Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all

The heater blower stopped working in positions 1, 2 and 3 on my wife's Mito so I did the usual and replaced the heater resistor pack which solved the issue....for about 2 weeks!

Same issue came back so I put it down to bring unlucky and bought another 1. I have replaced this and the blowers work fine now but I've noticed the resistor pack gets red hot and there's a feint smell of burning. Also the wires underneath the green coating almost seem to glow through it which seems worrying to me!

Is it normal for them to get very hot or do you think this issue could be elsewhere with a fault that's causing the resistor packs to burnout?

Any help greatly received

Cheers
Dale

·
Registered
253 Posts
Had/have same issue (don't want to tempt fate by saying it's gone). Something was causing mine to eat resistors last winter. Faulty resistors are common and it's well known these things get hot. There's two options if you keep destroying them though:

1) the wiring loom - Alfa released a revised wiring loom for the mito at some point and i was told this recognisable as one of the pins was missing on the connector (turns out mine already had this). unfortunately I cannot remember the details. Check for burn marks on the loom connectors as these can burn and would be a giveaway.
2) the motor itself - Over winter mine started munching resistors at about one a month, so I knew something was amiss. It was given away when after leaving the mito standing for a while i fired up the heater one time to an almighty screech where the motor had seized up. Switched it over and it's blowing much more freely now and no issues since. When I had a chat with the chap at alfa shop he said he was seeing a lot of people order the motors for the older mitos for this reason as well as whining motor sounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts