1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Interest......

Alfa Romeo 2009 MiTo - Alfa MiTo turbos for Oz - Future Models

Alfa Oz confirms it will release two turbo MiTo micros inside two months

ALFA Romeo Australia has confirmed that its all-new MiTo hatchback range will be headlined by two turbo-petrol variants when it effectively replaces the three-door 147 ($36,990) as Alfa’s entry-level model here from July.

The midrange 88kW/206Nm MiTo 1.4 TB manual, which Alfa says sprints to 100km/h in 8.8 seconds, will be priced from about $32,000, while the flagship 114kW/230Nm 1.4TB, which sprints to 100km/h in a claimed eight seconds, will also undercut Alfa Romeo’s 147 five-door hatch, which is currently priced from $38,990 in 2.0-litre petrol guise.

Both turbo-petrol versions of the Fiat Punto-based MiTo will be available exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission.

Three trim levels will be available in Europe, though just two will be offered in Australia – both equipped as standard with Alfa’s Q2 electronic differential, 16x7.0-inch alloy wheels, an anti-lock braking system (ABS) with electronic stability control (ESC), seven airbags, including a driver’s knee airbag, air-conditioning and power windows/mirrors. Foglights will be an option on all but the top-spec 1.4TB, while other options will include Xenon headlights, daytime running lights and 17 and 18-inch wheels.

Alfa Romeo Australia general manager Edward Butler said car buyers would be pleasantly surprised by MiTo pricing and specifications when they were announced in July.

“I think anyone looking for a car that offers the blend of style, performance and luxury that sets all Italian cars apart from the rivals should wait until to July for MiTo,” he said.

The naturally-aspirated 1.4 16V variant will not be available here, and New Zealand officially will receive only the high-output 1.4-litre engine, but Ateco Automotive has also homologated the 66kW 1.3 and 88kW 1.6 JTDM turbo-diesel versions, which could become available at a later date.

The 147, which will soon be replaced by an all-new five-door model named the Milano, is available in manual 1.9 JTD Monza from ($41,990).

A high-performance GTA-badged version of the MiTo – which is “text-speak” for a combination of the two Italian cities Alfa Romeo calls home, Milan and Turin – will join the range in 2010. Previewed last year by the MiTo GTA Concept and powered by Fiat’s all-new direct-injection 1.7-litre turbo four, which offers up to 180kW, it will rival the likes of Mini’s circa-$40,000 Cooper S.

“The MiTo is enormously important to Alfa Romeo as it takes us into a whole new market sector,” said Mr Butler.

“Although Alfa Romeo has had small cars, starting with the legendary AlfaSud through to its modern successor, the Alfa Romeo 147, the Alfa MiTo is not just in the sector below the 147, it is focused totally on being a performance and style driven mini-coupe, not compromised by things like having to have a five door-version.

“This has enabled Alfa Romeo’s acclaimed stylists to produce a car that as a purity of shape that has not been seen before. This means that MiTo is as much a pure Alfa Romeo as the Spider or Brera – something that has never been seen before in the class in which it will compete.”

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You going for a look, Stori? I'll be interested in your opinion.
When it eventually arrives I will definitely have a good "sticky-beak' ;)
Not because I particularly want a base Mito (the GTA could be of interest) but because I am interested in seeing what Alfa did with the GPunto ,a car which I was not particularly impressed. Neither fit nor finish nor driving. My wife was particulary unimpressed with the FIAT version of Selespeed in one of the GPuntos I had been driving and the Diesel one I drove, a 1.3 if I remember correctly, was IMO, particularly agricultural.

To be honest the cars I wanted or were interested in were
1) Alfa 147 GTA but had some financial problems when it was available.NB I have never bought a 2nd hand Alfa Romeo in the last 30 years. and never had a second hand car since 1979. The only 2 being a Mini 850 and a 1975 VW Superbug 1600.

2) Alfa GT...found the seats particularly uncomfortable with the sqab to0 small . A real disapointment as I really like genuine 2+2 coupes.

3) Alfa 159. Not a bad car but I am not exacly a sedan person. I have only had two 4 door cars in my life. The 147 and a 1981 Guillietta 1.8 which was a bad mistake. I really seriously looked at the 159 but could not get excited enough to part with real money even though I needed a new car.

4) Brera. Great looks except for the truncated side view and a stupid 2 +2 Gnome interior . Inside it was like sitting inside a 159 much like the GT is a series 1, Alfa 147 . For the price the interior was a disapointment. Whilst I could accept a 147 interior in a GT, the Brera needed something special.

But then who am I to talk...I now have a Volvo C30 2.4i :lol:
Not a good looker and not perfect but I do like a bloody big normally aspirated motor in a small car .
PS And at the same price a Mito will be in Australia...

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I clicked on this thread hoping to have a laugh at how Alfa Romeo had somehow made leather standard on all Australian-delivered Mitos, but no such luck. ;)
;)
I think you can get fabric on these cars in OZ..i.e the Mito and I believe that fabric is available on the 147 again in order to reduce cost.
I see quite a few Leather interiored cars with Sheepskin seat covers......

I have asked about fabric interiors in cars and I have been told that you cannot order them because the Italian's are so useless that they cannot cope with it on the production line ....sounds like a 'good' excuse. Still it has saved me a lot of money over the years. Better in my Pocket than Alfa Romeos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts