Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes - he is obviously going to Renault. It will be tough for him to get out of the clause he obviously has with VW. I believe it could take up to a year for him to be able to show up at Renault. He can do some work from home, but it is - obviously - not the same.

He can move to France and set up an office, where people can visit - wearing hoods :eek:)

·
Registered
32,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was at Ford we had a new European Design director from Opel called Martin Smith.He had a similar clause but got round it by working on the new Mondeo full-size clays at a contract house in London while he “waited”.

And no, I wasn’t all that serious about Mr DeMeo.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I must get this off my chest - or I can`t go to sleep: many years ago FIAT had the directors restaurant, where they all had lunch, in the cellar of their largest factory - Mirafiori. Then they could drive/be driven right up to the door - all to avoid Brigato Rosso,

·
Registered
257 Posts
I believe we will have another case of ex-commandos doing "dirty work" for someone. He can team up with Ghosn.

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
When I was at Ford we had a new European Design director from Opel called Martin Smith.He had a similar clause but got round it by working on the new Mondeo full-size clays at a contract house in London while he “waited”.

And no, I wasn’t all that serious about Mr DeMeo.
Was Martin Smith the chap that designed the ur Quattro? (Or, slapped the flared wings on the coupe?)

·
Registered
32,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Martin was there when it happened. He’s very particular about what’s attributed to whom. He wrote a letter to Autocar on the subject of all the designers who claimed to be the creator of the Audi TT. I forget what he said but it was very direct. He was at Porsche before Audi when the 928, with its very organic version of the Quattro blisters. I understood he was asked when he joined Opel for the next “thing” and he described the blisters which then appeared on the Corsa.

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Thanks Cue. Sorry for the late reply, but as I mentioned elsewhere the AO layout has gone nuts on my phone so I couldn’t see that you’d replied.

·
Registered
32,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Design Director is usually credited with the work as figurehead of the studio.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
When its a number of people all wanting their bit of design used (the studio) you finish up with something looking like the Triumph TR7, thank goodness those days are long gone.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I used to love the way the TR7 looked as a child growing up in the 70s. Mind you, that's 40-odd years ago now.
Remember being chuffed to get a brochure from the local British Leyland car dealer just round the corner from where we lived.
In recent years, a client had one parked up on his driveway as a 'project'. It'd still turn heads, but maybe not for the right reasons...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts