Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
havnt noticed but the on mine only ngot 105 out of her so far .....on a private rd of course:cheese:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Felt the back step out a couple of times on frosty mornings in the very early days but now I've got more used to the car not noticed any handling problems in normal use, but on a track and pushing it to the limit, maybe a different story!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have always had no problems with the handling, even driving through some national speed limit country roads where I have pushed it for a bit have found no problems or anything.

I

·
Registered
848 Posts
Anyone taken their Mito for a track day session? I'd love to know how that torsion beam rear compares to a 147's multilink setup.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My first experience with the MiTo actually was on the track, next to an Alfa test-driver who clearly knew the car inside-out, so it was a bit of a strange experience (though he still held back). When I was allowed to drive it there, the car felt a lot more confident and agile than my 147, which is very nose-heavy (it's a diesel, never drove a 1.6TS). Due to this, the 147's front wheels lose grip when entering a corner too fast, you get a massive amount of understeer. In the MiTo however, you get a slight indication of understeer which almost instantly becomes oversteer, and the back gets loose a bit. In the 147 the only thing you can do is let go of everything and hope for the best if you let this happen, in the MiTo on the other hand, this oversteer was very controllable with the throttle and steering wheel. Since Alfa fitted huge brakes to compensate for using them for all the electronic trickery, they are fantastic for track use. I also clearly notice my 147 could use a front differential, but never felt this on the MiTo, that electronic Q2 seems to do the trick there without you ever feeling it. Body roll in my 147 is bad because I have the facelift version with the standard 'soft' suspension setup, but a friend of mine had one with the sports suspension setup - and he said the MiTo is about the same when cornering hard, but for normal driving he thought is was more comfortable.

I had heard about the MiTo's suspension setup before entering the car, but when driving it, it never came to mind. Next day when visiting the Mirafiori plant we actually saw a MiTo turned 90 degrees in the assembly line and it was a bit of a shock to actually see the simplicity of the rear suspension. I don't know how it would translate into real-world figures, but all-in-all, the MiTo feels a lot better handling-wise - and is certainly more of a toy-car than the 147.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks to me like simple driver input, didn't exaclty shoot off like a rocket and looks to be getting a feel for the car in the first corners

1 - 10 of 10 Posts