Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did end up buying a Mito a few days ago...and I've been bitten by the tuning bug already.

I got the 2013 1.4tb Multiair TCT with 99kw/135hp and it has approx. 40k miles on it. It was driven by a lady, only in N mode for its entire life. No thrashing of any sort, just sensible driving.

After extensive forum searching, I've decided on doing the following:

1. BMC panel air filter

2. TMC chip tuning box with app/phone control

3. TMC autoflash gearbox tune

Now my question. Would the power upgrades this provides require a completely new exhaust system to function as it should? Or have these chips been created to operate on completely stock Mitos?

Also, how much wear and tear do the chips add to the Mito, seeing as they access the 'reserve' power and put the engine/transmission to its limits? Taking into consideration this Mito is at 40k miles already.

I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most tuning box chips are specifically designed to work with stock vehicles, however they should work seamlessly with modifications that do not change engine geometry or alter the ECU data, such as exhausts, intake upgrades e.t.c. From my experience we get a safe performance increase to 166 BHP and and 253 Nm of torque out of the 1.4 TBi engine so it might be worth checking what the tuning company quote with regards to the 'limits' of the engine and transmission.

If you opt for a system that does not overwrite any ECU data, they work well within the limits of the car, so will not cause any excess wear - dependent on how the car is driven. With respect to the gearbox tune on the six-speed dry dual clutch gearbox, it will again depend on how reserved your driving style is to how much wear is caused. I hope this helps! - Mason at TDI-Tuning

·
Registered
61 Posts
The standard exhaust is ok, there's only one silencer which isn't hugely restrictive.

For ultimate performance you want as little back pressure after the turbo, so going for every single Bhp you'd chuck the catalyst in the bin and fit an exhaust the size of a drainpipe.

If you need to replace the exhaust at any point you it might be worth fitting a less restrictive rear box, you may want to for a little more volume anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The standard exhaust is ok, there's only one silencer which isn't hugely restrictive.

For ultimate performance you want as little back pressure after the turbo, so going for every single Bhp you'd chuck the catalyst in the bin and fit an exhaust the size of a drainpipe.

If you need to replace the exhaust at any point you it might be worth fitting a less restrictive rear box, you may want to for a little more volume anyway.
Swapping out the backbox for say, a ragazzon, won't improve performance, just volume?

May invest in a new down pipe to get the most out of the tuning box!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Swapping out the backbox for say, a ragazzon, won't improve performance, just volume?

May invest in a new down pipe to get the most out of the tuning box!
Be very wary of the phenomenon of back pressure, as this can get very technical very quickly. It's all about the timing and magnitude of the expansion (return) wave of 'back pressure' coinciding with valve overlap to assist with scavenging - with every diameter and direction change, an expansion wave will be produced. Therefore you ideally want less restriction and a smooth diameter transition. Going with too large an exhaust diameter will also slow exhaust gas exit - it's best to leave these calculations with exhaust companies using software like Pipemax.

Swapping the backbox can differ the sound of the exhaust but can offer very little benefit with regard to power. However a downpipe would definitely be beneficial for performance!

Mason at TDI-Tuning

·
Registered
83 Posts
After extensive forum searching, I've decided on doing the following:

1. BMC panel air filter
2. TMC chip tuning box with app/phone control
3. TMC autoflash gearbox tune

Now my question. Would the power upgrades this provides require a completely new exhaust system to function as it should? Or have these chips been created to operate on completely stock Mitos?

Also, how much wear and tear do the chips add to the Mito, seeing as they access the 'reserve' power and put the engine/transmission to its limits? Taking into consideration this Mito is at 40k miles already.
I have 135 multiair and have fitted pipercross panel filter & bluespark tuning box.

The panel filter does not give any noticeable increase in power, although there is slightly more induction noise. The bluespark box does give a noticable increase in power, as if there is a D+ mode (similar in jump from N to D). Also means there can be a little turbo flutter/boost noises, presumably from the increased boost pressures being generated.

What I have heard confirms the above - the most restrictive part of the mito system is the cat, since there is no resonator and only a backbox. Autolusso can modify your original cat to remove the restriction, or you could buy a sports cat or decat instead.

Should give some small power gains on top of whatever the filter & tuning box have already achieved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 135 multiair and have fitted pipercross panel filter & bluespark tuning box.

The panel filter does not give any noticeable increase in power, although there is slightly more induction noise. The bluespark box does give a noticable increase in power, as if there is a D+ mode (similar in jump from N to D). Also means there can be a little turbo flutter/boost noises, presumably from the increased boost pressures being generated.

What I have heard confirms the above - the most restrictive part of the mito system is the cat, since there is no resonator and only a backbox. Autolusso can modify your original cat to remove the restriction, or you could buy a sports cat or decat instead.

Should give some small power gains on top of whatever the filter & tuning box have already achieved.
I live in Australia, where going through with a decat can cost you severely. Some states can issue fines between $10,000 and $22,000 if caught and the car is listed as defected and cannot be driven until changes are made.

You could possibly get away with a sports cat that has a lower cpsi.

How do you find the bluespark tuning box? The TMC one claims to take hp to 166, roughly 10hp more than what bluespark claims...but is it really worth the £100 or so extra?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I live in Australia, where going through with a decat can cost you severely. Some states can issue fines between $10,000 and $22,000 if caught and the car is listed as defected and cannot be driven until changes are made.

You could possibly get away with a sports cat that has a lower cpsi.

How do you find the bluespark tuning box? The TMC one claims to take hp to 166, roughly 10hp more than what bluespark claims...but is it really worth the £100 or so extra?
As I said above the bluespark does make a noticeable difference - I bought with a discount code, so was about £170... quite a bit cheaper than a TMC box. I didn't pay too much attention to the predicted gains stated on their sites, and went with the bluespark due to strong reviews on abarth forums, and price difference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Same here, same reasons for purchase and also happy with the bluespark on a 135.

I'd take any actual figures quoted for any tuning box with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Higher up the rev range power on a smaller turbod car is pretty limited by the flow through it regardless of how much boost you try and tell it to deliver, so I'd imagine there's not a great deal to chose between any of them. A proper remap is a little different as they might be able to tune a little more top end out by changing the fuelling and ignition, at the expense of eating into any built in safety margins.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have head multiair engines can be difficult to apply tune to, so would consider tuning box + supporting mods like downpipe/cat, intercooler etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have head multiair engines can be difficult to apply tune to, so would consider tuning box + supporting mods like downpipe/cat, intercooler etc.
I actually went this route with my qv, novitec chip tunning and later a decat
The decat downpipe also make a huge difference in the performace, the turbo now is more noticeble at low rpm increasing the torque and pulls a lot harder at higher rpm
and as a bonus the sound of the stock exaust is much louder on a very good way :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts