Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a 147 with the Twin Spark 2.0, I thought the Mito's turbo powerplant didn't have much of a voice. The TS loved to rev its little head off and gave a lovely metallic howl from 4000rpm onwards. Not as meaty as a V6 but smoother and with lots more character than other similarly-sized engines.

The Mito seemed a bit quiet at first but now it's loosened up (13000 km) and I think it sounds great. There's a deep growl at low rpm accompanied by the whoosh of sucking air, all the way to a mad crescendo at 6000rpm. It's surprisingly smooth too - there's none of the initial raggedness as when the mileage was low.

I'm wondering how Alfa tune the engine sound. The exhaust rumbles and throbs a bit at low speed but at higher speeds, the only thing I can hear is the engine up front, which makes me reluctant to go for a louder aftermarket exhaust. The Fiat Bravo which uses the same 1.4TB engine doesn't make anywhere near as much noise or sound as good.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Normally for any engine design, the noise is largely controlled by the induction system.
i.e. the design of the inlet tract including air filter system , the type of cams, the Exhaust manifold design and composition and type of the metal used in the Exhaust manifold etc determine the final noise. Obviously sound proofing changes what you hear finally.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The mito sounds great for a little 1.4 engine. (Long while since I've had a TS and not sure they compare but Mito sounds very satisfying when pushed) Same they didnt do the same with the 1750TBi that went in the 159, its like being sat in the proverbial church due to the lack of engine noise. Not very Alfa at all :(

S

·
0 Posts
I test drove a MiTo 155 yesturday and I was very supprised in how the engine sounded, it sounded nice and different to a Twin Spark. I love the sound of the Twin Spark but the 155 sounded more grrr, very hushed until opened.

Where as the Twin Spark sounds sweet at slow speeds then when you open the taps it just goes mental and that for me is what I prefer.

But after all it is all down to what the buyer prefers :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
My TS sounds awesome, but I was still very pleasantly surprised by the mito.

A little muted, but a nice deep sound.

The best bit is when the overboost kicks in, it's got nothing on the sound a supercharger, but i still like it!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I test drove a MiTo 155 yesturday and I was very supprised in how the engine sounded, it sounded nice and different to a Twin Spark. I love the sound of the Twin Spark but the 155 sounded more grrr, very hushed until opened.

Where as the Twin Spark sounds sweet at slow speeds then when you open the taps it just goes mental and that for me is what I prefer.

But after all it is all down to what the buyer prefers :)
you looking at getting a Mito now mate?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hell I could have told you that Scott!!

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

GK

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Never driven the 155bhp but the 120bhp sounds great at tick over. Excellent fun on the twistys too...reminded me a lot of my 145 QV.

G

·
0 Posts
The mito sounds great for a little 1.4 engine. (Long while since I've had a TS and not sure they compare but Mito sounds very satisfying when pushed) Same they didnt do the same with the 1750TBi that went in the 159, its like being sat in the proverbial church due to the lack of engine noise. Not very Alfa at all :(

It's only because you are being spoilt with the sound from your modded 2.2 ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
When FPT (Fiat Powertrain Technolegies) develop a new engine they are told they have to make alfa's unique to the brand to maintain the character that we all know and love so i would imagine they are slighty different to it's fiat counterparts saying that i haven't heard a 155tb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts