Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got bored and decided that the normal halogen headlights weren't up scratch. So I bought myself some LED headlights, I was thinking about getting a HID kit but I didn't fancy messing around too much and it's easier than tapping bolts in to the bay.
So from what I leaned is that it is a pain in the arse :rage:, incredibly fiddly but to make it easier you can remove the airbox since the drivers side is the hardest one to get to, the Passenger side was easy enough as you can see what your doing more. still awkward though.
You also don't need encoders or resisters like the DRL's I ended up wasting money on them but I wasn't sure since I couldn't find any other thread on it.
The way I did it was setting up the LED bulbs I personally used Novsight H7 10000LM (I'll post the Amazon like below). I also needed some H7 bulb holders since the bulbs socket and holder are one in the same (also below). I needed to twist the washer off the LED base and put the bulb holder under it.
After the LED's where set up I took the old bulbs out and plugged the LED into the socket, then pushed it in the headlight housing under the bulb lens so it was out the way. I then spent ages trying to secure the LED in the lens since it wasn't a perfect fit.
Once securely fitted I used 3M mounting foam and secured the power brick to the motor at the outer side of the headlight housing (the motor), then cut a small slot for the wires so I could make it water tight.

I was worried about melting the lens or melting wires ect. but I haven't had any issues at all so far. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to ungraded their headlight with out fitting a HID kit.
It only took about an hour to do once I worked out the easiest way to do it.
I also took it for an MOT since it was due anyway and to make sure that they won't blind anyone like the illegal HID conversions and followed the correct lines, they had no issues at all with them at all.

LED's (Might not be there if your reading late).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BLTNDK5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bulb holder H7 (as above).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073P1RMNZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed LED bulbs in my mito and it's a must have upgrade. Bright enough, and never had issues with blinding other drivers

In the installation process, the hardest part is definetly installing the LED plastic bulb holders.
did you you manage to remove the original H7 Halogen bulb holder without breaking it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed LED bulbs in my mito and it's a must have upgrade. Bright enough, and never had issues with blinding other drivers

In the installation process, the hardest part is definetly installing the LED plastic bulb holders.
did you you manage to remove the original H7 Halogen bulb holder without breaking it?
Yeah fitting the bulb holder was the hardest part by far, I needed to take the air box out for the drivers side but the passengers side wasn't as bad. I found that they kept popping off.
I was surprised that I didn't get a bulb warning on the dash considering you do when you change DRLs to LEDs, Still haven't done that since I don't really want to be using scotch locks or cutting into wires. have you don't the DRLs?

·
Registered
69 Posts
JD - Very interesting.... I have previously bought LED 'bulbs' to try and fit my Mito and never got them to fit into the unit.
I think I see my now rather obvious error (I think) - Once removed the original bulb, am I right in thinking that the retaining 'ring' can also be removed from the main unit?? and thus revealing a larger hole for the LED bub unit to fit?

Almost tempted to go grab a torch and look now (almost midnight lol), but will wait til morning now.

I have had LED in my GT6 and 110 for a few years now and totally awesome, and leave the Mito in the dark - literally

Cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
You mean the bracket which the adapter attches to?
The ring stays in the headlight unit. You have to shove your hand and fiddle with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JD - Very interesting.... I have previously bought LED 'bulbs' to try and fit my Mito and never got them to fit into the unit.
I think I see my now rather obvious error (I think) - Once removed the original bulb, am I right in thinking that the retaining 'ring' can also be removed from the main unit?? and thus revealing a larger hole for the LED bub unit to fit?

Almost tempted to go grab a torch and look now (almost midnight lol), but will wait til morning now.

I have had LED in my GT6 and 110 for a few years now and totally awesome, and leave the Mito in the dark - literally

Cheers
The way I did it was by was by buying a new ring to go around the LED bulb I'll try to take pictures over the weekend to show what I mean a little better, a step by step guide is one thing but an illustrated one is better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, I have ordered the bits from Amazon..... JD, appreciate the offer of a photo or two....like you say, it's quite tight for space.
The job will have to wait til I get back now.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not a problem I'll try to get them up over the weekend when I'm back home. I get them as detailed as possible.
I'll upload some of the High beams and Fog lights too once I've done them. The headlight looks good but when you have the DRL's and the Fogs as a yellowish colour, it does look a bit, dare I say, crappy XD Not as consistent as I would like. So once I do them (if possible) I'll upload some photos of them too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I managed to get some pictures of how I fit them and where I put connections and such.
So with the bulbs that I have you can twist off the H7 fitment washer (Image 1) and the fit the H7 adaptor underneath the washer (Image 2).
(Image 3).
Then I obviously plugged it in(Image 4), then to hide it, I tucked it away in the bulb housing (Image 5).
The next step was to try and fit the bulb. The adaptor wasn't perfect and a little tricky with the tight space like We've said, which is why on the drivers side I got rid of the air box to make more room to play (Image 6).
The I used 3M mounting foam and stuck the Power brick to motor (I think its the Motor anyway) and cut into the dust cover (Image 7).
What I have found and might get is a dust cover which has a hole cut out for the LED cooling fan. I wish I found it before I started cutting thing up.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0771FG3MQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXO8DJIYCNI8Z.
So I would say learn from my mistakes and give this ago instead of cutting slots. :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice work JD :thumbu p: - I have yet to make a start on mine..... It's been so nice recently, I have been making the most of it and getting out in the GT6. Need to do it this summer before the next winter for sure

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice work JD :thumbu p: - I have yet to make a start on mine..... It's been so nice recently, I have been making the most of it and getting out in the GT6. Need to do it this summer before the next winter for sure
Yeah the weather proper nice recently I don't blame you for wanting to get out, I like to work on my car in the sun, few beer and few new things to fit nothing better. you enjoy yourself mate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I replaced my halogens with LEDs as well. I found that no matter how much I fiddled, the LED on the driver's side goes in further than the one on the passenger's side. Also, the one on the passenger's side jumps out of the socket ocasianally. Worth mentioning that I tried with both adapters and the result was the same.

JD221, you mentioned you had some issues as well. Can you confirm please?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts