Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am a 156 JTD owner. My car is in the dealers for a bit of work so I have been loaned a MiTo JTD Veloce. It is interesting to see how much Alfa's have evolved since the 156 days. There is a lot more tech in them, but it still has some traits of the older cars. That aside though, it drinks like a fish. I have done 200 miles in a 13k mile example on exactly the same routes as my 156 it has averaged 36.7mpg, 4mpg less than my 156..........

Is this normal? :confused:

·
Registered
694 Posts
What sort of journey was it? I got 0.3 less than that out of my petrol model the last time I checked a full tank, and that's a full tank of revving the **** off it.
Even just around town roads I get 33.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I get more than that on my 155bhp petrol (depending on the journey).

Current tank (60miles of dual carriage way, 90 miles of london city stop / start) is at an average of 32 / 33 mpg.

I got 30mpg on my journey to work today (2.5 degrees, 10 miles, starts off as flowing traffic, ends up as stop / start). Typically get 28 / 29 mpg on the way home.

That is only with Shell V Power though - I was getting up to about 5 mpg less on regular fuel (in stop start traffic - on dual carriage ways, I was only getting 1 or 2 mpg less with regular fuel)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I tend to get 35-37mpg from my 155bhp petrol, so it does seem unusual for the diesel to be around the same.

·
0 Posts
I've never had much faith in a cars ability to report MPG - the only true test is the full tank method :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree - full tank method is the onyl reliable method. But so far I have been impressed with the mito - seems very very close to real mpg. My dad's (VW engined) car reported 47mpg total for a return trip to scotland. Great for a 2 tonne people car loaded with toys. (Until I remember that from past experience I know that the mpg readout is complete rubbish and is well off).

Still, ingorance is bliss....

·
Registered
694 Posts
But so far I have been impressed with the mito - seems very very close to real mpg.
Mine's been within 0.5 of the real MPG across two tanks of fuel, getting around 36MPG. I'm not really fussed by the MPG unless it's ridiculously low but it's nice to see it's close to the quoted and is reporting it quite accurately.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
My 95 Mito does around 38 /39 mpg, if I had the diesel I would be extremely annoyed if I was getting less than 45mpg. The computer has been really quite accurate, within 0.5 miles when giving mpg figures. I do a mpg calculation after every fill up.............. I really must get out more :lol:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I've never had much faith in a cars ability to report MPG - the only true test is the full tank method :)
+1 :thumbs: but the 159 is the first car I've had whose computer is close, the others were optimistically lying circuit boards.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I find my mito's one very close to real.

My dad's car (Ford Galaxy, but chassis, engine and all electrics are VW) is not at all accurate. It's well off!

But I recently did a return trip to Scotland with it, and it reckons I got 47mpg with 70mph on the cruise control. Ignorance is bliss :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts