Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. :D

I'm sorry but if I owned a big grand-touring type Maserati, I'd be severely disappointed if I wound up with a small, econo-box, cheapest-model-of-the-marque Alfa as my courtesy car. Not that I personally have anything to say against a MiTo, but in any objective measure it is no way a replacement for a Maserati.

So, straight from the Alfa head office...

Maserati chooses the Alfa Romeo MiTo for its European service network

One hundred Alfa Romeo MiTos, produced exclusively for Maserati’s service network will soon be circulating on roads throughout Europe. For Maserati, the Alfa Romeo MiTo is the perfect “Courtesy Car” for customers who clearly appreciate Italian style and unique products.

The special MiTos will be marked out by their Maserati Ocean Blue body colour, and will be equipped with the most powerful engine in the entire MiTo range – the very lively, 170 HP, 1.4 MultiAir Turbo petrol engine.

In addition to their special body colour, the MiTos will feature another two exclusive details: a ‘Limited Edition’ plate on the air conditioning system and special aluminium kick plates bearing the words “Alfa Romeo for Maserati”.

All one hundred cars will feature be generously equipped: Frau leather seats, automatic dual zone air conditioning, a leather steering wheel with radio and telephone controls, a map-based Radionavigation unit with maps covering the whole of Europe, the Blue&Me hands-free system with USB port, and bi-xenon headlights.

The MiTo for Maserati will also stand out due to its exceptional sporting performance. It is fitted as standard with 18 inch alloy wheels, a rear spoiler, a sporty rear bumper and aluminium pedal unit. They will also be fitted as standard with Dynamic Suspension, the advanced electronic control system that varies suspension configuration actively and continuously according to road conditions and driver input, ensuring lightning-quick cornering and amazing sensitivity.

Thanks to this special initiative with Alfa Romeo, Maserati’s European service network will be able to offer its customers a very special car, completely in line with Maserati philosophy, according to which even the smallest detail is meticulously and attentively chosen.

Turin, 26th January 2010
--Toronto

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I have never understood the attitude to courtesy cars. They are there to keep you mobile while work is being carried out on your own car. As long as they are clean, new (ish), and have fuel in what is the problem?

·
0 Posts
I have never understood the attitude to courtesy cars. They are there to keep you mobile while work is being carried out on your own car. As long as they are clean, new (ish), and have fuel in what is the problem?

Like for like is more desirable IMO

If I took my (fantasy) Quattroporte in for service, I would expect something similar as a courtesy car

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I can't see any problem in this to be honest. The MiTo may be bottom of the range but it's not rubbish nor is it a low class car not worthy of a Maserati owner. As has been said, the Fiat 500 is being used for the Ferrari network so a MiTo for the Maser network makes sense. I really can't see Ferrari or Maserati having a fleet of 159's or Brera's just as courtesy cars. I also think it is a great way to sell cars. A MiTo or 500 is worth peanuts to one of these rich Ferrari/Maser owners and I wonder how many have bought one as a fun runaround for themselves or for their children, wife, maid..... in fact, if you visit Milan, you will see a lot of very wealthy people driving into town in small cars. Perfect fashion accesory/shopping trolly! :)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, please. How many rants have I read on this forum that start out, "I took my car in for service and was given a ... [insert lower end car here] as a courtesy car"? If you as an Alfa owner get upset because you've give a Ford, a Vauxhall, a VW, a whatever, do you really think a Maserati owner wants to be given a MiTo. Somehow I don't think they'll care that it's still Italian.

If they suddenly show up for their business meeting/date/etc. with a tiny little MiTo can you imagine the ribbing they'll take? I can just see the posts on MaseratiOwner.com. "They had the nerve to fob off this four-cylinder runabout as a like-for-like courtesy car." Jaguar/Aston/etc. would never do that."
--Toronto

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Perfect little car for Masi owners.

I can see there being very little complaints...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
that Mito in the Masser blue looks great, when all you're after is a run around for a few hours as long as it's clean, tidy, working and of the same 'brand' group who cares ?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I reckon it will do the maserati/ferrari owners good to drive a cheap car like a mito or 500 for a day or two. They will realise that all the money they payed for their supercar is basically for the brand name and to show off to other rich people, and that a small 170bhp mito will give amazing performance considering the price difference. Obviously in terms of straight line speed the mito will never compare unless it was given a bigger engine or modified heavily, but in the real world they may find it easier to drive....
It may even convince them to get a small city car for every day runabouts, especially for their wife/kids, instead of giving them a porsche boxster for example, which they will crash.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Maybe selling 100 MiTos to Maserati is an easy way for Fiat to boost Alfa's sales? :lol:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Do you expect them to build an extra 100 Maseratis just as courtesy cars? What a waste of money that would be. I don't see the problem. When i'm given a coutsery car I don't care what it is so long as I get one. The fact that Maserati have commisioned these special one offs just for their customers is pretty good I would say.:thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
They are drooling over it in the MiTo lounge,
but I'm with you on this one TS.
Maybe it's a nicely finished small car for the likes of us, but hardly an ideal courtesy car
for a ultra premium brand like Masserati.

Basically it's the cheapest Fiat group car they could find with
leather as a option. ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
What does a Quattroporte come out as? £100,000 plus?
I'd be massively annoyed if I ended up with a courtesy car worth less than a fifth of what my car was worth, of an entirely different class of car AND it's just a small hatch (which is fine if you want a small hatch, but if you've bought a big sports saloon why would you be happy with being given a small hatch?). I'd expect a top of the range 159 or Brera as a bare minimum if it had to be Fiat group but personally I'd be expecting something in the £60-70k bracket.

If my MiTo was in getting work done and they gave me a Chevrolet Lacetti I'd think it was an absolute joke - and there's much less of a price and car type difference there.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
sorry lads but if i owned a Quattroporte & someone handed me the keys to a MiTo i'd laugh at them, theres no way in hell after spending so much money on a motor would i accept a bottom of the range Alfa.

Now if someone gave me a MiTo when i leave my 10 year old 166 in for a service i'd snatch their hands off & drive it like i stole it!

But not if i owned a Maser!

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
I guess it would be interesting to hear what a Maserati customer thought.
I'm not sure really but I tend to be of the same opinion as Mitch on this one.
I'm far more concerned with availability than what the courtesy car is. It is
annoying if the dealer wants your car for several days but has no courtesy
car available for you in the mean time :(

R

·
0 Posts
I think Maserati are playing a blinder!!! You take your MC12/gransport to the dealership, they give you a 170hp car for the day. You drive around all day in it and then go back to the dealer to pick up your MC12/gransport, and fuggin hell they've transformed it into a starship!!!! Motorbike dealers have been pulling the same con for 60 years!!! Lend you a dog for the day and you can't fail to be pleased to jump into your 500 horsepower car!!

Please note I don't think the Mito is a dog, but just trying to point out it all comes back to Einsteins theory of relativity!! Maserati's are relatively better than Mito's(if you are rich!!):cheese:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts