Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only just become apparent since owning the Mito from last September, that the mirrors and windows are giving me slightly weird perspectives on how far objects are away from me.

For instance, my rear window makes me think I'm about to hit a wall when reversing, when I'm in fact nowhere near it. The same goes for my front windscreen. Stopped at a traffic light behind a car the other day and noticed the reflection in the building window across the street. From my perspective, I had edged up fairly close to the car - enough for something the size of a wheel chair or pram to get across in front but when I saw the reflection in the building, I could clearly see quite a big gap in front - perhaps double of what I thought it was.

My rear view mirror does the same thing and makes me think the car behind is right up my back end but then I have to remind myself that it's probably no more closer than I am to the car in front.

What's with that? Is it just me or is this done on purpose by design? If it is, then I find it quite silly because my perception of reality is being distorted and I don't want to have to make risky compensation judgements during those times when you're in a tricky parking/maneuvering situation.

My car before I got this one was a P-reg and what I saw in the mirror was exactly what I got - no mirror or window/perspective trickery.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It's only just become apparent since owning the Mito from last September, that the mirrors and windows are giving me slightly weird perspectives on how far objects are away from me.

For instance, my rear window makes me think I'm about to hit a wall when reversing, when I'm in fact nowhere near it. The same goes for my front windscreen. Stopped at a traffic light behind a car the other day and noticed the reflection in the building window across the street. From my perspective, I had edged up fairly close to the car - enough for something the size of a wheel chair or pram to get across in front but when I saw the reflection in the building, I could clearly see quite a big gap in front - perhaps double of what I thought it was.

My rear view mirror does the same thing and makes me think the car behind is right up my back end but then I have to remind myself that it's probably no more closer than I am to the car in front.

What's with that? Is it just me or is this done on purpose by design? If it is, then I find it quite silly because my perception of reality is being distorted and I don't want to have to make risky compensation judgements during those times when you're in a tricky parking/maneuvering situation.

My car before I got this one was a P-reg and what I saw in the mirror was exactly what I got - no mirror or window/perspective trickery.
I've thought that about the rear-view mirror sometimes when parking. I'm not sure its a deliberate "trickery" on Alfa's part though, but if it is then I guess its better to be further away than what you see rather than vice-versa!

G

·
Same on all modern cars. (= physically smaller rear-view mirror perhaps?)

You might need some of those US style "Object Appear Smaller.." stickers. ;)

·
Administrator
88,342 Posts
You might need some of those US style "Object Appear Smaller.." stickers. ;)

I thinks those warnings are all in the manual, It's always worth a read & would save many questions being asked on forums :lol:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i've realised this as well, i owned a jag saloon before the mito, it had a four foot long boot that you couldn't see from the drivers seat but i could park it fine, i have parked the mito a few times, thinking i'm near to the car behind and when i have got out noticed that there is a four foot gap between the cars, i'm getting used to it now though. as nev said i think if you've owned older cars for so long the modern ones have differences.

·
Administrator
88,342 Posts
Is this a wind up? :confused:
From your perspective it appears to be :cheese: You might not be as close as you think though in reality :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts