in the next year or two :cry:

And no the Mito is not the answer for everyone who wants a 3Dr Alfa :HEADBANG:
I don't want a saloon so that's the 159 ruled out.
The GT is too old now to consider as an option.

I'll probably end up going for a Giulietta sometime next year, the rear doors are fairly well hidden & at least the glass is all one piece ;) I think the Veloce on 18" 5 hole alloys looks stunning :cool:

G
#30 ·
Got to be the Giulietta...

Owning an Alfa is as much about style, heritage and passion as the technical merits of the car. Giulietta is a classic Alfa whilst Mito is actually a rather silly name for a car.

Think about it this way.

Q. What sounds better.
1. I'm just popping out love, to take the Mito for a spin
2. I'm just popping out love, to take the Giulietta for a spin.

Thought so.

Say Giulietta and everybody instantly thinks Alfa.
Say Mito, and some will think Alfa whilst others might think that it is the cheap & cheerful Nissan based on the Suzki Swift...

I'd therefore go for the Giulietta. Both Alfa's are desireable cars, but the Giulietta name just has a much better pedigree. Mito hasn't quite established itself as an Alfa yet...!

#32 ·
Owning an Alfa is as much about style, heritage and passion as the technical merits of the car. Giulietta is a classic Alfa whilst Mito is actually a rather silly name for a car.

Think about it this way.

Q. What sounds better.
1. I'm just popping out love, to take the Mito for a spin
2. I'm just popping out love, to take the Giulietta for a spin.

Thought so.

Say Giulietta and everybody instantly thinks Alfa.
Say Mito, and some will think Alfa whilst others might think that it is the cheap & cheerful Nissan based on the Suzki Swift...

I'd therefore go for the Giulietta. Both Alfa's are desireable cars, but the Giulietta name just has a much better pedigree. Mito hasn't quite established itself as an Alfa yet...!
I'm trying to work out if you're being comical because none of your comments make much sense.

#33 · (Edited)
Sorry Ali C
i wasn't using another car as a comparison. just stating my opinion. Even the 155tb courtesy car i have at the moment is not any better, so it's not my own car, it's got to be the mito setup. Lets face it a lot of the motoring press agree with me too. Read the reviews yourself, just google alfa mito reviews.

Ali C said
I think the ride quality is fine. Once again I think people expect too much from small cars. I have even been in the new Fiesta and found that ride just the same as the MITOs. Which is to say it wasn't poor, but it wasn't great either

So is the ride quality fine or not great ?

#34 ·
Sorry Ali C
i wasn't using another car as a comparison. just stating my opinion. Even the 155tb courtesy car i have at the moment is not any better, so it's not my own car, it's got to be the mito setup. Lets face it a lot of the motoring press agree with me too. Read the reviews yourself, just google alfa mito reviews.
Maybe you're not aware but the ride quality of the MITO Cloverleaf was much improved with the integration of the adaptive suspension, and the motoring press did indeed acknowledge this improvement. It's not available on any other MITO other than the Cloverleaf.

Saying that though, I couldn't care less what the motoring press say. I think even the standard MITOs have a good ride quality. It's no worse than any other small car I've been in.

#38 ·
You seem to get confused very easily :rolleyes:

I've made my point, and you've made yours. Together we're taking this way off topic, so I'm saying cheerio for now.

I'll end by confirming my point that I think the ride quality of the MITO is good. You think differently, I don't really care. I'm happy with mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.