Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone here had had this problem with their MiTo before. Basically, when I am accelerating and close to changing gear, my car makes a very weird noise, which sounds like a pumping noise but one where there’s a problem with the pump, like it’s pumping air. The car also feels weird when it does this noise, like it might stall. It’s a hard noise to describe!! It doesn’t make the noise all the time but quite regularly. I got my car checked a few months ago and the gearbox replaced under warranty but the noise hasn’t stopped. I am taking it again to the garage for investigation this week but I was wondering if any other MiTo owners had had this problem before?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo whistle?
Well actually, a Couple of months ago my car started making another weird noise, When I drive around it sounds like I have a massive turbo Although I don’t! Could this be linked with the noise re the gear change?

·
Registered
350 Posts
It sounds like something is loose or missing in your intake pipe work.

The standard intake system does a good job of disguising the turbo noises. I fitted a foam air filter specifically to be able to hear them a bit better.

on low boost you’ll get a bit of chatter or fluttering as there’s not enough pressure for the ecu to open the recirculating valve.

when changing gear when giving it some the valve opens and recirculates the air to the intake so you get a bit of a whooshing sound.

there’s a chance the recirculating valve is either not working or has come loose from the turbo, but both of those are less likely than something like the main intake hose slipping off the air box. The pipe is fairly rigid plastic so doesn’t flex very much with normal engine movement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like something is loose or missing in your intake pipe work.

The standard intake system does a good job of disguising the turbo noises. I fitted a foam air filter specifically to be able to hear them a bit better.

on low boost you’ll get a bit of chatter or fluttering as there’s not enough pressure for the ecu to open the recirculating valve.

when changing gear when giving it some the valve opens and recirculates the air to the intake so you get a bit of a whooshing sound.

there’s a chance the recirculating valve is either not working or has come loose from the turbo, but both of those are less likely than something like the main intake hose slipping off the air box. The pipe is fairly rigid plastic so doesn’t flex very much with normal engine movement.
Okay thank you for this!!
I will mention this to the garage and see if they can double check that then!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Slightly offtopic but consistently changing gears at 2k (or even below it) is straining that engine. You should give it at least some 2.5k especially when going uphill or under heavier acceleration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slightly offtopic but consistently changing gears at 2k (or even below it) is straining that engine. You should give it at least some 2.5k especially when going uphill or under heavier acceleration.
okay thank you! I do tend to push it to 2.5 Anyways but if the noise is too loud I do tend to just change gear! But thank you for the advice and I will follow it! :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
what engine are we talking about anyway? Long shot here, but not every mito has a turbo (mine doesnt :p)

And yeah, if there is lots of noise above 2K rpm, there is definitely something wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts