Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had our Mito just over 2yrs and do not usually get rid of a car till 3 or 4 yrs, not that we are unhappy with it we still Love it and it is the best car we have had.
Stealer called me last week and said he could do us a good deal on a new car,[nothing new there!]. Anyway went down just out of curiosity and test drove a Giulietta 1.4 170 bhp multiair WOW:D
And so we were once again hooked on another Alfa. did not want new [vat] so asked what they had used, came up with 2.0jtdm 170 Veloce , 8 months old, 8 tho miles ex Alfa Managers car?. Anthracite Grey[which we wanted] rear parking sensors, red calipers,[perhaps more i hope!]
Now i know this may sound daft but, never had a diesel before! although i have always fancied one, and this was the only model we could get with low miles/spec.
I once drove 159 2.0 jtdm which i enjoyed and loved the low down torque. I have not driven [as of yet] the car we are buying which may sound odd but we do have the option of backing out if we do not like.
So for all you oil burners out there what do you think? will i get used to the noise of diesel? is this too big an engine for me, mainly local 30 mile round trip, several trips to Wales a year, 1 to Scotland. I am not a flat out driver but of course Love D mode!
Any input would be most welcome:thumbs:

·
Registered
320 Posts
...So for all you oil burners out there what do you think? will i get used to the noise of diesel? is this too big an engine for me, mainly local 30 mile round trip, several trips to Wales a year, 1 to Scotland. I am not a flat out driver but of course Love D mode!
Any input would be most welcome:thumbs:
My OH has has a MJ MiTo 1.6. Great power. Averaging 50mpg on a lot of country runs. She would be an easy enough driver. For me I find the car a bit noisey but when it warms up its fine. Feels nose heavy. If I was buying a MJ for myself I would opt for the smaller 1.3 MJ since its supposedly quieter and preferably pre-DPF with the six speed.

I have heard great reports about the 2.0 MJ being a high performance car but I personally prefer a petrol engine. Since I would do less than 7K miles on the one car and do mostly town driving a diesel wouldn't suit.

If you are looking for economy and you are not really an all out driver why not opt for the 135 MA with possibly the TCT. If you are doing less than 15K a year it would be hard to justify a diesel. I would be of the belief that diesel is best on the motorway.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My OH has has a MJ MiTo 1.6. Great power. Averaging 50mpg on a lot of country runs. She would be an easy enough driver. For me I find the car a bit noisey but when it warms up its fine. Feels nose heavy. If I was buying a MJ for myself I would opt for the smaller 1.3 MJ since its supposedly quieter and preferably pre-DPF with the six speed.

I have heard great reports about the 2.0 MJ being a high performance car but I personally prefer a petrol engine. Since I would do less than 7K miles on the one car and do mostly town driving a diesel wouldn't suit.

If you are looking for economy and you are not really an all out driver why not opt for the 135 MA with possibly the TCT. If you are doing less than 15K a year it would be hard to justify a diesel. I would be of the belief that diesel is best on the motorway.
Many Thanks for that. Yes the 135ma was my next choice and probably suit my driving/mielage more than a .diesel.Would have loved tct but Wife would struggle with that,[+she has never used D mode!] We needed a bigger car 4 door for grandkids , must be an age thing! At the end of the day it is still an Alfa and that was what we both wanted.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Test drove the 235bhp clover leaf giilietta today, compared to my 95 mito it flys! Deffinately tempted
Haha I'm sure it does fly, I had a 135bhp Mito as a courtesy car and that flew compared to my 95bhp!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the TBs feel (and are) much faster than the 95 :(

I would only get the diesel if I was going to be doing a lot of miles - like 15K + per year. Of course, if you're getting it quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent petrol model (?) it may make more sense.
Thanks Oggy. Costing us 18£tho so it does work out cheaper, plus i think diesels hold value better in long run? intend keeping for next 4yrs and may start doing more miles as there is also more leg room for me[6'4]. Of course prob' be a new model out in the not too distant future and will again be tempted to change!:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Thanks Oggy. Costing us 18£tho so it does work out cheaper, plus i think diesels hold value better in long run? intend keeping for next 4yrs and may start doing more miles as there is also more leg room for me[6'4]. Of course prob' be a new model out in the not too distant future and will again be tempted to change!:thumbs:
Sounds pretty good. A new G would be sweet, but the finances won't take it at the moment - maybe I'll buy yours in 4 years time! :lol:

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Test drove the 235bhp clover leaf giilietta today, compared to my 95 mito it flys! Deffinately tempted
Hmm, I think I need to test-drive me one of those. I haven't really given it much consideration before now but maybe it is time for and 'upgrade', maybe! Trouble is I lurve my MiTO too much (I prefer it over the Giulietta in terms of look) but having a test drive might change that.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hmm, I think I need to test-drive me one of those. I haven't really given it much consideration before now but maybe it is time for and 'upgrade', maybe! Trouble is I lurve my MiTO too much (I prefer it over the Giulietta in terms of look) but having a test drive might change that.
I agree on looks, except i prefer the front of the giulietta.

I think im going to get one but wait for a few months to make the most out of the alloys and tires i just bought.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Giulietta QV looks cool :cool: .............though way to pricey when spec up :eek: think id prefer the 4C when it comes out :thumbs:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, been driving a Mito 1.6 Jtdm for almost 12 months now, first diesel car I've owned.

I love the low rev power from the engine and it's a lot of fun in Dynamic mode but it does sound like a van when it starts up or idles!

The diesel engine definitely weighs in much heavier at the front than its petrol-engined counterparts, had a petrol Mito as a courtesy car a while ago and the steering felt massively sharper and more responsive than mine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Theres a giulietta cloverleaf on sale for 19k in anthracite grey at the glasgow dealers with 3000 miles on it, very very tempted

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Hi, been driving a Mito 1.6 Jtdm for almost 12 months now, first diesel car I've owned.

I love the low rev power from the engine and it's a lot of fun in Dynamic mode but it does sound like a van when it starts up or idles!

The diesel engine definitely weighs in much heavier at the front than its petrol-engined counterparts, had a petrol Mito as a courtesy car a while ago and the steering felt massively sharper and more responsive than mine.

Good luck!
I'm quite surprised to hear there would be that much difference. I've not driven a diesel Mito yet. Wonder if the 1.3 JTD is any lighter? :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts