Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the headlights that really put me off this little beauty so I was just wondering if I ordered it with black headlight surrounds could the headlight units be taken apart and the inside sprayed black......i've done this already on my Lotus Exige and it doesn't half make a difference to the look of the front end?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It's the headlights that really put me off this little beauty so I was just wondering if I ordered it with black headlight surrounds could the headlight units be taken apart and the inside sprayed black......i've done this already on my Lotus Exige and it doesn't half make a difference to the look of the front end?
bloody hell, i'm not the only one who thought of this?! :D I thought i was just odd. I want a black mito with chrome surrounds and the insides of the lights painted black - but i wasn't sure if it was legal in Britain. How would it affect visibility? :thumbs:
Oh, and any pictures of the Exige with lights on and lights off? :cool:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
The lights are supposed to be silver inside.. to reflect light out from the bulb. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hope to be a non Lotus owner soon........looking for 156 GTA SW!

Fancy another Lotus??????
1) You not got any pics on your Lotus with lights on and off? I'd really appreciate them.
2) Why do you want to get rid of the Lotus? Time for something more grown up, perhaps? :(

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
1) You not got any pics on your Lotus with lights on and off? I'd really appreciate them.
2) Why do you want to get rid of the Lotus? Time for something more grown up, perhaps? :(

Great Avatar :thumbs: ... 5 .. 4 .. 3 ...2 ... 1 ... (just waiting for the infraction :thumbs:)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The lights are supposed to be silver inside.. to reflect light out from the bulb. :)

Ralf S.
As long as you don't spray the operative part of the lamp and just the surrounding area that serves no purpose other than to follow the general shape of the lamp, you can spray away to your hearts content! :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
As long as you don't spray the operative part of the lamp and just the surrounding area that serves no purpose other than to follow the general shape of the lamp, you can spray away to your hearts content! :)
But it would surely ruin all night-time visibility?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
But it would surely ruin all night-time visibility?
no, imo it's no different to the 147 & 156 GTA style headlight mod.
Take lights out, split em open, take out central bit, paint it, replace and reseal lights...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would that still be needed if you have bi-xenon lights?

In this weeks Auto Express they have pictures of the new 149.......and guess what.......
the inside of the headlight cluster is black!!!!!

What a difference!!!!

U

·
0 Posts
The inside of the light housing will have no positive effect on the projection of the beam, which is controlled by the reflector and the lens.
A silver housing will actually cause light scatter in an upwards direction - and in, for example, foggy conditions this is a VERY BAD THING.
The housing would be better in black to cut the scatter - it would also work better without the sloping glass - but thats a whole new argument.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Can someone do a proper photoshop? Here's my botch-job.
I think it would only look good with no chrome trim. Could anyone do that, please?
As it is, i'd rather have it with the clear headlight covers. Although i still quite like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Well, There you go Knievel, clearly - with Kamran's much more advanced photoshop - we can see that smoking the lights makes it look a fair bit different, possibly even the best looking car ever. The shape seems much more svelte now.

:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts